SAU Community

Motor Electrician

nghiagero

hey peepz, does anyone know a good motor electricial in melb? preferably in the S.E region? sumting keep suckin my battery dry n its not hte lights, when i stick the key in the engine checks dont come on and im sick of having to pop the bonnet and disconnecting the terminals after i finish driving the car.... any help much appreciated

cheers n have a good one guyz

theyre auto elecs?

qualified mechanics and quslified auto elecs are very different.

working out what is sucking a battery dry is hardly rocket science.

the auto elec is going to do the same thing anyone else would!

Test the battery and the volatage to determine if its the alternator not charging or the battery having a crook cell or two.

it only gets tricky when there are way tomany things that run off the battery whilst the key is off ie computers,relays,globes,timers,cdplayers,cbs brake unit then all you can do is do a process of elimantion

with a current meter

thats after you have established alt and battery are fine

sounds to me like someone is volunteering a free job....

:)

ive seen it done to my car. Case of getting out the multimeter and hunting i think.

im not saying i could do it. But mates of mine have done it once or twice and they certainly a-grade mechanics, nice backyard job ;)

working out what is sucking a battery dry is hardly rocket science.

the auto elec is going to do the same thing anyone else would!

Test the battery and the volatage to determine if its the alternator not charging or the battery having a crook cell or two.

neither is plumbing but u dont hire a sparky to find a leak in your pipes do you?

sure he might be able to find the obvious ones... but what about the ones they cant find? do they charge for the time it took before they realised they couldnt find the problem?

this is why you recommend people go to the right type of qualified people.

Here's the process:

Check that the battery and alternator are doing their jobs. The battery should not be much more than 14V with engine running. If it's less, then the alternator needs attention. If it's more, and increases with revs, then the regulator (in the alternator) is stoofed.

Now, disconnect the +ve terminal from the battery. Connect an ammeter (multimeter set on Amps) between the +ve battery terminal and the +ve clamp. There should be a current flow indicated. Now start pulling fuses until the current suddenly drops. That gives you the circuit that is causing the problem. Now start disconnecting stuff on that circuit to find out which one is causing the problem.

A common cause of this problem is the light in the boot not turning off properly. Next would be the alarm, closely followed by the CD / radio (the battery backup of the settings). In combo with a faulty / old battery, any of these could drain the battery overnight.

Hope that helps.

thanks for the replies guys!

this is the first time ive read the thread as ive been so busy with work n all. ill try my hand at some of the advices with a multimeter first to see if i can diagnose the problem tho i doubt it due to my very poor electrical skills.

btw i had the battery changed the first time it went flat, 2nd and 3rd time was when the battery was a brand new item.

also if i could get the number for brighton auto electrics taht wud b nice

cheers n thanks for all the help