SAU Community

Apexi Smart Accel Controller?

benriches

Apexi Smart Accel Controller?

Found this bad boy online http://www.apexi-usa.com/store/smart-accel-controller.html

Can't seem to find anyone who's put one in a Stagea. Reviews on other forums have been nothing but extreme praise in how it changes throttle response and acceleration, saying "it feels like a whole new car". 

Also for $200 delivered with an M35 Stagea-specific loom adapter, it seems like a good upgrade. The fact I can't find any info on them here is just making me a bit skeptical.

Anyone have any experience with this, or other throttle controllers in general? 

Initial impression: Great build quality, switch is discrete and is the same size if not slightly smaller than the blanking plates on the right hand side of the steering column. You could mount it to a blanking plate with double sided tape as a temp solution if you wished, or remove the blanking plate entirely and install it in-place. Comes with an English, and Japanese manual.

Install: Install was easy. It comes with a loom to hook into the reverse lights which changes the resistance curve when you engage reverse, but I didn't fit this. Just pulled the under steering column panel down (held in with a few clips) and disconnected the throttle position loom, plugged the APEXI unit in between the car and the pedal and it was good to go. I actually fitted it with no tools, in the dark.

Learning process: English manual is easy to understand - Turn ignition on and press "down" on the switch to begin the learning process. Depress pedal to floor, then press the "up" switch to set full throttle.

Actual driving: After I let the car warm up, I went straight to "high throttle" mode. It's fast. Throttle feels extremely responsive, especially coming out of corners. Almost like a proper cable, the car reacts immediately to any slight change in throttle position. I engaged "eco" mode on the last few K's of my drive home, it's pretty good. Especially around town - Depressing the pedal entirely still engages full throttle, but resistance curve makes the car extremely smooth and not "jolty". I'm sure it will save fuel in the long run for daily driving.

All in all, worth it for $215 delivered. I haven't played with the other modes yet, or had a proper spirited drive - But the difference is immediately noticeable. 

Edited by benriches
  • Like 4

Here's everything I received.

ZDb7SDS.jpg

Switch - APEXI logo illuminates respective to the throttle mode. It's not an obnoxious light, pretty dull.

ivbjb3R.jpg

Mounting surface

bdLUjdP.jpg

Cable can be routed either below the switch, or behind it for a seamless install on the dash

xPKgwsz.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, benriches said:

Install: Install was easy. It comes with a loom to hook into the reverse lights which changes the resistance curve when you engage reverse, but I didn't fit this. Just pulled the under steering column panel down (held in with a few clips) and disconnected the throttle position loom, plugged the APEXI unit in between the car and the pedal and it was good to go. I actually fitted it with no tools, in the dark.

All this is also included in the instruction manual?

• 2 weeks later...

It can be argued that these throttle controllers are almost placebos - as they simply amplify and increase the existing input from the pedal.

There isn't any noticeable increase in throttle response; if you tap the pedal it makes it more like you stomped on it instead.

Simply you get more throttle from less input.

However that can sometimes be all that's need to make a car seem fast - one of the first cars I owned always felt fast (but most definitely wasn't) only because it was responsive.

Same applies here - amplifying a slight touch on the pedal to a bigger response at the throttle is all that's needed to make the car feel different.

I can actually confirm this as I have an acceleration controller on my M35 too - its not really any faster it just changes the feel of the car in regards to responsiveness.

I must admit the effect is much more noticeable with the brake cut mod switched off.

Also the ECO modes are handy if you are like me and have lead-foot syndrome.

Edited by Dmyze_
  • Like 1

Cheers for the review Scott - is yours exactly the same? Could explain why it appears to me this isn't a very well-worthy mod ...perhaps a selection of differently weighted shoes would have similar effect? :P

Well, it's been good of late.

ECO mode cuts throttle a fair bit which is handy, have saved a fair few kms around town.

I still leave it in high throttle for spirited driving which I think makes for better driving overall, but I guess you guys will just have to try it and decide for yourselves whether it's worth it or not.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, lom said:

Cheers for the review Scott - is yours exactly the same? Could explain why it appears to me this isn't a very well-worthy mod ...perhaps a selection of differently weighted shoes would have similar effect? :P

Mine is an Apexi too, the same one, however it pretty much comes down to what Benriches said:

5 hours ago, benriches said:

Well, it's been good of late.

ECO mode cuts throttle a fair bit which is handy, have saved a fair few kms around town.

I still leave it in high throttle for spirited driving which I think makes for better driving overall, but I guess you guys will just have to try it and decide for yourselves whether it's worth it or not.

I'm not saying not to get one yourself - if the increased feeling of response or a ECO restrictionis something you are looking for then go for it.

just be aware that it doesn't actually make the car any faster.

• 1 year later...