SAU Community

Boost Gauges Cheep Vs Expensive

StOjA

Id just like to know when it comes to boost gauges do the diferent types of brands make any diferance?

either i pay about 40 bux or 120 bux for the same thing. are you just paying for the name?

kindly

Ace

No you should just watch it over time tho the cheap ones dont always last too long, A mate of mine brought a cheap Boost Gauge and his lasted a month. Then it started to creep off, My HKS Boost Gauge on the other hand is still going strong and it came with the car.

So I guess you get what you pay for.

Edited by 7yphon

Greddy makes a nice electronic boost gauge. I currently have one in my car, it reads boost accuratly and responds quickly. Where as my buddy had an autometer gauge that would read 5psi when the car was off :blink:

I have found the Apexi Boost gauge to be great.

But i was considering getting 3 cheap gauges, for temp and pressure, for $220 or the DEFI DIN-gauge set for $600.

I know Defi are accurate and will last for years. But i am thinking; even if the cheap ones are inacurate, you only need to know where they usually sit and be worried if this changes. But now i read that these cheap gauges do alter their readings with time :O.

Is this the case for both mechanical and electric gauges? As i am only getting the electrical type.

I have found the Apexi Boost gauge to be great.

But i was considering getting 3 cheap gauges, for temp and pressure, for $220 or the DEFI DIN-gauge set for $600.

I know Defi are accurate and will last for years. But i am thinking; even if the cheap ones are inacurate, you only need to know where they usually sit and be worried if this changes.  But now i read that these cheap gauges do alter their readings with time :).

Is this the case for both mechanical and electric gauges?  As i am only getting the electrical type.

And the Apexi ones look the best too! :O

boost.jpg

yea apexi rocks but cant find one under $275 ...

Nengun: Click Here

OR

RMS Motor Parts Pty. Ltd.

Unit 3 / 662 Whitehorse Road,

Mitcham,

Victoria, 3132,

Australia

Phone: (03) 9872 6669

Fax: (03) 9872 6697

Emails:

General Info : [email protected]

Sales : [email protected]

Trading Hour:

Mon-Fri 10AM-6PM

Sat 11AM-5PM

I would also recommend VDO. If you're not after a fancy dial face and only after functionality, VDO is the way to go. Autospeed did a review and found that the VDO boost gauge was good (Avg error of 2.5%).

To quote Autospeed :

"Indeed, VDO offer good value for money while perhaps lacking the frills and panache of some. Accuracy is up there, and thanks to the German company establishing a manufacturing facility here in Australia, warranty isn't a problem. VDO gauges are available from most outlets and the range of hardware is extensive."

Funnily enough, there is one for sale on Ebay right now :Ebay VDO Gauge

Why spend $240 on an Apexi gauge when a $80 VDO gauge will do the same without having to worry about the accuracy/reliablity of something like Speco. I'm like having Functional stuff in my car, not into bling so I bought a VDO.