SAU Community

Starter Motor Troubles

Greg

Here's my situation:

1. My car heats up, by driving

2. I turn off the car

3. I try to start it

4. Starter motor doesn't work (sounds like battery is dead)

Complicating factors:

1. If I jump start it when this happens, it starts perfectly

2. Starter motor works perfectly when cold

3. My battery is otherwise very healthy - can run everything else fine when engine not running.

So, anyone else experienced this? Or have any solutions?

My current theory is that a hot starter motor is harder to turn over than a cold one, and my current battery doesn't have enough oomph left in it to do this.

Thanks

Greg

More than likely it will be the battery. If it's old and on its way out, as it gets hotter while the car is running, bubbles will form on the inside of the battery electrodes and this will cause it to not have enough power to turn it over when it is hot. Also check the wiring is connected correctly to the starter, more importantly the ground wire

if your car doesnt start when its hot but all your car accesories function ie windows wind up and down, cd player works, then get a new starter motor cause its on its way out. i had these symptons, replaced mine and now it starts whether the weather is hot or cold.

Yeah this happened to me a few times, the last time it happened i was filling up at a servo and when i tried to take off the car wouldnt start!

To make matters worse no one was willing to jump start the car for me :rolleyes: I asked about 5 people, until finally guy in a V8 turned up and helped me out.

Well anyway the next day i got the battery replaced and its been fine ever since.

Yeah this happened to me a few times, the last time it happened i was filling up at a servo and when i tried to take off the car wouldnt start!

To make matters worse no one was willing to jump start the car for me :blink: I asked about 5 people, until finally guy in a V8 turned up and helped me out.

Well anyway the next day i got the battery replaced and its been fine ever since.

just clutch start it. jump start take too long and is too much hassle.

To make matters worse no one was willing to jump start the car for me :( I asked about 5 people, until finally guy in a V8 turned up and helped me out.

lol on saturday the exact same thing happened to me at a servo. ended up roll starting, although there was only just enough room. i've ordered a new battery through wrxhoon's group buy so hopefully that will solve it. if not, i'll get a new starter motor.

Also known as a push start.

The solenoid is going on my starter, but that doesn't sound like what you've got, mine just sometimes does nothing, no noise, no weak attempt at starting, just absolutely nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I put in the battery I got through wrxhoon for $140 (equivalent to an Odyssey 1200). The engine cranks over much more quickky and I had no troubles starting the engine all weekend on a trip to phillip island, where the engine was probably the hottest it has ever been thanks to the 40+ degree temperatures.

Problem solved!

Edited by Greg

I've also just started having starter problems... R32 GTS4.

Battery is reasonably new ~ 6 months, and appears fully charged on the battery charger. But wont turn over at all. Roll starts and drives fine, but won't turn over.

Going to investigate the battery more tonight, otherwise the mechanic'll look at it tomorrow.

I'm hoping its a new battery : )

I've also just started having starter problems... R32 GTS4.

Battery is reasonably new ~ 6 months, and appears fully charged on the battery charger.  But wont turn over at all.  Roll starts and drives fine, but won't turn over.

Going to investigate the battery more tonight, otherwise the mechanic'll look at it tomorrow.

I'm hoping its a new battery : )

thats your starter motor. if you can roll start it but not able to start it standing still thats your problem.