SAU Community

R32 Gtr Pricing Current/future

Hi,

There are a fair few people in the same boat as me and was wondering other people's opinions.

I bought my 91 model R32 GTR for 25k 2 years ago and have since seen alot of GTR's 89/90 for sale as low as 15k. I realise these are poor examples of a dated sports car but they in turn affect the resale of the newer GTR's and those in far better condition.

I am under the impression that in 12 months time alot of these rough GTR's will be found doing alot of workshop time or permanent garage time. As they aren't the cheapest car to maintain (let alone modify). The people stretching their budget to buy a GTR may not be able to afford to keep them going.

1. Given the import law changes I think those people selling their GTR's later in the year will have an improved market to sell. With only better examples still on the road.

2. Tastefully modified GTR's should also carry better value as importing modified GTR's cheaply is no longer an option under the 15yr rule.

Can I get other peoples opinions on this ?

TIA Jonathan

because of the cheap price of imported ones (mine was something like 12k landed prior to compliance/maintenance ect) a lot of people bought them just to sell in australia. due to this there has been recently a large number of r32 gtr's for sale at prices much cheaper than previously. Go back 5 years and you could find aus delieverd standard r32 gtrs in unique cars for 50k plus. Now you can find good condition imports for 20k plus.

If your keeping your car its not a bad thing, due to the much larger spare parts base. If your trying to sell a GTR at the moment it would suck, alot of average condition imports bought and brought to aus just to be sold for a profit here. I think your probably right and many of these sub-par cars will go off the road with problems, however my 12k car^^ is very mechanically strong and healthy so dont expect them all to blow up, they are strong cars.

IMO what will happen with prices is that for an average to good condition car will settle at about 20 thousand, because most owners buying a car for 15-17k will probably spend another few getting the car up to scratch. dont expect prices to start going back up

my 2 c

I agree with your comments. Probably settle around 20-25k for your good example with decent mechanical health.

Then early 30's for a modified example with good bodywork/interior.

I'm 23 so still getting my head around depreciation on vehicles a bit.

Had I of bought a XR6T new for example 2 years ago I would have lost more than all my playing with the GTR, and less fun. :P

Edited by 600ZILLA

Supply and Demand.

I think the prices of R32 GTRs are bound to hold, even go up..

At the moment, the market is flooded with fresh imports, brining the overall value of the car down. Now, as this constant supply stops, you should see the 32 GTR hold its current value, good examples will be worth more.

I doubt many people will import R32 GTRs through the RAWS scheme (i think there are workshops in QLD and NSW) bringing them in at the moment, but it is costly.

I imported 3 R32 GTRs this year. The first one, cost me about 16k all up. Bad. Needed an engine rebuild in the first week.

The second one, cost me about 18k, complied. Good. Very good compression, good body, few minor defects. I've sold that car now.

The third one cost me about 20k all up, but i couldn't be happier. Body was immaculate, the engine was excellent. It seems that the KMs are genuine from condition. It is serving as my project car.

Just goes to show that you get what you pay for. I bet the majority of people with "cheapish" GTRs are paying the price now! I think most of real potential buyers have come to the realisation (given the number off the road at the moment) that it's worth investing extra money on purchase price, so as to save money in the future.

Conclusion, average price to settle at 20-25k, depending on condition.

25-30k for exceptional, or special vehicles. (very very low kms, or 94 V spec editions etc.) Seems to be that way on carsales at the moment as well.......