SAU Community

How To Take Off Factory Steering Wheel

Sammie

im trying to take off the factory steering wheel in my s1 33 gtst ive taken off the main bolt what do i have to do next ive tried pulling on it and wiggling it a bit but no luck and this is the first time for me any help would be great trying to do it right now

MacGuyver is right, track down one of these steering wheel puller's, I think it is possible to do damage to the collapsable steering colums if you dont -Disclamer on that last statement: not completely sure, something someone told me once years ago, could be wrong, i dunno, but why take the risk?

Yeah I've heard of damaging the collapsable steering columns as well. You should be able to get a steering wheel puller from somewhere like Repco or Super Cheaps, doesn't cost much. Don't try to remove it with out one! And make sure that when you do remove it, the front wheels are straight so when you put the new wheel/old wheel back everything is straight again.

"My cat's name is Mittens."

You can usually get them loose by grabbing the wheel at "quarter to three" and wiggling back and forth (along the axis of the steering column, not like you are turning a corner) at the same time as pulling the wheel towards you.

It is probably a good idea to leave the nut on a few threads to avoid belting yourself in the forehead when it finally gives.

You can usually get them loose by grabbing the wheel at "quarter to three" and wiggling back and forth (along the axis of the steering column, not like you are turning a corner) at the same time as pulling the wheel towards you.

It is probably a good idea to leave the nut on a few threads to avoid belting yourself in the forehead when it finally gives.

i have an r31

i took a stock wheel off on wednesday

i used a hammer and left the bolt on as you would want to instead of copping a steering wheel to the face

Steering wheel puller

Either side of the centre nut that holds the wheel on there will be 2 threaded holes (one either side).

The puller kits come a main piece shaped like so =0=, There will be a large bolt that goes through the centre of the puller and butts up to the bolt that holds the steering wheel on. Also in the kit will be a range of bolts to fit different thread sizes for the 2 threaded holes on the sides that I mentioned before.

Just screw the two side bolts in so there is a decent amount of thread holding them in and then screw the large centre bolt in until the wheel pops off.....5 minute job.

Hey man what's up.

If your planning on using an aftermarket wheel and hub, let me know how it all went together please. Mainly how easy it was to make the horn work b/c I'll be doing the same thing on my car soon.

Thanks a lot.

Cheers B)