SAU Community

New Engine

spewing here!...........

which engine should i buy?...it's there, but which is better?

hey all, just wanted to ask, since i've blown my engine pretty much, how much is it roughly for a decent R34 NEO RB25DET compared to the ones from the R33 GTS-T? (minus the turbo's as that seems to be the latest scam these days :( )

just also thinking, if i were to get the Neo engine, would it be a straight fit? or will i need a new loom and ECU as well (already have a MINES tuned to previous engine)? coz thinking that it is still an RB25 and all, wouldnt all the stuff be pretty much the same? how bout fuel systems?...anything else ive left out, please fill me in.......

OH YEA....and is 3months warranty on the engine enough? because if i get the R33 RB25DET then the guy offered me 6months

need to get as much info as i can before i have to put down a non-refundable deposit on tuesday for one of the two engines. :D

Personally it would depend on the price difference, how long you are going to keep the car, etc. If you want to hold onto the car for 5 years, then maybe the NEO would be better as its a newer engine, with probably more life in it.

But if you get a neo you will need the correct neo loom, ecu etc.. they won't be interchangeable with the older engines.

If it was only $1500 difference AND you thought you were going to keep the car for a bit longer.. then personally I'd go the NEO.. but if u just want to get it fixed, maybe drive it for another year, i'd get the cheaper older rb25

You would also have to look at whether the newer engine would need a separate engineering certificate to run it in your car. Should be fine from emissions (as newer engine), but you would want to check it carefully.. just in case at sale time you end up in a predicament.

well......lets jsut say the rebuild would cost min. $3k, with a new engine costing about the same anyways.

just that this offer is pretty good right now for a NEO engine, just not too sure about how to get things done.

arkon, what kind of minor mods?

as far as the rep has told me, its just a NEO engine. meaning no turbo, no sump (need to use my exisiting one) as well as no loom either think...but will get back to you guys n gals on that one.

predator, if its pretty much same engine, why would i need engineers report?....might as well aniways for my otther mods aye..haha

well......lets jsut say the rebuild would cost min. $3k, with a new engine costing about the same anyways.

just that this offer is pretty good right now for a NEO engine, just not too sure about how to get things done.

arkon, what kind of minor mods?

as far as the rep has told me, its just a NEO engine. meaning no turbo, no sump (need to use my exisiting one) as well as no loom either  think...but will get back to you guys n gals on that one.

predator, if its pretty much same engine, why would i need engineers report?....might as well aniways for my otther mods aye..haha

Seems you may be slightly confused...........

Rebuild engine: New internals, stronger, known quality.

2nd hand engine: standard internals, unknown history, unknown time in storage, more hassle (NEO conversion), unknown condition.

In my mind there is only one logical solution, but i'll leave that for you to decide.

can see where you're coming from there Al, but at this stage of time, the "new" engine is about all i can afford. the upsides seem to far outweigh the downsides, but seems that the transplant would just seem to be the much quicker and more effective method at this stage of time.

Plus, mechanic seays the engine is now pretty much trash coz the cylinders are ALL cracked and the head is warped.....guess i blew it right aye? lol...well..guess only one way to go now

Id rebuilt your engine depending on what you have f*ked ? but if you think it will only cost 3 grand your kidding yourself ... Parts maybe depending what you want to do or achieve. Dont forget labour and machining if you want to do it right you'll want to get the block cleaned, bored and honed ect. Aswell as some good internals.

so arcording to that link sent by arkon (and i thank you for that), i should be able to use my loom and aftermarket ecu to run the NEO?....in a few months will need to buy a pfc anyway because can't tune a MINES ecu :(...but ..hope it all comes together well.

Yup. Just some minor wiring mods and it'll work fine. I'm getting fairly good power and economy using a mines 33 ecu at the moment. Obviously this will improve once I get the AFC and ITC tuned to suit..

cool...so the minor mods u stated with the wiring...would a mechanic be able to know what to do? like is it fairly straight forward common sense stuff? or would he have to read encyclopedias?? lol he's kinda old, but knows his stuff well. don't want to strain his brain too much.

how much would i be looking at for tuning this thing (if i got the PFC)? becoz i know the mines is untunable (shame*).

.......does anyone know a plastic welder in sydney?...i need to repair my front bar :)

You'd be able to do the mods yourself. Have a look at my thread on it.

Reverse CAS wiring and find a plug to suit the VVT.

If you look at the wiring diagrams in the R33 and R34 manuals, you'll find it's pretty straightforward..

.......does anyone know a plastic welder in sydney?...i need to repair my front bar :P

i know that franks panel and paint in seven hills does plastic welding..

also a bike shop in Penrith does it (next door to windscreens obrien)

dunno where you are but hope that helps

oh and modding the RB25 NEO is alot harder than the R33 engines.. interms of manifolds etc.. but internals are better

cool thank Craved. was hoping to find someone closer to liverpool..or like bankstown region would be alright as well. sigh*

wonder how my engine is coming along. guys with the engine are installing my sump into it today, and taking the existing gearbox off.

hhm..ok i picked up the engine today..........

.....stupid mechanic! says he doesnt know how to wire it up to run the [email protected] i gave a call to my friend's handy dandy guy....hope he can put it all in...

for all the people who've had the NEO engine put into their skylines (in general), where did you have it done and approx how much?...

also, if i dont get the loom (apparently you don't get this with an engine itself or so says the yard that sold me the engine), would i be able to wire it up to my existing R33loom, or do i have to get a new one?...or..wat do i have to do to get it up and running......

i can see now why some people say its a hassle -long sigh-

thanks for replies people. mechanic will be checking out the motor tomorrow afternoon, and i'll get in contact with some motorbike shops to see if they can point me in a direction. ....

ok...mini-poll here okies? what is that wisest thing to do with..say $200 for my car?

1- tint

2- muffler (barrel and tip)

3- ...seat covers + floor mats

4-.................i really have no more ideas hahaha

so yeah. pick one that i've listed or just throw at me some ideas!

cya!