SAU Community

Burst Water Hose

Taso84

Hey every1.

I was driving around a bit yesterday and had the aircon going pretty hard most of the day. Last nite was on chapel st when some hose under the engine broke and water started gushing out. My car started overheating and revving higher on idle so i stopped luckily in time before the temp reached into the red (it reached about 3/4 of the way up). I opend the radiator and empty, a bit of steam came out and thats it. Underneathe the car there was a loud hissing noise from the water hitting the exhaust i think. It seams to be coming out of the area around the back of the block/dump pipe area.

My mate reckons its prob the heater hose that has broken since i was using air-con all day. (pretty easy to fix i heard)

What i am concerned about is if its the coolant hose to the turbo that may have broken. ( i have just had the turbo refitted since the gasket needed replacing) If so its prob the mechanics fault for not fitting it properly.

Now this i dont mind (replacing the coolant hose shouldnt be an expensive problem). What i do care about is if my engine/turbo have sustained any damage as a result of this event.

Any experiences/advice much appreciated

Taso

I had my friends dad look at it 2nite, he couldnt locate the problem but said that it was coming from somewhere behind the gearbox. Is this where the heater hose is located.

Its leaking really bad, the entire radiator is basically drained after a couple of minutes, i'm gonna havee to have it towed to the mechanics i think coz i dont want to cook the engine. (Malvern to Oakleigh)

Is this a common symptom of a failed heater hose?

Chances are its one of the little hoses located around near the back of the head - under the plenum. A real pain in the arse to get to. :S

Its not so much the 40degree heat but more so the age of the car.

When one starts going they soon all follow.

My little U shaped hose that runs around the back of the head went, then as it was only a small leak I left it and waited until the new motor went in, THEN the little hose that joins the pipe work that connects to the in manifold went, when pulling it off I noticed there was another little hose that connected to the block that fed in to the heater hose, that too was stuffed. ;)

My little U shaped hose that runs around the back of the head went, then as it was only a small leak I left it and waited until the new motor went in, THEN the little hose that joins the pipe work that connects to the in manifold went, when pulling it off I noticed there was another little hose that connected to the block that fed in to the heater hose, that too was stuffed. :P

Worst case scenario, if that happened to my car, how much $$$ do u reckon i'm up for. (If anything connected with the manifold/turbo is broke i'm gonna skitz it at the mechanic cause they just refitted it)

You can't skitz at the mechanic if a ~10yr rubber hose has decided to sh*t its self. :)

BUT.. that being said he shouldn't charge you for labour as he should have had a look and feel of the hoses being refitted.

Most mechanics don't give a sh*t and simply refit everything back up.

The ones that do and call you up saying this is stuffed thats stuffed generally end up being viewed as a mechanic thats trying to make more $$.

No win situation. :cheers:

Edited by Cubes

turbo feed hose went on mine.. pain in the ass to change too cos there is no room.

best way to look is to fill it back up, and see where is leaks from.. with the engine off so you its easy to get in there and see.

oil feed to turbo would help protect it and keep it coolish

turbo feed hose went on mine.. pain in the ass to change too cos there is no room.

best way to look is to fill it back up, and see where is leaks from.. with the engine off so you its easy to get in there and see.

oil feed to turbo would help protect it and keep it coolish

That is what it ended up being, took mechanics bout 30min to fix.