SAU Community

Fitting Oil Catch Can

Fly-By

Hey guys,

I've noticed a little blow by on the my intercooler piping, running reasonably high boost, so until i can get a leak down test etc done, i thought i'd install a catch can to help out in the mean time. Its a series 2 r33.

I've searched the forums and read about a plump back method, and also seen pics of it done on a r32 using t pieces and extra hoses plugging into places ive never seen before as well as a million wrong installations.

Heaps of people have them, has anybody got a detailed pic of the installation, or help out in any way?

Any hints or tips?

Just want to get it in right.

trhanks in advance

I'm trying to figure out why you did it that way randy.

The pcv is only open when the car is in vacuum so sucks oil vapour in under low load. There is little or no risk of ping in this situation.

Unfortunately, when the pcv closes due to positive pressure in the manifold all the oil vapour still gets blown/sucked into the turbo inlet and coats the pipes and intercooler (reducing it's efficiency) and increases the potential for knock as oil reduces the octane level of the inlet charge.

Hmm... fair enough. Thought i'd still catch SOMETHING off-boost (vacuum). I'm not worried about it pinging due to oily air... i'm running very stock at the moment. =-]

I can run longer pipes easily, or remove it from that side if need be.