SAU Community

Getting A Vin Plate Made Up?

jbonevia

When i got my car engineered the place that did it stamped the VIN into the strut tower.

They didnt do a great job and when my car was re-sprayed the VIN number was obscured. Removing the paint from that area didnt help either.

Anyway i want to get an small aluminum or stainless plate made up with the VIN number stamped on it, so i can rivet that to the chassis somewhere, like pretty much every complianced car has.

Does anyone know a place in Melb (prefer eastern suburbs) that i can get this done at? Or a place interstate i can order one from?

Its nothing dodgy, i have all the correct paperwork for the car/vin number, i would just prefer it to look nice and neat for when i sell the car.

are you talking about VIN (ie. chassis number) or the compliance plate?

if it is the compliance plate, you should have one on your car, if it doesn't i would contact the importer, otherwise check with the govt department that approves the imports, the importer should get busted for not supplying one.

if it is the VIN, then it should still be in the usual location, it shouldn't have been restamped into the strut tower

Hi, I think you'll find that it's not acceptable to have a plate fitted. I know it's not under SEVS although my old car through RAWS had a plate fitted so it will depend on when it came in. Just so your aware, if you'r trying to sell it and it has to be looked at at Vic Roads or something like that it may cause problems. My new car was engraved neatly, it's the best way to go just make sure you seal it to prevent rust. Cheers.