SAU Community

I Lost The Special Socket For My Wheel Nuts

I lost the special socket that is needed to remove the special wheel nuts on my car (one for each wheel) What do I do? I will draw up the shape of the nut and post it, maybe someone has the same one that I could use to remove them?

normally they just knock a socket over it to remove them

i went into a tyre shop and asked them to remove them they broke 2 sockets on them and didn't charge me :)

Depending on the design as to what you can do to remove.

The first thing you usually do in this situation is go to supercheap get a 18mm socket, hammer it onto the locknut and undo it as per normal.

If that doesn't work, you can try anything from welding a nut on to cold chisels to try and split the nut.

The 18mm socket is the easiest...

I had the same thing happen to me just before christmas, and i needed to be able to get my wheels off cause I was going on a 1000KM round trip drive...

However because I was at work, I got my GF to take it to a wheels shop and for $35 (cost of a new set of locknuts) the guy got them off and put the new ones on... Took 10 minutes

- Crimpage

They have numbers on them, if you still have a receipt, copy of the number or say if you got them from Bob Jane or similiar, go in there and ask them to look up the receipt for you (most Bob Janes put it on the receipt for this same situation), and you can order the same locknut.

Cheers

I was in a situation where the lock nut got totally stripped at a tyre place and couldn't be removed by the special key/nut. After trying to bash a socket piece on to it, eventually they had to get a chisel and bash a groove into the side of the lock nut, then use a hammer to slowly work it off!