SAU Community

Advantages And Disadvantages Of An Rb30det?

Freeman

R31Nismoid - thanks for your advice. But why do you say 'you dont need to rev them - thats the best part' if there is no advantage or disadvantage in your view? And i just asked if they can be as strong, because Nissan never brought out the Rb30det, its parts from two different engines so i figured it may have some weaknesses. And for characteristics i want? Not sure, thats why I'm asking what this engines' are!

My RB30det uses a COMPLETELY stock bottom end (280,000+kms) and make just over 300rwkw, has been reliable (apart from 5 smashed gearboxes) for over a year at this power level. So in my opinion they are definately strong, i would like to see an RB25 do the same....

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My RB30det uses a COMPLETELY stock bottom end (280,000+kms) and make just over 300rwkw, has been reliable (apart from 5 smashed gearboxes) for over a year at this power level. So in my opinion they are definately strong, i would like to see an RB25 do the same....

I can also relate to strong RB30 standard internals. The RB30/RB25DE we built 6 years ago has now covered 85,000 k's and still makes the same power as it did when it was built, 475 bhp on the engine dyno and 285 rwkw.

:( cheers :(

Thanks for the information everybody very helpful. Yeah Guilt-Toy used to see you around Nobbys ages ago, not for a while now though you aviod the city?

Thanks heaps SydneyKid i understand the engine heaps better now, i think this engine is what i'm going to aim for rather than a kit upgrade for the rb25 ive got at the moment.

PaulR33 - How cheap are you talking about for the cheap rb30? Any turbo? I'm probably not going to go for a cheap engine, i want something that is going to hold together and be reliable. Is 300rwkw a realistic goal, while retaining good drivability and responsiveness? What would be the total price of this engine, not the cheapie but not an all out weapon driven once a month, built by a reputable company who knows what they are doing? Cheers for the links too.

Black32 - Yeah i was wondering how cheap the cheap version could be as you still need all the stuff you listed. Doesn't sound much different between the cheap and the all out version, except forged internals and balancing...

I wouldn't have thought it costs much to do a cheap setup, other than the engine with my RB30det im using Microtech ECU ($1200) RX7 injectors ($300) And Bosch 044 pump ($400), thats under $2000, add $800 for a HI-flow turbo and my engine made 240RWKW, Add another $1000 for a GT35/40 and make Over 300RWKW.

IMO that is cheap power, and RB25 wanting to make over 200rwkw is going to need to upgrade this stuff anyway.

Its not just the EASY power which is so good about the RB30det, it also the amount of torque the 3.0L makes compared to RB20&RB25. Off boost it make steet driving much easier, On-boost torque is

neck-breaking.

Have a quetion though...is all this extra torque that ppl chasing just a killer on a RWD ar which isnt running semis?

Its not the way to go, but surely a slightly less responsive engine is goign to be more tracatble as it wont be massivley responsive??? Not sayign dumb it down by suign smaller engine and inferior parts, but when does too much torque become an issue when beign able to apply full throttle at 3,000rpm

When too much torque is never enough.......

You can always de-tune a motor. It's a far better way to go than having to tune harder to get the same power. Rb30 would be quite easy, just pull some timing in the right spots hey presto you have the curve you can live with.

I so far have not seen any posts in years about how easy it is to tune power 'out' of a motor on purpose. So many people tune the hell out of their engine first and then struggle to get the thing to stay on the road under throttle. Your right foot is also a wonderfull power and torque controller, I call it the first line of traction control.

Have a quetion though...is all this extra torque that ppl chasing just a killer on a RWD ar which isnt running semis?

Its not the way to go, but surely a slightly less responsive engine is goign to be more tracatble as it wont be massivley responsive??? Not sayign dumb it down by suign smaller engine and inferior parts, but when does too much torque become an issue when beign able to apply full throttle at 3,000rpm

All i can say is that torque wins races. Horse power sells cars.

It all has to do with the tuner. Good race tune = good racing. aggressive power curve = wheelspin. Its like comparing apples and oranges. You cant. There is no arguement when you can tune in the amount of power and torque to the level you want its just that the 3 litre wont be running so hard to get the level of driving that you want.

Thanks for the information everybody very helpful. Yeah Guilt-Toy used to see you around Nobbys ages ago, not for a while now though you aviod the city?

car has been off the road for the upgrades i just got.. been working lots so I might be seen around town a bit more often now since the car is back on the road.. still looking at tuning it.

post-1240-1140002840.jpg

Good question Roy. When i was building this motor i had everyone telling me gt35r is the turbo to go for, because its suited to the motor.

Most people ive seen with this turbo pull big numbers (i remember you saying i was gunna walk past 350rwkw when u asked origionally what turbo i was gunna run)

Since driving my car now with 220rwkw i dont want to go over 300rwkw just for the fact id like a power band i can use and get down. Ive since downgraded turbo chioce to the gt3037, which will make the power i want, and still pull hard.

I always hear of rb25de with this conversion, can you still do it with the rb25det (vvt), or is it the same thing. Im really begining to like this setup that people are using.

p.s how much do these rb30's go for?

You can do it with the det vct head, I've got one on mine, was simply a matter of basically tapping an extra oil feed with some braided hose.

RB30's are cheap as chips, I mean you can buy a full running rb30 for a couple of hundred, short engines (ie just the block) I wouldn't pay much more than $100-$150 for.

haha - bugger lol

ive seen a few whole Vl's for around $300 but i dont wanna mess around with selling the parts of and be stuck with a shell lol

havent checked the calais website though .. cheers

simple.. buy the car.. take wat you want out of it advertise in the paper wrecking vl '50 bux a panel and make a offer on other parts'

after that weekend.. take it to the tip or chances are someone will offer you money for the rest of the wreck

Hey guys, moneys a concern and im thinking whether i should do rb30 bottom end first, or turbo upgrade - then rb30???I dnt think i'd be able to do both as its quite costly, but id definitely be able to do it over time.

One thing though, i have the basic mods atm, rb25det 3"exhaust - dump pipe - pod - fmic.......now if i go the rb30 bottom end with these mods, will i see a good increase in power(with stock turbo)??Im thinking itd run hell rich with such a setup (stock ecu)