SAU Community

Neon Lights? Legal In Sa?

Johnny Cash

I rang transport SA and they said that all neons are flat out illegal, but I can't imagine that to be the case.

There HAS to be some way to legally have them fitted to the car, it can't be as obvious as that.

For example, where they're securely fitted, unable to be seen (the actual neon bars themselves), and are a colour not associated with any emergency vehicle or whatever, it should be ok.

And in the event where they ARE the same colour as an emergency vehicle, what should that matter? Cops have their lights on the roof, not the underbody.

...how cool would it be to see an ambulance with red and blue underbody neons! :cheers:

Ive got a red LED light on the 'foxeye' part of my Fireblade (a little running light that sits under the headlight). It was way too bright, so I sprayed it black, will change it to a light colour like white or fog-light yellow.....

Maybe just keep the neons inside the car, say around the door openings? So when you open the car doors the neons shine brightly to those looking from outside?

:cheers:

Edited by Tangles

Nope neons are illegal and transport sa will make you take them off wen you go over the pits even if you were not defected for them, sum crap about not adr aproved and there is no need for them.

by the way, neon lights are gay

neon lights are sick man! they add on 50hp! :confused:

enough joking around but they are very distracting! i always see them on commies nowadays. people put them on to get peoples attention but i rather do it with a mean engine sound!

Edited by nos man

Not much help, but if it's anything like Vic you can have them fitted, but only switched on while you're stationary.

Oh and +1 to: "they're gay".

It's been covered a bit but I'll try and give you the whole speal. White lights only at the front while driving. Red lights at rear or white reverse. No other combinations are legal. This includes different colour shades of headlights(green/blue etc). They used to allow yellow parkers etc, but this has been repealed.

No other lights are to be emitted from a vehicle in motion at night. The main reason for this is yes, it does distract other drivers. As well as the brightness ruins 'night vision'. While on the topic of night vision, driving lights are for highway use only, turn em off in the burbs.

And as for those wank factor lights in washer nozzles, they can be mistaken for emergency lights in unmarked police vehicles (you know, the ones that come from nowhere, when you last want to see them.) Without a word of a lie, I have actually seen red and blue flashing ones! (that bloke is answering to 'Mr Judge')

If you're parked at a cruise spot or just on the side of the road, don't take anyone's word that it's OK. There are some coppers out there that will challenge you. Just try to pass the attitude test.

All in all, it takes more than a hundred bucks at Autobarn to make your ride respectable. Most go down this path and end up with the look they paid for - cheap. :)

Edited by GTSTD1

They are illegal in any colour to have the on while driving cause they cause distractions to other motorists.

Why do u think they label them on the packets for "off road use only"

oh so true :)

Edited by HR-32

They are illegal to use at any time when the vehicle is in use on public roads. So if you can't live without them, put a little switch on your dash, and turn them on in your driveway so you can feel happy. OR put them on anyway, because we'd probably be spending the money on something equally as defectable, so legally it's all the same!