SAU Community

T70 Question

Hi,

New to all this turbo modifications. I have a Nissan Skyline R33 GTS25T Series II M Spec stock 187kw.

Wondering to start modifying my car I wanted to have a base to begin with.

I was thinking of putting in a T70 Turbo using either Top Mount or Low Mount Manifold (cant decide which one to use... any difference there?) and 50mm Wastegate.

This is what im planning to base my car so far.

Then doing the things around it like the 3" Dual Pipe to Turbo Back Exhaust, 600x300x76 Hybrid Front Mount Intercooler 3" inlet and outlet.

That is what im guessing for now. Does anyone disagree with this mod?

If so why... please help... need advice

Edited by aquariuz6

So instead of a T70 Turbo which turbo do you believe I should go for?

btw can i ask what is wrong about the T70 turbo?

what about the T04E turbo... anyone know if they are any good?

Since my car is stock... does anyone have any ideas of which turbo I should install?

Edited by aquariuz6

you should do some research and find out how much its going to cost you to upgrade the turbocharger, you are missing a lot of supporting modifications. as you said yourself you know nothing about them so why pick out of thin air? cos its cheap? youll need;

airflow meter

injectors

fuel pump

clutch

tyres

suspension

ecu

intercooler

3" split dump at the very least with 3" turboback exhaust

so theres about 6k in mods youll need to get the most out of it.

and then you get to have the extra lag of this turbocharger also :D

So instead of a T70 Turbo which turbo do you believe I should go for?

btw can i ask what is wrong about the T70 turbo?

what about the T04E turbo... anyone know if they are any good?

Since my car is stock... does anyone have any ideas of which turbo I should install?

to use the turbo on the engine no matter which one, u will need an aftermarket ecu to run it (power fc, etc), plus bigger injectors if u plan on decent power, around 700cc (stock are 330cc or something like that). best turbo is a garrett or hks, etc if u can afford it. something like a gt30 or gt35 would be suited without excessive lag.

u will need new water and oil lines for the turbo, plus the stock cooler wont cut it on anything over 10psi or so, fuel pump may need a change as well.

remember the turbo upgrade isnt just putting a bigger turbo on and away u go. more costs than most people realise, but well worth it if u use quality gear,

cheers

Brad

my advice drive a 200rwkw skyline on the stock turbo.

see how that feels, youll find a stock turbo'd skyline setup will be very quick. the turbocharger is generally the last thing to upgrade

if you are still dead set on changing the turbo let us know how much you have to spend and we'll see what we can find

but without 5k you aint gonna get much

There are a few people i know of who have used the T70 ebay turbo and i have heard no bad experience with so far.

( there are cheap T70 china going around,. you be lucky to get the best one,. eg. XSpower, Masterpower )

one thing with this turbo though,. it'd be laggy for the r33,. and wont fit the low mount set up.. 50mm is large,. just go for 35mm.

but you would def. need injectors/ pump and you'd need an aftermarket computer as the air flow of this turbo is massive for the stock ECU.

and other mods as mentioned above -- clutch is important.

you could get away with the T04e though.. but it will not give much power unless you change your ECU / clutch etc.

well since my car is at stock 187kw my goal is to reach 260kw(350hp)

what mods should i put on my car to reach that goal without replacing my stock turbo?

jus wondering how much am i roughly looking at, cheapest but genuine?

btw does anyone know where i can get advice like a mechanic for my car near penrith region in sydney?

your car is stock therefore you have 187kw at the engine.

so thats about 151kw at the wheels..???

you'd be surprised at how much an extra 110rwkw will cost you.

ECU

AFM

Clutch

Fuel Pump

Injectors

Turbo/Manifold/Dump/wastegate

Bigger Front Mount cooler

Exhause

maybe 10 G's or more..?

quick question, if i were to modify my car to reach my goal of 260kw, is there a preference of which order i should install the mods?

installing a manual boost controller to fix the ecu's boosting of only 5psi under 4000rpm.

next items are the 3" turbo back to exhaust with hi flo cat since my car is stock.. should i bother installing a dual pipe or just the standard 3" dumpipe?

well 260 rwkw will deffo require a turbo upgrade, so doing things like manual bleed valves anf fancy dumps at the moment are kinda waste of cash, if you are going to do all this in a relatively small period of time, go for things like the intercooler, fuel pump, fuel reg, pod, and and 3" cat and cat back exhaust.

then once you've saved your pennys go for the injectors, AFM, ECU, turbo route, all these require the aftermarket ECU, so doing all at once will mean you only need to get it tuned once, all you can put a fancy dump on at this point.

as for clutch, tyres suspension etc...that can all wait but don't expect your clutch to last very long at all with 260 rwkw, mine died before i hit 200....might even die on the dyno, who knows but be prepared

tyres, well if u can avoid spinning them (have fun with 260 rwkw) they should be no different, but every time u loose traction then you are going to need new tyres

suspension, well again its optionaly but if u dont' wanna die its something u should consider

I most certainlly agree with paul...

Do your turbo last... Always...

You need all the supporting mods to make it work properly...

All the advice above is gold... Nothing missed really...

The ebay turbos are generally crap... Just poor quality china type copies of more popular units... Stick to garret or HKS or Trust and so on... All the major brands have been done to a skyline before and they all have 3 or 4 turbos to suit all aspects of driving...

Suspension is very important i believe... After passing 220rwkw i started to have major traction issues and just destroyed $800 worth of tyres in 6000km's... Not to mention dangerous and hard to handle in the wet...

So getting that traction to the ground is an important step to take i believe cause you wanta be able to chop it and not spin all over the place...

My 2 cents.

t04e turbo corectly set up works very well indeed.

in my dr30 i had a rb26 with 260 poncams,pistons etc...

it had a t04e (tw41) bush bearing.

"o"trim turbine in a .84 split housing(euro flange/t3 flange)

"60"trim comp wheel in a .7 cover (14blade/7uper/lower)

on a himout manifold i made myself with 1.5" od 316 ss runners(1.1/4" id)

IT MADE 325.9RWKW on sas dyno on 1 bar. spiking to 1.1bar. bleed tap no good....

full boost by 3500rpm loaded up. 4000-4100 in 1st 2nd gears

so t04e is not a bad combo.

ps, recently dynoed my gtr with a t04z (internaly stock completly)

it made 315.6 on sas dyno. on 1.2 bar

so going backwards with a bigger turbo is posible *spewing*

im running one of these turbo's on my car, jus got it to try it, and NO complaints what so ever

great bang for ur buck, massive difference even when its jus on 6psi, but yeah its a lil laggy, boost is 4500

in the process of building a rb30det so ill let u know how it goes on that running 20psi