SAU Community

Brake Upgrade

hey everyone. im looking at upgrading my whole braking system soon. i need to know the minimum clearance thats needed between the rim and the calipers is. i have the standard 16" gtr rims at the mo but im prolly gonna upgrade them at the same time. im looking at some serious power output on this car when i finish with it so im gonna need good stoppin power.

what braking systems would ppl recomend? what size rotors and also what size rims will i need for the rotors and calipers to fit?? do i go for 6 pot or good quality 4's?

theres just too many for me to choose from!!

everyones help is appreciated!

hey everyone. im looking at upgrading my whole braking system soon. i need to know the minimum clearance thats needed between the rim and the calipers is. i have the standard 16" gtr rims at the mo but im prolly gonna upgrade them at the same time. im looking at some serious power output on this car when i finish with it so im gonna need good stoppin power.

what braking systems would ppl recomend? what size rotors and also what size rims will i need for the rotors and calipers to fit?? do i go for 6 pot or good quality 4's?

theres just too many for me to choose from!!

everyones help is appreciated!

Well, how big do you want to go? Wheels/tyres/rotors/calipers/pads/braided lines etc etc can mean you are looking at $10k. I kid you not.

Personally I have 17" rims & am looking at the 324mm rotors from the R33. Some poeple go larger (350mm) but then you need 18" rims & the tyre bill goes ballistic.

The problem with a minimum clearance is that, for example a 17" Rays TE37 may clear a caliper that another type of rim may not. The important thing is the caliper/rotor combination fits your rims. don;t forget that a rotor that may fit a caliper cold will grow a frew mm's when hot...

Best bet is to sneak up on it. Get some good pads eg Ferodo DS2500 or Racebrakes RB74's & good fluid.

As for calipers the number of pots isn't really that important. More important is the area of the pots in the caliper. These need to be balanced front to rear & to take into account your new rotor diameter. Then you need think about the master cylinder diameter. To be honest it is a complicated subject & doing your reseach is very important.

i love the look of the te37s. i do realise that ill be lookin close to 10k... i reckon that id be better off with 17" just cos of the price and driveability factor. it will be used on tack days when i get the time / cash flow but its also my daily driver.

which brands would ppl recommend?

if i got something like brembo, would i be paying for the name? i want high quality but im not keen on paying for just a name.

well the standard brakes are pretty good with good pads and fluid.

But if you want to upgrade the cheapest/best option is a pair of the porsche 6 spot brembos (800ea) over the gtr brembo sized front discs. The rears don't need upgrading.