SAU Community

My R33 wont start. Any help appreciated!

Eek Skywalker

Hello all!

I need help - any clues as to why my car wont run. Here's what happened.

Just had my car serviced and a new pod filter installed. Drove the car last night about 25km's. I pulled up at a set of lights, and the engine started to idle bad. The engine then died. I could not start it again.

I got it onto the side of the road and tried it again. It started, bad idle, and cut out again. It did this numerous times. RACQ were no help, so I had to get the bastard towed.

Tried the car this morning and it will not start. The car tries to start, but it will not run!!

Any ideas will help, so I can take it back to the mechanic with a few ideas!

Thanks in advance,

Eek

You have possibly just bumped something loose when fitting the filter.

So it doesnt even fire up and then die?

check the obvious things first like:

the afm plug

any vacum lines

the plugs on both sides of the amplifier thingy

worth a try

I have had a VERY similar situation in my R33. Just fitted a front mount and was driving home from my parents place, came round a corner, gave it a bit of gas and the revs just dropped right down and the engine cut out.

Started it up again but idle is all over the place and it will stall within a few seconds.

Turns out one of the hoses on my intercooler pipes had come loose, put it back in place, tightened up all the fittings again, and away it went, good as always.

Check all the fittings on the intercooler piping and around where you installed the pod filter, loosen them off, make sure they are all properly in place and then tighten up again and double check them.

Check your ignition module (at top and back of engine on the plastic plate)... its possible that could have burnt out or something similar.

Other thing is of course to check the AFM. Pull it out and have a look at the filament. If you're really unlucky they butchered it when they put on the pod filter. Try giving it a clean and see whether that fixes it.

maybe your airflo meter got cover in oil from your new pod try disconecting the wiring to the airflo meter and see if it starts doing this puts it into limp mode and wont rev over 2000rpm

let us know what happens

Thanks for all of your replies.

I checked the AFM, and it seemed to be ok. It was clean. After a bit of searching my cousin noticed something strange - that being a plastic plug was sitting on the exhaust manifold. I shouldn't say sitting, it was melted onto the exhaust manifold.

Turns out the plug from the O2 sensor in the exhuast has somehow come loose and melted, causing the plug to short or something (not exactly sure). It's mostly intact. Thing was that the plug was cabled-tied (the plastic ones) to a rubber hose way above the exhaust manifold. I wonder how that broke......

Anyway, the car would not start. Checked the fuse box, and the "Engine Control" fuse in the "IGN" (I presume ignition) section was blown. I replaced it and the car started just fine. It seemed to run ok.

I wil be taking it back to the mechanic to get the plug replaced and the car checked - thouroughly. I thought this should have been picked up in a major service, if it did not happen afterwards...

Does anyone know what the "Engine Control" fuse protects/is for? I translated the japanese from the fuse box, that's why i know it's name.

Cheers.

Eek

Originally posted by Eek Skywalker

Turns out the plug from the O2 sensor in the exhuast has somehow come loose and melted, causing the plug to short or something (not exactly sure).  

Does anyone know what the "Engine Control" fuse protects/is for? I translated the japanese from the fuse box, that's why i know it's name.

The O2 wires are feed from and go direct to the ecu. Theres a 12V feed and ground, plus signal, so the ecu was shorted out. Thats what the main 'Engine Control' fuse protects, lucky it didn't fry your ecu...