SAU Community

Questions About The Laws In Vic About High Powered Cars..

Fugi

Hi everyone,

i got pulled over the other day and i was told that the nissan r32 gtst is too powerfull for a P plate driver to have on hes p's..

Then they gave me a warning and told me that if i get pulled over again i have to pay fines..

dose anyone know how much these fines are???

Or better yet dose anyone have proof that r32 GTSt's are under the power to weight ratio..

i did some maths and i found that a stock GTSt has a power to weight ratio of 116kw..

(160/1375)x 1000 = around 116kw..

they say u can have 125 kw per tonne dose that mean that i am aloud to drive my car??

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone,

i got pulled over the other day and i was told that the nissan r32 gtst is too powerfull for a P plate driver to have on hes p's..

Then they gave me a warning and told me that if i get pulled over again i have to pay fines..

Or better yet dose anyone have proof that r32 GTSt's are under the power to weight ratio..

i did some maths and i found that a stock GTSt has a power to weight ratio of 116kw..

they say u can have 125 kw per tonne dose that mean that i am aloud to drive my car??

what year is your 32? there is something abou the earlier and later models...1 is under, 1 is over....not sure which way it is though....

the fine is about $110

Just another dumbarse cop who doesn't know his shit.

The R32 GTS-T is fine the R33 GTS-T is over.

Perhaps that little book about stock imports and what they look like/whatever has done nothing but confuse them haha.

Yer as Kaz180 stated, i think they're getting it mixed up....

Here's the specifics....

Road Safety Regulations 1999

Division 2-Learner and probationary drivers

211. Vehicle power restrictions

(1) The holder of a probationary driver licence must

not drive a high powered motor vehicle on a

highway until the probationary period shown on

his or her licence has expired.

Penalty: 3 penalty units.

DEFINITIONS

"high powered motor vehicle" means a motor

vehicle (other than a motor cycle or motor

trike) which-

(a) has a power mass ratio which exceeds

125 kilowatts per tonne; or

(b) has an engine capacity which exceeds

3.5 litres per tonne of the unladen mass

of the motor vehicle;

In your situation i think your fine....

Edited by R33_STEALTH

Yer as Kaz180 stated, i think they're getting it mixed up....

Here's the specifics....

Road Safety Regulations 1999

Division 2-Learner and probationary drivers

211. Vehicle power restrictions

(1) The holder of a probationary driver licence must

not drive a high powered motor vehicle on a

highway until the probationary period shown on

his or her licence has expired.

does it say anything else about highway....because if it doesnt...doesn't that mean that technically p-platers can drive high powered vehicles as long as they stay off highways....hehe

wtf 3 points too?

i got pulled over on saturday with my TT supe and he says he is not sure whether or not i should be driving my car so he says i may or may not get a penalty notice. I then ask him what the penality is and he says $110 and thats all.

stupid cops dont know shit, and i betya ill loose the 3 points too plus people say the fine should be like $170

Hi everyone,

Thats weird, because Im P plater too, and drive a 1990 R32gtst and have been told that my car is within regulations for P platers...have you done any extra mods?

mods dont matter...they dont carry dynos around with em...they can only go by factory figures, and like i said above, its either the earlier 32's or the later 1's, but some of them are under, and some are over the power:weight limit

ugh mods do matter... if you drivin an R32 gts-t with high flow turbo, fmic, and shit like that... quite obviously that will bump up the power over weight ratio. not all cops are that stupid they dont know what to look for under the hood.

ugh mods do matter... if you drivin an R32 gts-t with high flow turbo, fmic, and shit like that... quite obviously that will bump up the power over weight ratio. not all cops are that stupid they dont know what to look for under the hood.

tell me exactly how they will prove that your car is over 125kw/tonne.

they dont have dynos. they go by factory power figures.

mods dont matter...they dont carry dynos around with em...they can only go by factory figures, and like i said above, its either the earlier 32's or the later 1's, but some of them are under, and some are over the power:weight limit

I know that cops dont carry dynos with them, but a couple of years ago one of my friends got pulled over in a Silvia, and the cop started going through the engine bay and whole car, checking for anything thats not stock, and got booked for it...

ugh common sense... when you see a high flow turbo, fmic and various other bits takced onto the engine you would have to be a complete moron to not realise that quite obviously it would boost the power output way over the factory figures...

sure most cops dont know what to look for and probably dont care... but there are ones that do, and they will try get you for wateva they want.

I know that cops dont carry dynos with them, but a couple of years ago one of my friends got pulled over in a Silvia, and the cop started going through the engine bay and whole car, checking for anything thats not stock, and got booked for it...

defected for the mods themselves?

If a cop issues a fine to someone driving a car that is under the power to weight limit, because it has some mods....i'd say they're just doing it becauase they're pretty sure the driver wont contest it. they cannot possibly say what the power of the car is without putting it on a dyno, and if they're issuing fines based on aftermarket power, then they'd have to weigh it also....rims, intercoolers etc....they add weight

exactly. they are not brain dead and most can tell the difference between what is stock and what isnt.

ugh common sense... when you see a high flow turbo, fmic and various other bits takced onto the engine you would have to be a complete moron to not realise that quite obviously it would boost the power output way over the factory figures...

sure most cops dont know what to look for and probably dont care... but there are ones that do, and they will try get you for wateva they want.

Nothing to do with power in that case only that any modification without engineering is illegal. Technically cop cars aren't even legal that's why no-one takes the laws too seriously.

LOL

so you can see that the turbo has been high flowed ay?

i wasnt aware cops were now issued with x-ray specs to see under the heatshield...or maybe they just pull the porta-hoist out of the boot and take your turbo off to check it yeah?

and a fmic is to cool, it allows you to run higher boost which increses power, but by itself without increasing boost doesn't do much at all.