SAU Community

You Guys Might Have Some Competition Soon!

Iron Chef

I wwas looking at getting a Legnum, until I found out about the re-call that Mitsubishi had to do with the VR-4's.

I can't remember exactly why they recalled them (only VR4, Trip-Tronic models) I think it was something to do with the gearbox affecting the brakes, not sure.

Also, DO NOT get one with the Trip-Tronic gearbox. That gearbox is very well known to be a bit weak. It can fail at any km's, and when it does fail (and it will) it costs the GDP of a small african nation to replace/repair.

On the up side though, they are very fast and do look a bit better than the Stagea.

I bought the Stagea because of Nissan's reliability and the size of the cargo area. Both of which are important for a new family.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...and you can imagine how many HSV owners went "WTF??? I just got torched by a Magna!" back when I had my Galant lol

When you put them along side a Magna, they are quite different.

I like em, they seem a little cheaper than a stagea, how do they take to modifying????

I spose its a similar engine to the 3000gt which they say is a pain to mod???

hey mate the comment by alexclim on the same engine as 3000gt is wrong, its a 2.5L not a 3L and i do know the 3000gt is pricey to modify as the turbos r tiny and are at their maximum power stock, which requires an upgrade straight away if u want abit more poke.

so do these weigh lots or what? im not a fan of mistubishi's they are really crap quality in the lancers anyway, so i cant see the other models being much better. evo and 3000gt is all i would touch, and even they both have bad points about em.

The quality on mine was fantastic - never had a problem with it. Interior trim is much nicer than the Stagea in my opinion. Will find some pics of mine.

You're right about the motor - it's a big brother to the FTO V6, the GTO V6 is a different motor all together. In the UK, basic mods and higher boost have seen them pull high 12 sec quarters without too much hassle, but after that you need to get bigger turbos.

I still wouldn't get one unless it was a manual. That Mitsi Trip-Tronic is not a good box. I have been told by 3 different mechanics that it randomly fails. Not like a cam belt that can be replaced at 100,000Km, it can go at 50,000, 120,000, 200,000 you can't tell. When it does go, it costs your arm, leg and first born to fix.

If you do get one, make sure it is a manual.

VR4's have been around in NZ for quite a while, so people know all about them over here.

Enough bad, now some good. They do look a lot better than the Stagea, a lot more aggresive in the front. They are a bit lighter and have more power. On the whole a good wagon, except for the gearbox.

When i was in Singapore i fell in love with these things, dont the later model ones have the 4G93, or maybe its a different model but there is a wagon that is 4wd, 4 cyl turbo that has Brembos std...they are way cool

This might help..?

That's a great comparison.

I was looking at the VR4 (manual of course) before I bought my Stagea and personally I would have preferred it, but I couldn't wait for the import approvals. It was looking like another 12 months at least... this was back in April last year. And the one on carsales (in Newcastle) was just overpriced... oh and an auto (avoid the auto!!!).

Parts availailability and engine is Nissan's biggest strenghts and very hard to go past.

But I'm sure the price and appeal of the Legnum will bring quite a few of them into the country. Hopefull we can rely on some of New Zealand's and the UK's knowledge (check out ClubVR-4) to help them grow. They are a beautiful looking car and on that note, here's some pics from a car that J-Spec was looking at importing...

Although, posting these on SAu feels somewhat sacrilegious!

post-17581-1145614710.jpg

post-17581-1145614824.jpg

post-17581-1145614939.jpg

post-17581-1145615400.jpg

post-17581-1145615758.jpg

post-17581-1145616189.jpg

probably we should intergrate all high performance wagon into a sub group then we can slaughter the shit out of everybody that has 4 doors.hahahah