SAU Community

Interior Light Not Coming On When Door Is Opened?

hayden49

hey guys,

the interior light in my s2 33 works fine when turned on but when set in the middle, to come one when the doors are opened it doesnt.

this is a total pain in the ass in the pitch dark at my house.

where should i start looking for the fault?

obviously the bulbs are fine as the lights come one when turned on but not when the doors are opened.

cheers

Each door has a little switch in the pillar, so if none of them are triggering it, i'd guess that there is faulty wiring somewhere else, where all four doors become one wire.

Where that is, I don't know... definately nothing wrong with the switch as far as the middle position goes? Check those contacts on the light-switch just incase!

Actually... don't the lights come on as soon as you unlock the car? Mine do! That would certainly suggest that the door-switches are fine, and that the problem is further down the line.

also, the green ring around my ignition doesnt light up when i open the door to get in.

im guessing this is hooked up with the interior lighting so if the light doesnt work when i open the door up and green ring wont light up either.

arrggh its shitting me...

also, how do you remove the clear plastic interior light cover?

cheers

just had a quick brain wave.... the central locking on the car isnt working, who knows why, maybe changed in japan or sumthing so if the standard central locking isnt working would that have something to do with the lights not working nor the green ring around the ignition coming on?

cheers

Edited by hayden49

how about this one guys.. mine works, but only catch is that only the passenger door will trigger the light, drivers side does not.. so i just took off the back seat and wired the passengers door wire to the drivers side wire... too much trouble to find where the fault is.

works good and no one will know :(

If that ring doesn't light up, it runs with my theory. There may be a fuse, I can't remember, but "c/lock" rings a bell, so it may exist. Check out your fuses, definately.

The interior light plastic just pulls off. It's on clips, and mine can be pulled off with a gentle tug.

i still think its got something to do with the alarm that was in the car previously and removed.

if when you unlock your car the light comes on, im guessing if my remote central locking isnt working that could also stop the interior light from working.

when i get my alarm/imobliser installed im getting the central locking fixed and ill ask them if they can figure out why the lights arnt working.

cheers

Some R33's had a dealer-optional central locking, which alarm-installers tap into. If the alarm was removed, then yeah, it could well be the problem right there!