SAU Community

Rb25 Turbo And Cam Gear Results

gtst,

on the subject of computers, am I able to get my computer chipped or retuned? Its a rb25det 95'. Ive heard not, but stuffed if I can afford a power fc after replacing a blown motor.

Nice work on the 32 Warren, thats pretty impressivie power for the mods. My mate has my old 25 turbo in his 32, a bosch pump, cooler, pod, cat back exhaust, oil cooler, injectors, and it seems to be making a lot less than yours.

Well done Waz, glad that turbo is finally been put to good use, hey!!

Nice work.

Oi; I recommend going the SAFC & SITC route, so you get 2 ecu's, one to do the air/fuel ratio's and the other to do the ignition timing. Im sure you'd pick up a lazy 20-odd kw with those two added, and probably save a few dollars via better fuel economy as well.

Either way a nice result, as stated a decent ecu-mod (for the auto) would be the go (I use safc & sitc on my auto Rb25det), although I admit knowing less than nothing about this Dr.Drift you fella's are on about!

Brendan

ross - I only know of TOSHI from these forums as having chipped an R33 GTST.

costs more than the r32 though as they can't be remapped on to the chip where as the same chip can be over writen on the R32 or something.

send him a PM and see what he has to say.

however, If I had an R33 gtst, for $950 or so, I would just save till I got that power FC.

if it was the same on the R32's then I'd do pfc for that too.

but it's closer to $1400 for R32's...

JAYCAR DFA is Cheaper than safc yes - Better? I doubt it is actually any better.

I'm sure SK posted that it doesn't actually do anything more or less than an SAFC.

and since SAFC second hand is under $300, I wouldn't bother trying to put the JAYCAR kit together myself...

gtst, I didnt realize a pfc could be had for my car that cheap.

Once I had one of those I wouldnt need a safc any other controller if I got the optional boost controller would I?

I was thinking of biting the bullet and getting some of those bosch coils and mounting them on firewall near igniter and running leads. What's your thought s on that? Do you think they are just as good as splitfires? I know that they are a hell of a lot cheaper!($300 plus install).

Cheers

Waz,

In regards to the cam gears,

I have a 33 with a rb25det with a front mount, pod, cat back 3inch. I will run a it more boost through it soon maybye 12-13 pound. Is there any benifit for cam gears for me with my setup? Ive thought about them before as its a mod that doesnt break the bank

cheers

Don't do the external coils. You will only save yourself a couple of hundred dollars for something that is a bit of a punt. Splitfires can be had for well under $600 lately if you buy from perfect run. The aussie dollar is above 85 yen atm so you will save a mint.

yes.. PFC replaces factory computer and is completely programable so no need for SAFC or ITC.. just a boost contoller to go with it. which one you use is up to you and your budget.

coils? do you have problems with your current coils?

it seems you are on a budget so I would FIRST try to tape them up with electrical tape. if it still fails, I would then replace them with Splitfire ones.

but I am a tightarse so it might be different for you.

description of taping the coil packs are on POST 14 at http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...pic=114981&st=0

Waz,

In regards to the cam gears,

I have a 33 with a rb25det with a front mount, pod, cat back 3inch. I will run a it more boost through it soon maybye 12-13 pound. Is there any benifit for cam gears for me with my setup? Ive thought about them before as its a mod that doesnt break the bank

cheers

exhaust cam gear on my car picked up more than 10kw broadly across the range. seems like a no-brainer when you do your timing belt.

thanks gtst and wolverine,

gtst, Im not sure if it was a problem with the coils or not but I aroldited and taped them allready and that didnt fix the problem. I am certain there is no vacum leaks or exhaust leaks as i had that thoroughly checked.

I am going to do the acc valve clean and adjust the timing on weekend and check airflow meter. Timing is to high (idle 9000rpm). It just boosts up fine to 5000 and then feels like it is hitting a boost cut or something and car just wont gain powere above that rpm. It will if I accelarate gradually.

The car is pretty standard bar a cooler, pod, and exhaust.

Any ideas of what to check on wknd apart from what I said would be appreciated.

If I remember rightly the auto is 15 kph per 1,000 rpm at the engine. So it has achieved a 40% power increase (50 rwkw to 70 rkw) at ~3,500 rpm. That's substantial gain in anyone's language.

Too late/tired to do an average power comparison, but I bet that is just as impressive.

:) Cheers :)

thanks gtst and wolverine,

gtst, Im not sure if it was a problem with the coils or not but I aroldited and taped them allready and that didnt fix the problem. I am certain there is no vacum leaks or exhaust leaks as i had that thoroughly checked.

I am going to do the acc valve clean and adjust the timing on weekend and check airflow meter. Timing is to high (idle 9000rpm). It just boosts up fine to 5000 and then feels like it is hitting a boost cut or something and car just wont gain powere above that rpm. It will if I accelarate gradually.

The car is pretty standard bar a cooler, pod, and exhaust.

Any ideas of what to check on wknd apart from what I said would be appreciated.

If the boost has increased above standard, then it is ECU rich and retard mapping based on the increased airflow as sensed by the AFM.

:) cheers :)

• 2 weeks later...

shiny purple :) - see attachments

will be replacing the timing cover soon, but its off for the photos...

ross80 - i have no experience with the rb25, but based on my results i can definately recommend cam gears on the R33 - i believe you can only do the exhaust gear, however due to the VCT on the inlet side

cheers,

Warren

post-2094-1147674118.jpg

post-2094-1147674142.jpg

post-2094-1147674158.jpg