BADR33

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

thought about doing this........but after reading the whole thread, which seemed simple till i started reading.......wow what an ass around. ima get real coils for mine even if they are super spark or something like that. havent heard to many bad things about em and they all have warenties

yeah i have to agree with the last post, 6x coils is alot better then wasted spark, its just a cheep repair rather then an actual performance mod.

my opinion has changed due to having a dynapack hub dyno at work so i have seen a vast range of setups,

unless your ecu has ajustiable dwell time for the coils, mitsi coils are no good when you start pushing on the motor. they require 6mili secs of dwell to charge verse 3mili secs for standard coils

iv now reverted back to 6x standard coils all though i have done a small repair to prevent arcing to the metal bracket

i put tape around the metal bracket, then gasket goo on the base of the coil, installed in to bracket then filled the gap between the coil and bracket with goo, fixed my miss at 3500 on 14psi.

the superspark coils or the similar red ones are worth approx 10kw over the whole rev range over even the repaired standard coils with out changing any timing or fuel. from my tests on the dyno

and it looks neater not having spark plug leads :) .id say the only reason they put out 10kw more is cause they are actually new. im sure a thousand dollar set of origonal nissan ones will do the same job brand new.

i too have wrapped and gooed my coils, didnt have much of an issue..only on cold cold nights whent he engine is cold. fixed em good

• 3 months later...
Hey guys I just installed a waste spark setup today on a S1 RB25DET

On the small plug, I ran the black to ground, and the white to 3 terminals on the buick coil.

My igniter has E1 E2 E3 E4 E5 E6

I bridged 1 6 / 2 5 / 3 4

It started and ran with a miss.

I pulled the HT leads off one by one, and 4 and 6 made no diff.

I swapped them, and it ran much better.

I took it for a test drive, and it broke down when it boosted.

How is this possible? I rechecked all connections, and they are all 100%.

The only thing i'm not sure about is the ground... I don't need another ground besides the small plug do i?

hy do you have a pic of yur wireing job u have done iv got rb25t got every thing

i need just not shure on how to wire up can u please help thanks

hi there,

this mod is suitable for rb20det, rb20de, rb25de and det(as long as you have an ingnitor pack on the cam cover) can be done for series 2 rb25s but you will require an ingnitor pack.

i have a cheeper alternative for all you people out there who keep losing coils and dont want to fork out big $$ for spitfire coils.

what you will require:

6 spark plug leads that are a suitable length to reach to where ever you decide to mount the wasted spark setup. i used champion steel ingition leads part number CH6106S for a holden commodore vs&Vt 3.8ltr but i suggest you buy them individuly as you can get the lengths much better as i found 2 of them are a bit to long

the replacement coil pack is what i was told is a buick(holden) tridon part number TIC032

side cutters,

soildering iron and solider, or crimpers and the correct crimping bits to clip on to the coil pack.

heat shrink

and between 1-2hrs to do.

step 1:remove coils and coil loom from the car. and decide where you want to mount the coils.

2: strip the coverings off the wiring so you can see where and what wire each one does.

3: lable the pink wires so you know what wire is for each coil. then cut off near the plug

4: for r32s you will need to make sure you dont cut off the ground wires from the ingnitor pack(7 wires) to the other small plug(3 wires) next to it. r33 has (6wires and 2wires so there is no ground wires to deal with)

5: you will need the white power wire from the 3 or 2wire plug as that is the power wire for the coil pack.

6. group together the pink wires in to 3 sets. 1 and 6, 2 and 5, 3 and 4.

7: i suggest you lable the front of the coil pack as you attach the wires to the coil pack as to save on any confusion later on.

8: attach the white wires to the pins showen on the pic. it doesnt matter what side of pins you use as long as all the white are on 1 side and pink are on the other side.

post-23121-1146465015.jpg

post-23121-1146464715.jpg

9. mount the coil pack in your engine bay. make sure that the pins on the back are not touching anything. i folded mine down and put shrink wrap over them just to be safe.

10: put the spark plug leads on the spark plugs and the coil pack in the correct order and plug in ingnitor pack.

11: if your car had dropped a coil then you should reset your ecu. but reset it anyway to be on the safe side.

12: start your car. if it doesnt start check that the leads are on the right plugs as its easy to accidently put (3 and 4) on (1 and 6). if its r32 check that you grounded the ground wire.

otherwise just check that you did wire everything up correctly.

i will try and get walk through pics if i do the conversoin again :) hope this helps

hy do you have a photo of the way to wire up the small plug on the r32 ingnitor to the r33 coil loom plug thanks

• 1 year later...

So on the RB25DET R33 where does the Black/Pink wire which comes off the two pin plug go?

I am getting no spark on the coil for cylinders 1 and 6.

Only going to be able to test the coil tomorrow. I'm hoping it's just a faulty coil... but I'd say it's going to be the spade connector fitting inside the coil. Perhaps the best way about doing this would be to measure the VN spade size and more importantly length and then just cut a piece of sheetmetal to size to fit.

if i get this commodore setup going it will do away with the need for the ignitor pack as the commodore coils have the ignitor built in. also the good thing is that a full set of msd coils for a commodore are around $300, which is a lot cheaper than $900 for splitfire skyline coils.

but it is looking like it may be a week or 2 before i get a chance to have a try as i'm off to the test and tune day at willowbank this weekend.

So on a S1 Rb25DET you would bypass the ignitor and run the 6 wires directly to the VR/VS commodore coils? I did the conversion with commodore S2 coils on a S1 R33 and it has a rough idle... perhaps this is my issue. How do I know commodore coils have built in ignitors? The coil packs themselves? Or the DFI module that they sit on? Because I removed them off that plate.

• 2 years later...