SAU Community

Wasted Spark Ingnition

BADR33

hmm sounds like a few of your are having problems with this setup. check your joins and make sure you shrink wrap em so they cant short out.

mine has been running for almost a year now with no problems apart from screwing one coil pack but that was probly my own fault. but then mine is NA.

i have done it on my mates r33 that was misfireing at 10psi on stock coils. changed to wasted spark and it went hard and was saving him gas till he sold it.

my mate just did it on his and hes running 16psi and its fixed his coil problems.

im going to also be looking in to those mitsi coils to see if they are any better if i can get a hold of another coil wiring loom.

Edited by BADR33

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

from being an ex-holden mechanic :wave: id be more inclined to use the mitsu range of coils.

namely 6g72 gto twin turbo. there nice and compact and have bolt style terminals.

from memory they use a normal socket type lead plug to.

although the ultimate is series 4 rx7. there abit big though.

• 4 weeks later...
from being an ex-holden mechanic :huh: id be more inclined to use the mitsu range of coils.

namely 6g72 gto twin turbo. there nice and compact and have bolt style terminals.

dont the rx7 owners upgrade with Bosch HEC 715 coils?

im also quite interested to see how the mitsi ones go? my tuner has said to get some evo 1/3 coilpacks however they are 200 brand new and i dont know if im that keen to fork out 400 and im still going to need leads and the ignitor

• 3 months later...

Has anyone looked into the remapping of an r23 ecu to change the charge dwell time. I would suspect that this is where many of you will come to tears when trying to get some serious power out of your cars, as you really need to double the recharge time to fully saturate these big coils. I believe that the ecu can be reconfigured to do this. Also i would not really recommend the use of the standard ignitor, as the current drawn by the bigger coils could most certainly burn them out, especially if the recharge time is increased.

For my rb26/30, im planning on running 3 M&W waste spark coils($300) and a msd dis-4($300 s/h) Just need good leads, and ill have a setup that would blow splitfires to the weeds(thats why ive pulled them out)However im only using these coils because they were on a car that i bought, AU coils are more then up to it and would work almost as well, i would only be concerned about blowing the terminals off the coils with the almighty grunt of the CDI

• 1 month later...

ok i personally find the misti coil packs easyer to use and they look alot better. i can get a set of 3 for $33 from my local pickapart wreakers. so for less then $100 i can do wasted spark.

iv been running wasted spark for about 30,000ks and my ingnitor is still fine.

some aftermarket ecus run wasted spark. well i know that the GTSlink runs it as wasted spark.

iv now done this conversion on a r32 rb20det, s13 ca18det as well as r33 rb25det.

if your doing this conversion on a series 2 rb25det you can use a mitsi 3 chanel ingnitor off a v6 mitsi. ie v6 gallant.. has been done by a mechanic mate on a 275rwkw rb25det. im not to sure on how to wire it up but it really cant be that hard. all you need to do is double up the wiring in to the ingnitor. so instead of wiring 1 and 6 on to 1 coil pack. you just join them on the ingnitor. i will try and get a hold of a mitsi ingnitor as well.

when i get hold of another set of mitsi coils ill be making it for my skyline as i dont like the look of the buick 1.

• 4 weeks later...
ok i personally find the misti coil packs easyer to use and they look alot better. i can get a set of 3 for $33 from my local pickapart wreakers. so for less then $100 i can do wasted spark.

some aftermarket ecus run wasted spark. well i know that the GTSlink runs it as wasted spark.

iv now done this conversion on a r32 rb20det, s13 ca18det as well as r33 rb25det.

if your doing this conversion on a series 2 rb25det you can use a mitsi 3 chanel ingnitor off a v6 mitsi. ie v6 gallant.. has been done by a mechanic mate on a 275rwkw rb25det. im not to sure on how to wire it up but it really cant be that hard. all you need to do is double up the wiring in to the ingnitor. so instead of wiring 1 and 6 on to 1 coil pack. you just join them on the ingnitor. i will try and get a hold of a mitsi ingnitor as well.

when i get hold of another set of mitsi coils ill be making it for my skyline as i dont like the look of the buick 1.

hey man, i have a s2 rb25det in my cefiro, but will be running gtst loom and ignitor. would you be able to make up one of these mitsi coil wasted spark setups and send it up to auckalnd? if so how much?? (can also get in touch with me as LoFiRo on D1NZ Forums)

Thanks!!

• 1 month later...
hey man, i have a s2 rb25det in my cefiro, but will be running gtst loom and ignitor. would you be able to make up one of these mitsi coil wasted spark setups and send it up to auckalnd? if so how much?? (can also get in touch with me as LoFiRo on D1NZ Forums)

Thanks!!

hey man. i did send you a pm on d1nz but havnt heard back. check out the forsale section on d1nz for some links to my trademe auctions. if its coil pack loom exchange its 180 plus postage. so thats coils and leads. if you just want the wiring and coils its $100.

cheers.

• 7 months later...

howdy im puttin one of these on a series 2 25det . have scavanged a series 1 ignitor and the loom to the coils . also cut the plug for the ignitor off the engine bay loom in the donor car . wiring the ignitor to the new coils is easy but could you help me out with wiring thw ignitor th the existing loom in the series 2 ?

any help /photos greatly appreciated

lachlan

hey if you still have your series 2 coil loom id suggest you strip that down to just the wiring and find the wires that are the ingnitor wires. the power wire is easy to spot as that links all coils together. i will try get a photo of the one that has just been done on my mates car. i havnt wired one up myself but one of my friends has done a couple of series 2s with wasted spark.

hey if you still have your series 2 coil loom id suggest you strip that down to just the wiring and find the wires that are the ingnitor wires. the power wire is easy to spot as that links all coils together. i will try get a photo of the one that has just been done on my mates car. i havnt wired one up myself but one of my friends has done a couple of series 2s with wasted spark.

wow, after reading that entire thread.. i'm not sure what the best anything is to use :)

So i have a rb25det s2, the best thing to do this with is - r32 ignitor and mitsu v6 coils??

• 2 weeks later...

Did this mod on my RB25DET S2 used an R32 igniter. You can see it all attached to the firewall in my pic. Best mod I've done to my car so far, doesn't miss a beat. (Also put NGK BKR7E’s in at the same time, loves the colder plugs)

2465728460_7000d5f4e0_o.jpg

Before I did this mod I did a lot of hunting on the net for other peoples installs, I’ve attached there pics, give you some more ideas on how to do this mod

post-18623-1211426305_thumb.jpg

post-18623-1211426336_thumb.jpg

post-18623-1211426363_thumb.jpg

post-18623-1211426410_thumb.jpg

post-18623-1211426438_thumb.jpg

post-18623-1211426451_thumb.jpg

post-18623-1211426475_thumb.jpg

post-18623-1211426511_thumb.jpg

post-18623-1211426526_thumb.jpg

post-18623-1211426537_thumb.jpg

post-18623-1211426560_thumb.jpg

Edited by daxter

Ok after reading the whole I am pretty keen to do this to my RB20DET, what mitsu coil packs should I be looking out for, what leads, is there anything else I will need and should I get the ECU tuned for this mod or does it work fine in standard trim?

• 3 weeks later...

hey guys, I'm looking to do this setup on my series 1 rb25det here in Canada but we do not have a buick tridon here and the part number does not match up (I called Buick). If anyone could find me a vin number and year of production from the tridon it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Kyle

I know this is supposed to be wasted spark discusion but was reading about the install on the series 2.

I bought a set of Gen 3 coils with looms for $160 off ebay. As best I can tell all I need to do is mount the buggers, wire em in and buy a set of leads.

I'll give em a go when the std ones pack up or I can find a spare coil harness.

Some info on the coils.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=120533

• 1 month later...

Hey guys i just finished setting up my wasted spark setup on a series 2 rb25det engine. I used a series 1 ignitor and haltech coilpacks. Wired them all in and started the car. Started first go and ran beautifully. BUT!! When i drive it and it gets under a bit of load the thing missfires worse than ever, like really fast quick ones. I unplugged each coilpack 1 by 1 and the revs dropped a bit with each one removed so cant be the coils. On my way to get some new spark plugs now to see if it fixes the problem. Any other suggestions as to what my problem could be? Any one else had this problem after installing this setup?

Thanks...

Andrew

from being an ex-holden mechanic :D id be more inclined to use the mitsu range of coils.

ive been running vn wasted spark coilpacks on my rb 20 for about a year now and has been running 18psi all day every day and loves it.. i wouldnt look past the holden coil packs if you wanna go one better though get some vs msd coils..

that is what i will be putting on my new rb25 series 2 using an rb20 ignitior

Just went to turn on the car and as soon as it starts the revs drop to zero and car stalls. I can rev it and keep them up for a bit but its really rough and blows a f*** load of exhaust. Someone please HELP!!!!