SAU Community

When Do You Use O/d ?

toxic

just wondering...

when have you got the o/d button on?

is it on all the time?

or do you put it in overdrive after 80 or something?

i was driving around with it always on as the light on the dash annoy's me [O/D OFF]

but then today i decided to punt around with it off for a bit and i like the way the car drives/ sounds better.

So...

When do YOU use it....?

i drive around with o/d on all the time.

O/D is a fourth gear only selectable in 3rd gear via a 12V solenoid switch.

I too hate the light.

The reason the car sounded better was because at above 60km/h where it would be in O/D, the car was still in a lowered gear and made a better song.

I also use O/D when on the dyno to keep the car in 3rd gear.

I also use O/D when driving 170km/h+.....mainly because I've run out of 3rd by then :D

To be honest, Ive never taken O/D off on the road.

Turn it off when rolling down hill and you get some nice engine breaking, keeps from rolling over the 60km/h speed limit, something that is seriously lacking in a lot of auto boxes.

Luke

if you dont use OD all the time that means your engine is always operating at high rpms which equals to more fuel consumption

i alwasy use OD all the time with any cars.

Only disengage OD when i want a quicjker responses in gear change for over taking.

if you dont use OD all the time that means your engine is always operating at high rpms which equals to more fuel consumption

i alwasy use OD all the time with any cars.

Only disengage OD when i want a quicjker responses in gear change for over taking.

Incorrect, only at a speed above which the gear box would change up into fourth and then engage the lock up converter will you be using more fuel (higher RPM). True, that fouth would be engaged most of the time during normal driving, but that does not mean that the engine "revs harder" when overdrive is switched off.

To the smarties with manuals, enjoy peak hour won't you!

Cheers

Luke

Incorrect, only at a speed above which the gear box would change up into fourth and then engage the lock up converter will you be using more fuel (higher RPM). True, that fouth would be engaged most of the time during normal driving, but that does not mean that the engine "revs harder" when overdrive is switched off.

To the smarties with manuals, enjoy peak hour won't you!

Cheers

Luke

soz wat i meant was when you are in OD and if you disengages it it down shift to 3rd in turn higher rev. Just a matter of how much torque your car has. The more torque the less u need to change your geards.

This is especially true for a diesel engine.

Dont forget i have a trustworthy Landcruiser 100 series with 1hz rngine tuborcharged intercolled baby!! :)

I too leave it on all the time except when going down big hills that we have around here. When overtaking I just go, I like the rush between 70 and 140.

Im always flicking between O/D on and off........ under 60kmph then I dont see a need of O/D, around 80 then yes, I have O/D on. Going up or down hills I keep O/D off.......... no problem using the gearbox for the way it was designed!

well thats a product to fix that jerking feeling when it changes gears though. especially in an auto.

Its the Nulon uto transmission additive. its really good. I put one in into my lancruiser auto trans when i had it for service and it totally smooth and it change into gears w/o the jerking feeling and very smooth. I recommend it. I even put the additive for the diff and the tranfer case and it cuts the cabin noise by half. I put it into the 2 diffs and the transfer case. it works wonders.

im planning to use the additive on my 260rs when its time to chaange the transmission and dill oil as well as the tranfer case.

Edited by stasis

Guest Miss_Nismo

when do you guys use the 'power' switch - only when your going up hills? or do you think it makes a difference if you want some extra grunt on a flat strip

my son switches od off & power switch when coming up to the mountain. Roads about 5/6 k, very steep. goes much harder than with od on and in drive.

when i drive mountain roads, i turn the o/d off to stop it going into 4th (which is 180kph+ anyway) and i find that power is not as good as without it

i leave i stuck in 2nd anyway.

The POWER button changes shift points and how long gears hold for (shift points really) it doesn't open up the 3 extra cylinders... Maybe it should be called "sport" mode not power?

As far as I know anyway...

Luke

And here is the gear change logic from my r34 M_AT box (to give you a bit of an idea what it does..) -

gear_change.jpg

Note - if you have your foot down, it will not change from 3rd to 4th till about 175km/h

Also note, up changes and down changes are not symetrical...

Ian

• 5 months later...

This chart is interesting. Which Series is this for Ian?

My S2 will do 125 kmh on the rev limiter in 2nd gear, quite a bit more then the 110 listed above.

Havent checked the upper limit of the other gears yet.

My series 2 (auto) has no "O/D off" button and no "power" button so I guess that makes the whole "do i leave it on or off?" thing pretty simple :thumbsup:

I think the rationale is that the tiptronic pretty much replaces the other two. Plus it will still hit power mode if I put my foot down hard. But I would prefer the option to use power mode and still have it change gears for me.

I read somewhere that power mode not only changes the shift points, it also makes the throttle more sensitive and generally "feels" more responsive. Thats how it worked on my turbo silvia anyway. :laugh:

I too leave it on all the time except when going down big hills that we have around here. When overtaking I just go, I like the rush between 70 and 140.

**thinking out loud ** ...u definately like speeding tickets and demerits too