SAU Community

Knocking Sound Coming From Front Left Suspension

hey everyone,

theres a strange knocking sound (like metal on metal) coming from my left hand side front suspension. it sounds like something is loose or metal on metal when i go over bumps. ive had a mechanic look at it and he said nothings loose, the wheel bearing and ball joint is fine. the mechanic said the shock may be botteming out whatever that means. its been to a suspension shop recently for a suspension check and they also said everythings good. so its been to 2 places and both say nothings loose etc, but it really dosent sound right as the noise is fairly loud and is only coming from that side. personally i think it may be the shock as the HA coilovers are pretty old but anyone elses ideas and opinions would be greatly appreciatted. thanks.

I've had this noise before and it was the exhaust hitting underneath the car. It may not be that in your case but if you haven't checked already, see how much clearance there is between the exhaust and floorpan. With the car that had it I couldn't even fit my fingers around the top. I think the engine mount might also have something to do with it, if it's worn it will allow the engine to flex up more over bumps and stuff and cause the exhaust to hit up even if there is enough of a gap. On my current car I have the opposite problem, too much of a gap there which means it hangs too low and hits the speed hump instead :ban:

If your Tein HAs have pillio ball tops, then id bet money is that they are worn...hence the bumping noise. You can tell if you have pillio ball tops asw they currently used anodised shock tops, so have a look in your engine bay and see if there is an anodised alloy plate visible through where the shock bolts to the body

thanks everyone, so does that mean the whole shock needs replacing or can i just get that part replaced?

did this turn out to be the case??

yeah its defn the upper pillowball mounts..

im in the same problem..

guess what.. they are not cheap!! ... i am thinking about getting new shocks alltogether cause of it..

man mine makes a loud ass noise.. embarrassed to drive ppl in it :) ..

maybe we should go get new stuff or front upperball mounts together,, get a small group buy deal :thumbsup:

cheers,

JD

JD Give www.shockreco.com.au a call and see what they can do for you.

They are in queensland but they were the only ones in australia that i and many workshops know of that do recodition,id say all brands of shockies,back to their stock specifycations.

I sent them through australia post to Queensland,as well giving them the return p/h monies up front so no dilemmas in sending it back asap.

Worth a try.The price i found was reasonable also.

• 2 weeks later...

anyone know a price of the pillow joints? my recently purchased Tein HR shocks are knocking pretty bad. I now know why he was selling them!! Got someone to drive whilst i was in the boot and could feel them knocking.