SAU Community

Winding Back K's On A 32 Gts-t

32thrasher

Hiya, i purchased a gts-t type M for $13000, newly resprayed with 56000k's on the clock. The engine is absolutely 100% mickey, and the interior is very good, expecially for a 16 year old car. But im wondering if its possible that they wound back the amount of kilometers the car has done? It was just imported from japan and didnt have side intrusion bars or anything. Im not really suspicious of my car having been wound back but alot of the other 32 i looked at from import yards looked quite suss. so... Can it be done easily enough to tempt car dealers to do it?

NO DIY's please.

if its not wound back then you have a rare car-Ive seen them do it in Japan and they always take heaps off to-like sometimes the 1 in front of all the other numbers!!! :wub:

Yep, those sneaky Japanese always wind back the clocks, LOL! Not all of them though. I had a 180sx which had about 60,000 on the clock, and was a 1989 model. cops A#se it only did 60k! ITs not only in Japan that they do this to imports. When they arrive here, dodgy importers usually do it themselves too. My old 180 still had the import and auction papers in the glovebox, and also a flare!(?) but on the auction papers it had something like 87,000k's, so i could tell it had been wound back here in Australia.

Its very damn annoying though, that means i got ripped off. I was slightly suspicious because the k's were so low but, well the engine is real nice, it had the original belt on it and plugs had never been touched so, oh well. Engine nice, interior nice, paint on the outside is a bit of a cheap coat, and although it looks good, up close you can tell it was done cheap... Main pull was the 50k's and the engine.. most of the other ones i looked at had crud engines...

$13000 i paid for the 32 gts-t type M, and i suppose i did get ripped off.

Sucks that doosh bags do this. Im a 19 year old with a 13000 bank loan to pay off and now know that all along that i could have spent 11000 and got one that has been in australia for a while, with probably the same k's... argh...

Edited by 32thrasher

As written in the Skylines buyers guide on these forums, 99% of them have been wound back. When buying one dont judge it on km's but on overall condition. Sounds like you picked up a pretty good car anyway.

Yeah dude i found out my GTR had its Km's wound back. I had the dash out the other month and it actually looks like they broke stuff behind there. But the condition of the car is outstanding, especially the engine bay. Plus it still had the flare. Im happy with mine. But i know what you mean, it pisses ya off!

Im a 19 year old with a 13000 bank loan to pay off and now know that all along that i could have spent 11000 and got one

You're worried about $2k ? lol.. in the scheme of things in hardly matters..

Just be happy with it, as long as the car works all fine now and 12+ months into the future, you've done well.

Its very damn annoying though, that means i got ripped off. I was slightly suspicious because the k's were so low but, well the engine is real nice, it had the original belt on it and plugs had never been touched so, oh well. Engine nice, interior nice, paint on the outside is a bit of a cheap coat, and although it looks good, up close you can tell it was done cheap... Main pull was the 50k's and the engine.. most of the other ones i looked at had crud engines...

$13000 i paid for the 32 gts-t type M, and i suppose i did get ripped off.

Sucks that doosh bags do this. Im a 19 year old with a 13000 bank loan to pay off and now know that all along that i could have spent 11000 and got one that has been in australia for a while, with probably the same k's... argh...

Several things mate. As we always say it's not how many ks the car has done. Ks is only one indicator of quality/condition. A car that has done 100000ks (easy driving) will probably be in better condition than a car that has done 30000ks (thrashed daily at the track).

If the engine is 'real nice' as you say, then you have a good car. Simple as that. The 11k one that you were looking at may well ahve done less ks or whatever, but as they say, you get what you pay for. if that engine blows, it would easily push it over 13k. probably push it over 15k if you don't know how to change engines yourself.

Most 32s being pretty long in the tooth are in terrible condition. NB: I did not say all of them, so don't flame me. If you bought a 15 year old car from autsralia, what would you be getting? probably an r31 family sedan, vl/vn commo etc or some other equivalent shitbox. So, if it's in good condition, what i'm saying, is if the car is good. be happy, instead of worrying about how many ks it should have or does ahve.

Hope everything works out for ya champ.

Edited by 97r33gtst-typeM

who gives a hoot about the ks.

mines got 165k on it and its beautiful, running over 200rwkw day in day out.

u cant rely on the kms being accurate in any 32 so theres really no point getting worried about it.

sounds like u got a sweet 32 anyway, i payed 13k for mine when it had 130k on it.

so relax and enjoy ur new car :D

• 1 month later...

i got a 96 na with 90,000k's the engine looks great sounds really good has a few chips on the front bonnet i am the first owner in aus as of may this year . is there any way i can tell if it has been wound back apart from the belt? and the engine sounding like a kombi?

the exaust rattles and smells like rotten eggs (could this be a sign that it has done alot more kms then just 90,000?)i think its the cat i have no idea, but i think the first thing is first. alarm,air filter,springs/rims.

what odessa said.. dont worry wat it says on the clock its wat the condition of the car tells you.... my odometer is about to hit 480,000kms! but my hundred thousand meter is broken it moves everytime i boost! hahah 100,000km a week roughly :P

what odessa said.. dont worry wat it says on the clock its wat the condition of the car tells you.... my odometer is about to hit 480,000kms! but my hundred thousand meter is broken it moves everytime i boost! hahah 100,000km a week roughly :laugh:

hahahaha :glare: You must change the timming belt every week :laugh: