SAU Community

Nitrogen In tyres

Morning,

The Guy at Bob Jane rang me today and asked if i wanted to try out his new service of putting nitrogen my tyres. And I wouldnt have a clue of what it does..

Are there any real benefits from doing this?

LAter.

if it's free , yes .

If they want money , no.

Minimises tyre pressure build up and lets tyres run slightly cooler.

Keep your tyre pressures up with regular checks and will last just as long

besides , every time you have to put air in , are you going to go back to them ?

Mix air and nitrogen in the tyre and it will lose the effect

Cheers

Ken

Fhuck thats a load of crap.....they really are running out of ways to make money aren't they!!!!! next thing it'll be 50cents a tyre to peel off the stickers and screw on the valve caps....this sort of crap shiits me coz they pray on people with no idea and give them the old "is your safety worth an extra $5 a wheel" .......wankers

Yeh but nitrogen is fairly inert.

It will leak out just like air.

Imagine a drink, 80% coke, 20% rum. Mostly coke, but it'll affect you, wherease 100% coke is totally different.

My Bob Jane guy gives free top ups after you use nitrogen.

Im going to try it, you never know if you never go.

It does not leak, if it leaks you have a valve issue.

My mum (driving instructor) has been using nitrogen now for about 3mths. It has not changed in pressure at all since day 1. Previously she had to check her tyres fortnightly because they would loose pressure.

The tyres are much cooler after long drives and the ride is slightly smoother.

When I get new tyres i will deffinetly be doing it.

• 9 months later...

I was offered it for free, so what the heck I did it. Heres a couple of things i've noticed on the GTR over the past week or so. -->NB: I'm no expert

1. Even in a straigt line, the torque split gauge rises about a qtr under throttle. Where this never happened, with air in the tyre, unless it was wet.

2. The ride seems a little harder

3. With the air in the tyres, the tyres felt a little doughy & soft "yes they were pumped, pressure was ~36psi", & the steering a little heavier. Now, the steering is lighter & feels more like pin sharp steering.

4. The rear tyres grip level may have been sacrificed ???

Overall, Im happy to keep using it :)

As far as helium goes, I know just the song... I think Engleburt Humpington sang it.. "up, up & away in my beautiful, my beautiful gaaaattttrrrrr"

The main points of nitrogen is that it doesn't leak unless you have a puncture or faulty valve, and the pressure doesn't go up as much with heat.

If I can find a place to do it for $5 a wheel when I buy my new tyres, I will definitely be getting it. Mainly for the convenience of never having to top up my tyres.