SAU Community

How To Fix Missfire Problem

MKDR33

Problem:

My S1.5 R33 used to missfire from around 4500rpm til about 5500rpm @ 12psi+ (especially in the cold). I tried everything, from installing an SAFC II piggyback to tune the AFR to regapping my spark plugs etc.

Solution:

The stock coil packs have a hairline split on the side of them, which at high boost levels, the spark tends to not follow through to the spark plug, but jumps out of the coil pack. After sealing up all my coil packs, my car runs much smoother now, I can boost it to 16psi and I dont get any missfiring.

D.I.Y. Fix:

For a quick and cheap fix for this problem.. (the following was done with spark plugs regapped to 0.8)

R33 GTS-t Fix (Im guessing that the same problem occurs on the R32 & 34):

1. Take off the plastic cover in the middle of the engine (between the tapper covers) which covers your coil packs

2. Unplug and unscrew each coil pack (all six) and take them out

3. Holding the coil packs vertically, inspect the sides and locate the hairline split (as shown below)

post-29255-1148711213.jpg

4. Once you locate the split, using GOOD electrical tape (cheap stuff WONT work), tape over the split a couple of times, making sure the tape sits flat over the split and seals it firmly (as shown below)

post-29255-1148711253.jpg

5. Once you have taped up all 6 coil packs, screw them back in place and reconnect the plugs

6. Place your plastic cover back over the coil packs (I have left mine off for better cooling of the coil packs)

Done! :P

MORE HELP:

For more info on taking out the coil packs ---> http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...showtopic=42819

Another alternative is buying Splitfires, but this is around $700+ dearer to do..

PS. Make sure you use GOOD electrical tape, as cheap stuff tends to get hard and peel off from the heat.

EDIT: Or as QRI05E recommended - for a more reliable seal, use 'Shelleys Industrial Silicon Sealer 401' for only $11 @ Bunnings.

Edited by MKDR33

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The tape will eventually soften and shrink due to heat... a much more permanent method would be to use Shelley's industrial grade silicon which is heat proof till 205 deg/C... $11 at Bunnings and has got rid of all of the misfire…

Cheers

ive had mine like this for about 4 months now, i still havnt had any problems.. but it sounds more reliable to use shelleys ind. silicon..

thanks for ur post QRI05E

these must be series 2 coils series ones are different, atleast they are on my mates seddan. the coil goes all the way arround, so the only way to fix any cracs is to epoxy the entire thing, as we did.

simply dipped the whole thing in 2min epoxy, worked well.

Epoxy glue is excellent for bonding materials however loses strength above 65 deg/c and considering that silicon is a MUCH better insulator and the Shelley's ind. silicon can withstand 205 deg/c makes it a much better choice...

:)

i went to bunnings today and bought Shelleys Industrial Grade Silicon Sealer 401.. Removed the electrical tape from the coil packs and resealed with some silicon.. waited around 4 hours so it dries up nicely n took the beast for a thrashing..

i must say, it does seem more reliable to use the silicon.. when i took my coil packs out today, i did notice the tape had shrunk a bit a little bit over the split..

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Rotary20B

Hi,

I just pulled my coils out, plugs will have to wait till I find a proper plug socket for it

Anyway, I couldn't see any noticeable cracks, only what looks like casting marks

My S1 coils are different to the ones pictured above too

Should I just seal them up anyways? Or wait till I get the plugs and a socket tomorrow and just try re gapping the plugs?

The coils have a bit of oil covering them too, don't think tape would stick too well, whats the safest thing to use to clean them up?

Also, has anyone tried self amalgamating tape?

This is, mine only stuffed up after I upgraded the exhaust

So I thinking it is just the plugs need regapping

coils.jpg

coils2.jpg

Edited by Rotary20B

had a simmilar problem, so i took out my coils and allthough they all had thesam resistance and no cracks visible, i wrapped them up for good luck, i took out the plugs to discover it had two different types, no wonder it had a missfire.

So i changed the plugs to BRK6AYE or something like that, gapped to .8 mm and all good, pulls way harder and no missfire so far.

YEEEHHHA, bring on the boost

Mine did not have any cracks, pulled them out twice and checked them, one thing you cant visually check is wear. Waiting for my new splitfires to come from Japan, cost $540

Mine did not have any cracks, pulled them out twice and checked them, one thing you cant visually check is wear. Waiting for my new splitfires to come from Japan, cost $540

I couldnt spot the cracks on mine either but I taped them up anyway. Problem solved. Off to bunnings to guy some silicon