SAU Community

Best GPS Trackers?

thizzle

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dont use quiktrak, even tho they use radio instead of gps, they a f**king hopeless, my car got broken into ages ago, they never told me. yet my car is sitting in my driveway and the battery starts to go flat, THEY CALL ME!! wat the

have heard mixed opinions on some brands..whos best? who has had bad experiences with them?

who has has good?...thanks for any info..

Tracking is usually very expensive especially if there are annual monitering fees. When you you add the costs of insurance, rego, greenslip, fuel and all the money spent in mods and add-ons it can make you think is it worth it? Most insurance companies don't stipulate that you must have Tracking in your car and if they do, then you should consider another insurer because under the latest Government regulations as long as the product is Australian Standards and/or Insurance Standards then they usually cover you for theft, so if they are willing to replace the car then what's the problem.

A good security system with multipoint immobilisation, keyguard and antihijack is by far a safer way to protect your car against theft and if that isn't enough then you can get a GSM Paging system on a prepaid simcard so your car can notify you if someone is breaking in.

Tracking is usually very expensive especially if there are annual monitering fees. When you you add the costs of insurance, rego, greenslip, fuel and all the money spent in mods and add-ons it can make you think is it worth it? Most insurance companies don't stipulate that you must have Tracking in your car and if they do, then you should consider another insurer because under the latest Government regulations as long as the product is Australian Standards and/or Insurance Standards then they usually cover you for theft, so if they are willing to replace the car then what's the problem.

A good security system with multipoint immobilisation, keyguard and antihijack is by far a safer way to protect your car against theft and if that isn't enough then you can get a GSM Paging system on a prepaid simcard so your car can notify you if someone is breaking in.

Why not get a self monitored GPS/GSM tracking unit.

You will get a call/SMS if your car is broken into/towed away and you can track the vehicle and romotely kill the engine from your phone.

with the phone systems can you see what streets the car is in?

like quicktrak? what about blackspots?

i wanna be able to see were its goin..ive heard of wrxs with keypads bein stolen and never recoverd..

how much do the sms pagers cost roughly?

Edited by thizzle

sms units are $550-600. that said the person that fits it may not tie the immobiliser to it for safety reasons.

quiktrak would be a better option if you have service in your area.

they usually have the car secured with in 15 minutes IF it gets going.

Was looking through websites for an antenna when I came across the CarMinder at RFShop (www.rfshop.com.au). They're selling them for $742.50, however it comes down to $642 for a 25 buy (cheaper for 100...) Group buy anyone? (Not that I have the money at the mo... - need discs first!)

Has anyone seen/owned one of these? They look pretty good - I almost built something similar using an old Nokia 5110...

Considering there's no ongoing monitoring fee (except for a pre-paid SIM card), it looks well worth it and could create some nifty features. (SMS controlled door unlock?)

also with the sms units..say ur car is in a carpark were your phone doesnt get service? i often lose reception in underground car parks etc etc..is it then outta action till u leave that carpark?

Quick track has my votes, seen it on many of my friends cars!

www.ezitrak.com is probably the best one around atm.

CarMinder is okay, but it's major drawback is that it uses SMS to communicate. Telco's do not guaratee the carriage of SMS.

Ezitrak uses voice, data and SMS to communicate. The carriage of voice and data services are gauranteed by telcos through SLA's and SFOA's.

Hi guys,

I have had a lot of expereince with www.ezitrak.com and recommend their product, they designed the unit in-house and versions of it are often sold re-branded by other leading tracking companies.

CarMinder is okay, but it's major drawback is that it uses SMS to communicate. Telco's do not guaratee the carriage of SMS.

Ezitrak uses voice, data and SMS to communicate. The carriage of voice and data services are gauranteed by telcos through SLA's and SFOA's.

I haven't used any of these products but will be interested in using them later this year to next year when I get my new car...

I'm just confused on your comment about Ezitrak vs CarMinder, how does Ezitrak use voice, data and sms to communicate? I am aware that it can call and sms.

To quote there website:

It simply uses the extensive GSM cellular phone network for communication & GPS (Global Positioning System) of satellites for location, enabling it to operate effectively throughout Australia, the UK, Europe, USA and parts of Asia.

Well so does CarMinder, CarMinder can be set to ring you as well as sms. CarMinder also gives UBD street directory information, this could be useful. Does Ezitrak do the same?

Does anyone know how much ezitrak costs?

I'm interested in more opinions on this, I know quiktrack has a good reputation in the areas it covers, although I haven't heard much about Ezitrak or Carminder...

I haven't used any of these products but will be interested in using them later this year to next year when I get my new car...

I'm just confused on your comment about Ezitrak vs CarMinder, how does Ezitrak use voice, data and sms to communicate? I am aware that it can call and sms.

To quote there website:

Well so does CarMinder, CarMinder can be set to ring you as well as sms. CarMinder also gives UBD street directory information, this could be useful. Does Ezitrak do the same?

Does anyone know how much ezitrak costs?

I'm interested in more opinions on this, I know quiktrack has a good reputation in the areas it covers, although I haven't heard much about Ezitrak or Carminder...

and both can be disabled..

food for thought. try doing that with a quiktrak - it will still transmit and do so 4 stories underground!

as a second point the local council uses this system on their fleet and they HAD GSM units in this fleet. they were forever losing the fleet. average vehicle cost for this fleet is $2.5m.

again food for thought

Carminder can be set up to ring you on triggers, it's just switched off by default. Personally I can't see much wrong with Carminder other than the fact that you can block the GPS signal. But if you are really concerned about that, sign up for Quicktrak as well. But even Quicktrak can be disabled by going into a GSM "dead zone" so nothing's perfect unless you buy extra bits to make up for the drawbacks of the first bits.

There's no guarantees to keep your car safe, because if a professional wants it, he will get it. Even the best security devices can be bypassed with a gun to your head and that doesn't even require the thief to be skillful at all. But that's why you also get insurance no matter what security devices you have, because that is really the only guarantee that you'll at least be compensated should the worst happen.

The perfect solution I reckon is to lynch all car thieves like they did to horse thieves in the old west, until there's none left. Hmm, maybe that's more of a "final solution" :D

it seems like no matter how much you spend on your alarm system some prick will find a way to disarm and take off in your prized posession... quicktrak is the main one ive heard of and thats prolly the one im gonna go for... as noone will insure my car for the value its worth (r31 wagon rb25det neo + 6grand sound system) this is my best option

HIGHLY illegal to do this... atleast in VIC anyways

Why not get a self monitored GPS/GSM tracking unit.

You will get a call/SMS if your car is broken into/towed away and you can track the vehicle and romotely kill the engine from your phone.

Actually in Vic under the Vicroads guidelines for modifications and roadworthiness remote engine disbling devices and gsm pagers with disable capabilities are perfectly legal.

They must be installed correctly of course, but legally you are allowed to own and use one of these devices.

well when the police explained it to me (same with someone selling a gps tracker)

if you remotly disable your car and its in traffic or heading towards a tree etc etc its not going to be a pretty sight....

pretty sure if someone steals your car, and you cause them to be in an accident they will sue the crap out of you...

just like when someone breaks into your house and you beat them up.. they sue you..

i might be wrong.. like i said thought just going on what the cops / gps seller guy told me