SAU Community

Oil In Turbo?

Turbo is a garrett Gt3540 i took intake piping off and noticed there is oil infront of the intake impellor and also in the oulet pipe to intercooler what does this mean??? Perhaps this has got to my AFM hence why i have had idle problems, i have noticed when i turn the car off i hear the turbo wind down for about 30 seconds after. Surely the oil seals cant be leaking its a brand new turbo!

Do you have your breather hose going back into your intake pipe like std setup does? If so then the case is simply any blowbly/bad breath is going through your intake system and into your pipes. If you dont, then yeh....magic perhaps?

Edited by r33_racer

Do you have your breather hose going back into your intake pipe like std setup does? If so then the case is simply any blowbly/bad breath is going through your intake system and into your pipes. If you dont, then yeh....magic perhaps?

LOL no i dont, wish i did.... :P

Edited by FOOLBOOST

If drain is blocked it will push oil through the front seal, also if you have to much crankcase pressure.

Yes thats what im thinking "Crank case pressure", because at one stage for one start i did block my oil breather up when i was connecting up the catch can, maybe this is the excess oil from then, i noticed it started to blow smoke then and once i fixed it up stopped, lucky i didnt blow the oil seals in the motor... this was all caused because i hooked my catch can up the same way as in an r33 and my car being an r32 i didnt realise i had blocked the oil breather... What the best way to test the oil drain and see if it is draining well enough???

pic of the engine bay please :spank:

The oil on AFM will be causing idle issues, without a doubt.

Simple degreaser will fix that one.

If the Rocker Cover pipe is still connected to the turbo intake before the AFM, thats the most likely cause

The oil return probably wont cause oil in the compressor/intake side of the turbo... its rare.

Did you check the flow before installing the turbo?

pic of the engine bay please :spank:

The oil on AFM will be causing idle issues, without a doubt.

Simple degreaser will fix that one.

If the Rocker Cover pipe is still connected to the turbo intake before the AFM, thats the most likely cause

The oil return probably wont cause oil in the compressor/intake side of the turbo... its rare.

Did you check the flow before installing the turbo?

Yes my car was hunting up on idle from 300-800, and i can see the oil stain on the pod filter...

Ok ill get some pics as soon as i have a chance, there are no pipes connected to the intake before the turbo at all. What do you mean by checking the flow???

lol actually i was in a tired silly mood, i was gonna say 'magic' was the only thing left. But yes excessive crankcase pressure, but wouldnt the dipstick have shot through the bonnet? Perhaps not to that extent.

Remove it and inspect, look for a blockage of somesort. I would think it would be pretty hard to block up a 3/4" hose, unless its further up in the arse end of the turbo itself before the hose.

Your catch can system is breathing right? It hasnt recently sprayed out excess oil over your intake system maybe? We had a similiar problem with the race car, pcv was stuck open half way and boost was leaking out into the rocker covers and forcing oil into the catch can and then spraying it out the breather and straight onto the filter and through the afm and into the turbo. Safe to say no more pcv into intake manifold anymore hehe :spank:

lol actually i was in a tired silly mood, i was gonna say 'magic' was the only thing left. But yes excessive crankcase pressure, but wouldnt the dipstick have shot through the bonnet? Perhaps not to that extent.

Remove it and inspect, look for a blockage of somesort. I would think it would be pretty hard to block up a 3/4" hose, unless its further up in the arse end of the turbo itself before the hose.

Your catch can system is breathing right? It hasnt recently sprayed out excess oil over your intake system maybe? We had a similiar problem with the race car, pcv was stuck open half way and boost was leaking out into the rocker covers and forcing oil into the catch can and then spraying it out the breather and straight onto the filter and through the afm and into the turbo. Safe to say no more pcv into intake manifold anymore hehe :)

LOL yes i did hook it up wrong and i didnt have a dipstick in but it did blow almost 1Litre of oil out of the dipstick hole and the oil in the dipstick and the rocket cover went a milky colour due to the presurising then my car started to blow tonnes of blue smoke when reving i thought it was a blown headgasket then i realised i had completely blocked the breather on the plenum.... OOPS :spank: I think this is the excess oil that would have been blown through then as there was oil only around where the hose clamp fittings where hence maybe it had been there a while. I have noticed a wind down noise from the turbo when i turn her off is this normal?? At the moment i have connected my catch can as follows, i have left hose from plenum to both cam covers then where it used to go back into the intake piping i have hosed it into one side of the catch can and the other side of the catch can is venting to the atmopshere...

Edited by FOOLBOOST

i have the same thing on my HKS 3040 . small puddle on the silicon joiner on the Compressor inlet ..

same as you i dont have the catch can return going into the pipe either.

i bought mine 2nd hand, but if you bought it new from a garrett reseller try asking them or garrett directly

i have the same thing on my HKS 3040 . small puddle on the silicon joiner on the Compressor inlet ..

same as you i dont have the catch can return going into the pipe either.

i bought mine 2nd hand, but if you bought it new from a garrett reseller try asking them or garrett directly

Ok well at least im not alone :spank: , ill be calling ATS tomorrow, must be a seal problem by the looks of things if you have the same problem...