SAU Community

Got Pulled Over Now Need Epa Check? Help

xxstuxx

Hi guys, i got pulled over in my skyline a few weeks ago for speeding, the copper didnt do anything on the day but about a week later i got a letter saying i had to take it into the EPA for a test or they will cancel the registration. Heres my problem, the car itself (4 door 32 gtst) Has a blow off valve, a fmic, and has been tuned by dr drift(the previous owner had it done). Now i know it runs as rich as hell, if i dont wash it for a week the back of the car gets a whole heap of black shit on it from the exhaust....and it does smoke a fair bit

I was wondering if anyone would know maybe how it was tuned? Somone had mentioned to me that he probably just reprogrammed the onboard computer? its got no super afc, or any other visible computer mods, and i need to know what i need done to it to get it to pass the EPA test. Will the bov pass the test or do i need to take it off?? If so where would i get the piece that i need to put in place of it?? I'm about to sell the car soon so even if i can get it tuned back to standard i wont mind.

I know alot of questions but i really need some advice on this from anyone who has maybe had the same problem or knows anyone who has.

If anyone has a contact for dr drift that would be helpfull to.

HELP!!!!!!!!

Thanks for any advice anyone can give me.

Edited by xxstuxx

First thing is DON'T PANIC!!, once you have done this test you'll understand how much of a waste fo time it is.

Is it a trip out to Macleod to the EPA or just a noise test??

A atmo-venting BOV will not pass! If it is, can you make it 'plumb back'?

I know from my 3 visit's that there's no need to panic about the EPA. Anything that you fail on the day they just issue you with a green sticker and then you have 28 days to fix whatever failed. I failed for noise the first time i went through, just came back 28 later and passed easy.

As for richness, just wash the car on the way out there...they only check the mixtures at idle. For me, they just had a good look under the bonnet, and just stuck their head inside the cabin for a look for any aftermarket stuff. Then they just put the probe thing in the exhaust while in idle. Then you just drive about 10m to a little rectangle on the ground where they test you for noise. If it's raining, they can't test for noise! I think i was there for about 8 mins.

(this was for a WRX too :) )

Thanks for your advice guys, i will take the bov off, can anyone point me in the direction of getting a plumback?? bit of a newbie when comes to my car :P I don't want to get ripped off, and i really only need it to pass this test so im not looking to spend heaps of $$ on it. As for the exhaust, not 100% sure what sort it is, and wether the cat is still in it, i think it may be a hi flow exhaust??(could be wrong remember im a noob) i just know it blows the smoke good and proper. i think i'll see what happens and if they fail ill just get a normal exhaust. thanks again for your advice.

Edited by xxstuxx

if its blowing smoke it could be possible u dont have a cat, if u take ur car into EPA and they c that u dont have a cat they will slap u with a huge fine!

best u get it checked out at any exhaust shop first

Also you can only have one intake mod, so you have to have a stock airbox on with your fmic. Unless you want to remove the fmic.

Thanks for the tip, it has a pod filter on it, can anyone give me some advice where to look for bits? as i'm going to need the plumback and the original air intake box (which i dont have), somewhere that i wont get ripped off as i got no idea what this stuff is worth.

• 2 weeks later...

ive still got my stock airbox and stock bov and ive got the same model car so everythin will go in no probs...pm me if u need it for the test :(

air boxes from importers are very expensive.. a couple of places wanted $250 but i got a air box from a 31 skyline for $20 from an aussi wreacker they dont fit perfict but the "look like they do"

Also you can only have one intake mod, so you have to have a stock airbox on with your fmic. Unless you want to remove the fmic.

Hi there,

Pods are fine, provided they are secured well.

Boost controllers and after-market computers are a problem

Obviously noise and pollution too