SAU Community

Rb20det With Garett Gt2871r To Laggy?

Will be very interseted to see how your kit works out. If you have any problems or if all smooth sailing.

I don't expect to see my kit for about 3 weeks so I have time to upgrade the fuel pump, injectors, AFM, front pipe and dump pipe, intercooler, air box, brakes and coil overs.

I will let you all know how how it comes along..

:wave:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah well I'm in the same boat too but I ordered the HKS GTRS. It should be here sometime this week from nengun. Could be a few weeks yet till I can install it but it should be a well worth the wait.

Any news on your setup? Results, whether you have cam gears etc?

Thats why i was asking. Also do you have a cat, and what brand and diam is the exhaust?

nah, no cat and like i said i just got a new custom exhaust (cat back) 2 months ago, its 3inch, 1 centre muffler and last 50cm is 4inch :rofl:

Sam reckons that cam gears will make a big difference in boost response, so i'll be getting a set soon....

you don't have a cat either do you?

I have a catalytic converter, a 3' Catco. I take it out for track work, but hasnt been back in since Dutton. Only takes 10 minutes and 4 bolts. Keeping killing gaskets though changing it in and out all the time, need new gaskets for when i put the cat back in otherwise im going to have a leak:(

Ok, so the breathing on your engine was pretty on the money then. Was thinking more and more about it last night...i dont think i want to get rid of the RB20+TD06 combo. Its too good value :rofl:

Well the turbo is on and i coldn't be happier.

As for results I really haven't had alot of time to do much since I ftted the turbo and at the moment I am trying to sort out rego changeover from QLD to NSW and the car goes in shortley to sort out a pod filter box/partition and a blueslip etc. :rofl:

The boost starts round 2 k and full boost is around 4k but the tune is a little lean between 2.5k and 3.5k so the turbo isn't comeing on as quickly as it can(old tune for old ITS turbo). Top end is not bad I can say.

Once that is all sorted I'll organise a dyno run for a couple of 15psi and 20psi runs.

Have no idea on what the results will be like to be honest.

In my opinion the HKS GT-RS a perfect upgrade for the RB20.

For 2.6k delivered you cantgo wrong.

So yeah sorry I can't help ya's out much yet. :D

..i dont think i want to get rid of the RB20+TD06 combo. Its too good value :D

after last night, i don't think you can really get any better package then what you already have for a RB20 :rofl:

244rwkw with response of a GTRS is pretty much as good as your gonna get.....i mean without going the rb25 route, you will have to spend alot of $$ for not much more gain.....however, some nice 264 cams would no doubt make things interesting :D

I have a catalytic converter, a 3' Catco. I take it out for track work, but hasnt been back in since Dutton. Only takes 10 minutes and 4 bolts. Keeping killing gaskets though changing it in and out all the time, need new gaskets for when i put the cat back in otherwise im going to have a leak:(

Ok, so the breathing on your engine was pretty on the money then. Was thinking more and more about it last night...i dont think i want to get rid of the RB20+TD06 combo. Its too good value :P

I remember Sydneykid saying that a straight pipe makes up to 10rwkw more than a gutted cat , because the flow is straight instead of expanding into a chamber and then narrowing back to 3"......

hmm, maybe i need to try straight pipe :sorcerer:

Ive paid for the cams, should not be too far away, but i dont think i want to spend the money on getting them installed and the car tuned, Thats over $1000 put towards better things, like hookers.

Though if i can get a good time at Sandown next year, it will be tempting to front the cash for install, good fuel and 1,6bar and a tow home :P Piss funny if the little girl can keep pace with some of the more powerful cars.. (I am dreaming :) )

The real surprise is at 4,000rpm you have about 100rwkws and i have 135rwkws. And my peak torque is 506ft.lbs at about 4,900rpm but you make your peak torque of 416ft.lbs at 5,400rpm. It would be interesting to see the torque curves, mine is making a boat load more torque a lot earlier.

...did i say get some cam gears and dyno time :cheers:

So much for Greddy turbos being old truck turbos :cheers:

hmm, maybe i need to try straight pipe :sorcerer:

do it :P

this thread has been pretty interesting

the GT-RS definitley looks like a good upgrade

I'm currently using a td05h 16g, but i want to upgrade to something ball bearing in the future

i was thinking either the 2871r/26r or the 3071r

ive heard lots of bad things about the 3071r though, something about the exhaust housing..?

Just pay a bit of money and get your TD05 high flowed with a 20G compressor :P

THe td05 compressor housing is really ineffecient though

i'd need to get an 06 comp. cover

and in the end its still not ball bearing

although, the results your 20g has given give me a lot of faith in the greddy/trust turbos

meh to ball bearing. There is much more to them. HKS rate it at 400ps, Greddy the 20G at 420hp. And the 20G is (in this case) more responsive making power sooner. The boost plots are basically the same, but the actual torque and engine power is better with the 20G. Explain that???

According to HKS USA

HKS GT-RS - 400 PS Output

COMPRESSOR:

-Wheel- 52 Trim - 51.2 Inducer / 71.1 Major

-Housing- 60 Inlet / 50 Outlet - 0.60 A/R

TURBINE:

-Wheel- 76 Trim - 53.8 Major / 47.0 Exducer

-Housing- GT25 inlet / Internal GT25 outlet; 0.64 A/R

Greddy TD06-20G - 420hp Output

COMPRESSOR:

-Wheel- 60 Trim - 52.6 Inducer / 68 Major

-Housing- TD06 housing

TURBINE:

-Wheel- TD06S6 Trim - 65 Major / 55.1 Exducer

-Housing- TD06S 3 bolt 8cm

So for some reason the wheels in the 20G just get the job done :P

meh to ball bearing. There is much more to them. HKS rate it at 400ps, Greddy the 20G at 420hp. And the 20G is (in this case) more responsive making power sooner. The boost plots are basically the same, but the actual torque and engine power is better with the 20G. Explain that???

? easy.

-your using 3psi more than me.

-your a/f ratios are far leaner than mine, you had close to 13:1 afr.

-External gate will always make more power because of less restriction

-you have tuned lenght s/s manifold. and i have stock cast.

-you have properly tuned cam gears...

& even in rwd my gts4 will have more drivetrain loss than a true rwd.

that will account for more kw than the actual turbo sizes. :P

All good points, but im not talkign about peak powre. I will be interesting to see if cam gears can pick you up 35rwkws in the mid range and get you almost 100lb.ft of torque a few hundred rpm earlier.

Peak power im not too fussed about. If you wound your boost up to what i run you woudl have bagged in the 230+.

Just trying to make the point, the response of a turbo has more to do with wheels etc etc then whether its ball bearing

All good points, but im not talkign about peak powre. I will be interesting to see if cam gears can pick you up 35rwkws in the mid range and get you almost 100lb.ft of torque a few hundred rpm earlier.

35rwkw! haha no way, if i get an extra 10-15rwkw i'll be more than happy :P

The main thing is to get boost sooner....