SAU Community

Computer Tuning

>we cant touch it blah blah you have to go straight to dickson.

because it was an import or because it was modified?

Because it was modified, nothing to do with import. I took my standard 180 to the same people to get it registered and there wasnt a prob. F&*k oh well ill soon find out if ill have to change everything...AARGH!!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After glancing over the thread,it struck me that only a few people research what they own/drive/modify BEFORE they actually do it. Even fewer have a good grasp on WHY something is illegal/legal,or shouldn't be modified(backyard style or not). It's pretty simple:modified ANYTHING on a standard car,it need to be inspected and written up by a certified automotive engineer,with the pertinent piece of paper being carried in the car at all times. The second that modification is changed/altered,or another one is made,the same procedure has to done all over again. I've heard horror stories of someone by the side of the road wising up to an officer with a standard family car that got defected...for a stereo head unit change,light(read:easily legal)tint and seat covers. No letter? You're off to Dickson! If the law was strictly enforced,none of our cars would pass,realistically. Even the inspectors at Dickson know this,as too most(not all)Police officers. However,if things are done safely,and without changing design parameters too drastically,even these people we all seem to fear unconditionally will sign off on our vehicles. A little thought first as to what you're changing,and it's effects,may go a long way! Ask questions on forums like this one!And to mates(taking information with a grain of salt).And to the relevant authorities. Make an informed decision(will fitting a T88 to my RB20 place my braking system under extra strain?Well,duh!),then go about it properly! I agree there seems to be too many in the places of rulemaking and red tape that give us mixed information:it's up to us to chase the facts down. No good standing beside the road saying "But my best friend's mate's girlfriend's father-in-law had the same modification done in the 70's,and HE didn't get hassled,Officer..."

AKZ Engineering, John Wilson - Mechanical Engineer

Ph: 6236 3009

Mob: 0417 230 074

This guy is a well respected engineer, hes engineered a few of my friends cars aswell as mine, i would recommend him to anyone with modified cars seeking rego in the ACT or NSW..

I had heaps of mods on my 33 when i first purchased it, and i had problems aquiring rego in NSW.. i paid $500 for a complete engineers report from this guy.. he came out to my work, took him half an hour to inspect my car, recorded the db noise levels, the rim sizes, bodykits, intercooler, engine numbers, inspected the engine etc and wrote out a complete report for me the next day..

Oh and ive been pulled over a number of times since i got my car engineered... and in one instance, a cop told me that i wasnt allowed to have a turbotimer in my car, as he pointed to it while i was jumping out of the car , i then reached in my glove box and showed him the engineers report and he shut his mouth and went on about his business.. it was the funniest sh*t ive ever expirienced.. :whistling:

Edited by MKDR33

• 2 weeks later...
Hey guys,

Does anyone have a silencer or even a standard exhaust that might fit my car?? :O:)

i have a blitz neuro spec v silencer don't know if it will fit your car

quick two cents on this topic from past experience

girlfriend and i both bought r33 skylines

mine standard except for wheels already rego'd in act

passed rego first go at discount tyres, went to shop front 2 1/2yrs later no probs

Hers, exhaust wheels boost controller sequential bov, nsw rego

passed rego at shell servo first go but required vehicle identification check at dickson

off to dickson we go, i'd had one of these before takes about 5min, we go in 30min later still waiting

one of the supervisors comes in and question who inspected it said they never should have inspected it it is a highly midified vehicle the exhaust is to big, boost controllers are illegal, the bov is illegal but we will do a re-inspection free of charge.

fair enough than, thinking sh*t

failed on rear tyres borderline but chose to fail and rear seat not securely bolted (in prosess of doing stereo)

advised on all the rest (BOV ect.)

so then it got passed at dickson and also no more probs from RTA,

so yeah i guess it's luck of the draw

Edited by Slither