SAU Community

Are Gtr Lemons?

if you plan to buy one, just be very patient.

good things come to those who wait...

especially looking for a 32 gtr.

it has been my dream car ever since Gran Turismo hit the shelves.

there are shiteloads advertised in the 20K barrier, but most of them would be rough around the edges.

i say just wait and find one thats mint in everyway :ninja:

I dont agree with that at all... there is plenty of nice on's around the 20'000 mark but no one looks .......

From what i have seen 20000 is close to the same overhead price of getting your own imported after the burocracy, fluid's, rego, RWC and what ever pop's up so many go that way with out checking whats around then try to palm it at 20000 when there in to deep.

Hey All,

First post and im currently converting so go easy on me. :ninja:

First of all il start by saying great site and lots of helpful information. Im currently considering whether to buy a R32 GTR and have been searching the forums since i have joined trying to find out everything that can go wrong with them. In this process i have noticed that there are alot of members that see them as lemons and not the great car i have always thought they were. Alot of the critism seems to come from GTS members but i dont see the GTR guys jumping up to defend the GTR. I have always seen the GTR as a car i would one day like to own, however if i do purchase one, it will have to be a daily driver aswell. I have always been a holden man and hense been relying on v8s, but now my love for the r32 has been rekindled (Damn you Bathurst reruns i watched).

Anyways, bassically my question is this: Are GTRs (especially r32s) lemons or can they be used daily without headaches. Are the GTS guys jealous or do they have a point that most spend time on chassis stands then been driven?

Thanks.

Dan.

PS. How does the GTS-4 rate aswell as this might be another option. thanks again.

GTR's are fantastic cars as long as they are suitably cared for and looked after, much the same as any other car.

The problem is so many owners, particularly the younger ones, are so keen to own a 'GTR' they buy the cheapest example they can find, and as we all know you pay for what you get.

If you want a GTR, set yourself a realistic budget for a start, lay aside some spare cash for some preventative maintenance once you get it, (ie major service, timing belt, all fluids, water pump etc), then service it regularly with good quality oils and fluids and you shouldnt have a problem.

I have owned my R33 GTR for over 3.5 years and the car has been incredibly reliable and even in a heavily modified form it is a fantastic car to drive daily.

There is nothing wrong with the design and build quality of the GTR. But many have been badly modified and thrashed without proper maintainence. These are complex cars that demand very good and regular maintainence. Also old age is catching up with the R32 now.

Technical masterpiece...Damn right! Lemons...No, that infers a higher than average proportion of vehicle are inherrently faulty. However, there are a number of rough high milage imports about and they should be avoided at all cost.

Bang for your buck they are'nt that expensive. If you wanted the 0-60 time and E.T.'s that these cars generate you would be looking at some expensive wheels. Remember, when R32 GTR's were sold here they were around $80K when a 13b turbo rx-7 was half that (correct me if my memory is failng) but the service costs are the same if not higher if you are modding your R. Maintaining a 15yr old car in top condition is a commitment.

I was looking at another car a little while ago, something late model and i couldnt identify a ride that gave me the handling, power, reliability, and presence that my GMG GTR does for anywhere near the price. As a daily driver...no i just dont want to expose my R to the sub humans in peak hour traffic, but i could cause its still a Nissan afterall.

I dont agree with that at all... there is plenty of nice on's around the 20'000 mark but no one looks .......

From what i have seen 20000 is close to the same overhead price of getting your own imported after the burocracy, fluid's, rego, RWC and what ever pop's up so many go that way with out checking whats around then try to palm it at 20000 when there in to deep.

as i said, MOST, ok maybe a hand full, ive seen some shitters around thats all

Thanks alot all. I was always under the impresssion that these cars where good but began getting a little worried when i start seeing alot of threads about decommisioned ones. I think i will now start to organise the finance needed and start looking around for a clean example. Thankyou for all your input as it has been a big help.

In conclusion at GTR lemons? If you dont drive one, then maybe to you they are. For those who do drive them and maintain them correctly. Answer is NO. Just what i was after. :P

EDIT: BTW if someone wants to change the title to answer = no. That would be fine.

Edited by lxss

iv been looking closely at some r32 gtr's recently, iv only found 1 so far that i would be confident enough to put my money on the table for,frankly, most of them have had the crap thrashed out of them,

why do most people want a gtr? its not because they want to putt around town like a grandma. After 15 or so years of being revved out to 8grand likely on a very regular basis like i sed most gtr's iv seen have put a definate doubt in my mind as to how long the motors would last, although iv also seen this with a number of gts't's.

another problem is that the japs generally treat there cars like garbage, especially the cheaper ones,they just drive them and very rarely service them.iv seen this personally on so many gts't's its not funny. on the other hand i must say that being a gtr and being a bit more of an expensive and nice car it seems they do tend to look after them a little better.

this is just what i have observed for myself...

Mate i own a 33 GTS-T, and all i got to say is most gts-t owners would have bought a GTR if they could afford one, some like the rear wheel action but majority would of went the GTR. Don't get me wrong i love my car but why would anyone want the little brother to GODZILLA!!! It all comes down to cost, nothing more.

A lemon is a car that came from the factory as shit. All models with the GTR badge were never lemons, just some have aged better than others. My personal choice would be the R33 and once i have the money i would go get one. Jealousy... maybe some GTS-t owners are but is that them vs us thing and its all in the name of fun. There are some quick gtr's and gts-t's its all about how much money one has to spend on it.

As said earlier if you look after it it will serve you well.

Ohh and i also came from a commodore background, had a VY2 HSV clubby, even though it was quicker in a straight line the GTS-T handles and brakes so much better and with a few mods it will be quicker in everyway. Mate happy hunting.

lol Loving all the GTS owners comments in this thread .... How dare you pay out your bigger Faster sexier sister.... shame on the Lemon Rumor

Remember, when R32 GTR's were sold here they were around $80K

Just for reference, the RRP in 1991 was AU$110,000.

The last fifty (or so) cars were heavily discounted to encourage them to leave the dealership :)

For me, that puts DIY maintenance in a new perspective.

Yeah Mark, i know what you mean. I had a few of those moments when i had the dashboard out to repair the headlight switch or when i had to cut and splice wires on the attessa loom to install my Field ETC. You get one of those this is a $110,000 super car, what the f**k am i doing!!! LOL!!!! :) But in order to help afford one of these cars you gotta try and do some basic stuff yourself. Spark plugs, oil filter and oil change were first. Best ive done so far is the Field ETC, complete with Jap instructions!!!

Edited by mazgtr

No they aren't lemons. But when things go wrong the can go wrong big.

Gts-t guys most probably are jealous :rolleyes:.

Mine is sorta a daily driver and the only problems i have had is the clutch going in 3 weeks of getting it(definatley my fault) and the bushes are worn out. That hapens to all of cars over time.

I'm a gts-t owner who's not jelous, as my r33 is much lighter than a gtr, and makes more power at the wheels than a stock gtr. Grip is the difference you might say, but ten inch rear wheels help a great deal.