SAU Community

R34 / Gt25 Question

hi,

i have two questions relating to a 98 r34/gt25.

Firstly- what is the verdict on tip-tronic, ie performance in comparison to auto/manual.

Secondly- does any body know where to find out about throttle bodies, aka trumpet?

thanks. :(

tiptronics are pretty boring. my cars a tiptronic and its nothing like a manual. mind you my car does hold the gears and dznt shift up ever (even if your banging against the redline), however it does shift down if your going too slow, say at 7kms it would shift into 1st. personally i dont think japanese auto boxes are very good. my friend has an auto s15 and the gearbox is shithole

An n/a skyline is not a performance car. Get a SSS pulsar or some little hatch or maybe a n/a Supra for a bit of go.

are you suggesting a sss pulsar or n/a supra is any more a performance car than a n/a skyline??

either way, to reply to the initial post, i have a s2 stagea tiptronic (same engine and gearbox as r34 gtt) and stock the auto is what you'd expect from an auto. the gear changes are quite normal for an auto but I found that the 1st to 2nd change in mine was quite slow and at higher revs it took a while to actually find 2nd (ie. from start of the gearchange till actually hitting 2nd was sometimes longer than 1 second).

So I got a valve body upgrade (aka 'shift kit') fitted ~$440 including trans service, and its great now. still not comparable to a manual, but IMO the very best an auto can get. You do feel a slight clunk as it goes from 1st to 2nd but its hardly noticable and you dont notice the later gear changes at all. But put your foot to the floor and it will give the usual delay while the ecu figures out what gear you want, and then bang - you're in the gear and you're off - in a split second after that. To explain it another way, instead of riding on the torque converter for a bit between gears, you're actually in the gear immediately.

If you want manual performance, get a manual. But if you would prefer an auto (for whatever reason - i prefer autos because 80% of the time i'm driving to/from work in peak hour traffic) then get a shift kit. It will clunk a little on the 1st-2nd gear change though - so if you prefer a real smooth ride then leave it stock.

As for tiptronic - i rarely use it. Holding my foot flat makes it change gears at just over 6000rpm (could get maybe 600-700rpm more with tiptronic but it hits revlimiter so quick i find its easier not to). And the auto will learn your driving style so if you kickdown a lot, you will master it through the accelerator without needing to use the tiptronic shift. All a matter of preference and a feeling of control i guess. :P

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Latest Posts

• Slimline sub on the rear parcel shelf is doable. Pioneer TS-WX140DA is only 70mm high.   
    • People like Johnny Dose Bro might be laughing at my post because I accidentally added 100mm to my numbers. 350-355 is indeed the lower limit. 450 is off-road Skyline spec.
    • What is the "compromise" that you think will happen? Are you thinking that something will get damaged? The only things you have to be concerned about with spherical jointed suspension arms are; Arguments with the constabulary wrt their legality (they are likely to be illegal for road use without an engineering certificatation, and that may not be possible to obtain). A lot more NVH transmitted through to the passengers (which is hardly a concern for those with a preference for good handling, anyway). Greatly increased inspection and maintenance requirements (see above points, both).   It is extremely necessary to ask what car you are talking about. Your discussion on strut tops, for example, would be completely wrong for an R chassis, but be correct for an S chassis. R32s have specific problems that R33/4 do not have. Etc. I have hardened rubber bushes on upper rear control arms and traction rods. Adjustable length so as to be able to set both camber and bump steer. You cannot contemplate doing just the control arms and not the traction arms. And whatever bushing you have in one you should have in the other so that they have similar characteristics. Otherwise you can get increased oddness of behaviour as one bushing flexes and the other doesn't, changing the alignment between them. I have stock lower rear arms with urethane bushes. I may make changes here, these are are driven by the R32's geometry problems, so I won't discuss them here unless it proves necessary. I have spherical joints in the front caster rods. I have experienced absolutely no negatives and only positives from doing so. They are massively better than any other option. I have sphericals in the FUCAs, but this is driven largely by the (again) R32 specific problems with the motion of those arms. I just have to deal with the increased maintenance required. Given how much better the front end behaves with the sphericals in there.....I'd probably be tempted to go away from my preference (which is not to have sphericals on a road car, for 2 of the 3 reasons in the bulleted list above), just to gain those improvements. And so my preference for not using sphericals (in general) on a road car should be obvious. I use them judiciously, though, as required to solve particular problems.
    • Easiest way to know is to break out the multimeter and measure it when cold, then measure all the resistances again once it gets hot enough to misfire. Both the original ignitor and the J Replace version. Factory service manual will have the spec for the terminal measurements.
    • Yes that sounds right. Cars currently in the shop for the engine work. Will need to remeasure .. but yes I think I must be targeting 45cm from fender.