SAU Community

Motorkhana

Dale FZ1

Here's an event worth trying.

Organised by the Northern Districts Sporting Car Club (see www.ndscc.asn.au)

Date: Sunday 17 September 2006

Location: Skyring Creek Road, Federal (North of Cooroy, venue just near the Imbil turnoff from Bruce Highway).

Cost: $20 entry and need 3rd party insurance extension certificate. Level 2 Non speed CAMS license, but can get a day license to try the event out. Pay on the day.

Motorkhana is real entry level motorsport, focus on agility and car control. This event is run on a level grassy surface, so traction is not great and power less important than good control and consistency. Being a non-speed event, and also classified as a club event, no helmet required for closed roof cars, and passengers are allowed. The focus is on fun and participation at low cost. CAMS stewards will supervise, and vehicles scutineered for basic safety standards prior to the stages being run.

I ran in this event in April/May, 4 drivers in 2 Hyundais and had a ball. Plan on running the R33 this time just for kicks and mainly to improve my car control. Beats skidpan days. Anyone interested?

cheers

will probably take you around 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours to drive there... its just off the bruce highway, after it goes to single lanes (it's near the Pomona turnoff, also near the Kennilworth turnoff, if that gives you an idea of the general area)

these events are great...

usually what it is is a course set out with a heap of witches hats... you have to manoeuver around the hats... the person who can do it the quickest, wins....

sometimes they do things like cloverleaf (i.e. pic below), slaloms, etc....

NDSCC will be much more open courses than the typical motorkhana stuff like the pic above. More of a cross between a motorkhana and a khancross. a bit more speed and fun.

Use this tool for locality:

http://www.zoomin.com.au/australia/qld/fed...ing+creek+road/

Harry is on the money - focus is fun. There will be a variety of tests, but none run in reverse gear that I'm aware of. NDSCC has a core of rally people, and viewing the scenery through the side windows gets them excited.

Depending on who your insurer is, it may cost nothing. Suncorp charges nothing. My CTP insurer charges $10. It usually takes a phone call to set up the extension and they fax it to me. Easy.

You can get a day license to cover the event. Cost on that one is not great either; I will get some info.

Basically these are essentials, but easy to organise. The event is overviewed by CAMS, and that is how things work.

I've seen people previously come along for a look, then really wish they had made the arrangements prior so they could have competed.

I've had a few PM queries, so to answer most concerns or issues, will consolidate into a post:

It's a non-speed club event (as opposed to championship), so passengers ARE allowed. I would recommend only ONE passenger per run. The runs are short, and there will be probably 12-15 tests for the day. Plenty of opportunity for passengers to experience the fun.

You DO need the CTP extension paperwork when lodging entry. The insurer can fax it to you (assuming you have fax access) otherwise allow a few days for snail mail. They will need to know the event name, location and date.

Aussie Super Springs Motorkhana

Federal (via Cooroy)

17 September 2006

Event entry form and day license applications will be available there on the day. $20 entry, and I think (still haven't confirmed, sorry) the license would be about $20-30. I'm waiting to speak with the club treasurer on Sunday about that one. Anyway, turn up and fill out those documents, pay the fees (suggest cash, no card facility), present your CTP extension, and wait for the scrutineerining checks. It is a closed course, off road event, so don't even need a road drivers license. Junior competitors are welcome and encouraged.

Scrutineering consists of BASIC safety checks. Presence of functioning seat belts, general condition of car, removal of all loose items, and (this will be mandatory) secure anchoring of the battery, and good insulation of battery terminals in the unlikely event of a roll or crash. Main suggestion I have though, is to source some tyres you can trash/thrash for the day on the grass/dirt. Don't bring any super sticky road tyres, and run some good pressures to keep the tyre carcass rigid. I would say about 38-42psi would be about right. If you have some stock rims and old shitter tyres, then fit them. Also make sure your air filtration system is good - it can get dusty.

Do have a look at the club web page www.ndscc.asn.au for entry forms and supp regs. They are easily found.

Hope that answers most questions, and be good to see some Skylines (or their owners) there.

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Well the day was run and won by a VR4 Galant, second was a Eunos 30X. Traction and technique seems to be the key, and it's a real challenge to "read" the ground.

It was really a fun day, and the weather held out - but for a short sprinkle at mid-afternoon to keep the dust down.

I ended up running the Excel again (waiting for some wheels to arrive for the Skyline), and learned more about car control. Evidently there will be more events in the future, possibly with something run on a paved surface as well. This is really top-shelf fun at bargain basement cost, and is a great way to have a taste of motorsport. The only extra impost from running on grass is the cleaning/vacuuming to get rid of all the muck in/on your car.