SAU Community

Ok

can I get some specificaton of Rx7?

How do they compare to GTR?

I watched Best motoring and RX7 beat the high speed challenge doing 247.5kmph and R34 GTR only doing 230kmph some thing, at the Jap racing track... :D

also Price? Rx7, are they expensive? how much do they go for nowdays? I am talking about new shape.

cheers

Joe

i did a bit of research into this but more along the lines of RX7 vs. R34 GT-T.

Series 6 onwards is the shape u want. They have twin turbo rotary engines, in a sequential setup, so 1 small, 1 big, sorta thing. Go for about high 30's, low 40's locally, well that's what i've found. Importing has to be 1992 or earlier i think, cos Mazda sold them here locally.

Suppose to handle brilliantly but are more thirsty than a normal single turbo skyline. Plenty of go, bout 206kw i think, but only weighs about 1300kg. Brakes are supposed to pretty spot on too, same as the R32 GTR?? not sure bout that one.

Being a rotary engine i've heard they need to be looked after a little more, and i guess might be a bit harder to work on compared to a RB series engine. Maybe servicing/repairs is another issue.

anyways if u do a search for "r34 gt-t vs. rx7" or something like that, there was quite a bit of discussion about it.

cheers.

top speed is not the be all and end all u know... what happens when the Rx7 gets to the corner and the GTR?

4WD is always going to be better than 2

Before I brought my GTR I test drove a few 93 to 95 series 6 RX7's. The brakes are better on the RX7's even though they are the same calipers, but because of the RX7's lighter weight it stops better. Also lighter car to throw around than a GTR. However I never considered buying one cause all examples I found have been accident damaged.

Very interesting topic!

Similar to a Skyline vs Supra thread a few weeks back.

Let me add my input for this topic - I have been lucky enough to own and drive both a R32 GTR and RX7 S6 concurrently for about 1-1.5 years. Which car I decided to drive really depended on where I was going to drive and what I felt like doing.

To put it simply, if I was going to attack some twisties, I'd drive the RX7. If drag racing was on the agenda, then the GTR would be the go.

side point => If pulling chicks was the goal, the RX7 would definately be the go! :)

A stock RX7 will kill / slaughter / decimate a stock GTR around bends, but a stock GTR will kill / slaughter / decimate the RX7 where any sort of meaningful power is required to be put down.

The thing that people often misunderstand about rotaries is that they are anything but easy cars to drive around hard - you have to rev the nuts off them to get their peak power and torque, whereas in the GTR, its all in basically by 4-4.5K rpm. This is especially moreso in the S6-S8 with the 13B-REW engine (sequential turbos). You definately feel boost from the primary turbo by 2.5k rpm, and is pretty linear all the way to 8K rpm (when you get the factory shift chime wailing at you), but the real power dosent arrive until the secondary turbo comes on at 4.5K rpm.

Basically, the first of the sequential turbos is there to replace displacement, and not for any big power gains - 6-7.5k rpm is where GTR like power arrives - and if you are in the wet, or getting away off the line, be prepared for some big traction problems is all I can say! (fun though..)

Secondly, the power rating of the S6-S7 is less than that of the GTR. The S6 & S7 & non RS S8's all have the 185kw 13B-REW, while only the S8 RS & RZ (super rare) models have the 206Kw 13B-REW. The engines look exactly the same, but the 206kw version has different turbos to make the extra power.

The brakes on the S6-S8's are all the same. I think the S8 RS & RZ models have the RX7 SP brake system which has slightly bigger discs & calipers, and is superior to the normal versions. Given this, and a relatively lightweight chassis, makes the braking in RX7's positively awesome. It will outbrake a R32 GTR for sure - which is part of the reason why the RX7 is so good on the circuit. I cannot compare against the R33 brembo setup (havent owned or driven one - getting one within 2 weeks though :)) but I would guess it would be about the same.

My opinion may be exaggerated though as my RX7 was running pagid blue pads which where Friggin awesome, and the GTR were running some jap pads of unknown origin.

Chassis wise, the RX7 is very tight and very well balanced. Again these attributes make it so good out on the track with ONLY 206kw and lower torque than most other jap supercars. In my opinion the balance is much better than the R32 GTR, which is quite nose heavy compared to the RX7. Think of the RX7 as a big go kart when it comes to handling. The commentary in HPI with the comparo against the GTO says it the best - you judge the apex to the millimeter, I found it difficult in the GTR, with hicas & atessa doing funny shite all the time (but it could just be my shite driving).

As for top speed, I did 235km/hr one night in the RX7. My RX7 was completely stock, even down to the exhaust! It was a S6. In the GTR Im absolutely sure I cracked the double ton, but by how much I have no idea. The needle was past vertical (about 7 o'clock position), but im sure it could get over 230km/hr. It too was stock except for a cat back exh and 14psi boost.

Thirst wise (for fuel) I found the two cars pretty even. I would get about 430-450 kms from the RX7 (down to light) and about 430 kms out of the GTR (down to light). It depends greatly on your driving style though, and I'd probably get more kms out of the GTR if I was running stock boost. If you were to drive the RX7 hard, you can see the fuel needle coming down though....its a bitch on fuel if you are in the happy zone all the time (4.5-8k rpm).

Interior wise, the RX7 has one of the best and most classic ****pits in my opinion. Very very nice, with leather, sunroof, and quality bose sound system (std aussie models & option on jap S6-S8's). Nice shift quality from the 5 speeder, and shifter falls into hand easily. Absolute spot on guages, with big tacho right in the middle. Mine had chrome rings around the guages which I loved. you also sit very low and right above the rear diff basically, so sometimes the bumps can really be felt! Compared to the R32 GTR, the nissan feels like a maxima..not very sporty at all, but the GTR interior is functional, rather than sexy. I guess you guys know how the skyline interior is anyway, so i will stop ranting.

Cost: well, aussie S6's can be had for about 32k - 45k. These are the S6 and S7 models. You CANNOT import S6-S7 RX7's from japan no matter what people say (except under private 1 year o'seas ownership rule) no matter what year. Only 1999 onward S8's are eligible, and they go for about 50-65K landed complied etc (for RS model). The RS and RZ models would be the ones to go for. RZ S8's are super rare, as it is a special edition, only in pearl white. They always go for 2.5mil yen plus. S8 RS would be the ones to get. They have the 206kw engine, and bigger brakes and are more often than not fully optioned.

Maintenance: I found the little rotary to be reliable and breakdown free. I did about 15K kms in mine, had it serviced every 5000kms / 6 mths and running costs were the same as the GTR. If u want more power out of the RX7 though, this is where it is MANDATORY to have the engine rebuilt, and upgraded to a big single setup. The factory sequential turbos are rubbish above factory rated boost and power - they will give you nothing but trouble when pushed. You will need bigger apex seals, bigger intercooler (factory one is a plastic tanked P.O.S) fuel pumps/inj etc. You will have one animal of a car though after you are done. Local expertice is also abundant and plentiful (at least in Sydney).

To sum up, the RX7 is the quintessential drivers car. Rear drive, light, overbraked, without electronic assistance so abundant in the GTR. All I can say is driver beware when pushing really hard in this car, especially in the wet - you will need a new set of daks after a hard drive in the wet. The GTR is great for pottering around in camry style or driving really hard without posessing RX7 levels of driver skill - you have a big electronic saftey net in the form of atessa and hicas.

I guess it will come down to individual preference - but for me, there will be nothing quite like a dumped Gen 3 RX7 with a big exhaust to let out that sweet rotary wail. A classic, classy performer with both looks and performance to serve it up to bigger capacity cars.

To borrow a line from HSV: I just want one! (again.......)

Chris

:(

• 3 months later...

I certainly agreed with the comparison cos prior to my current ride (R32 GTR) I owned a RX7 FC3S with hell lots of mods. Dynoed in the region of 550 - 600 hp on 1.4/5 bar of boost but on 1 bar during daily drive. My little RX7 will eat my GTR anytime anyday be it handling or drag. My GTR was dynoed at close to 450 hp but probably becos of the weight so it feels kind of slow. But the GTR is able to give me a more relaxed drive cos no heavy mods yet I guess.

Juz my 2 cents!!!!

Originally posted by inark

top speed is not the be all and end all u know... what happens when the Rx7 gets to the corner and the GTR?

4WD is always going to be better than 2

errrrrrrrrrr.....maybe for the snow or loose dirt!!!

the rx7 is a faster cornering car than a bnr34, hands down. ie. it is the better handling car. you are confusing GRIP and HANDLING.

on another note, series6 rx7's arent no slouches going in straight lines either. all you need is some decent slicks.

Originally posted by franks

the rx7 is a faster cornering car than a bnr34, hands down. ie. it is the better handling car. you are confusing GRIP and HANDLING.

:werd:

Many people mistaken WRX's that they have "good handling" when it's grip they have. Atleast the early WRX's that I know of. :P

1999+ model RX7's (series 8) have just been passed for compliance recently - we can now start importing them again and prices have never been cheaper .. how about an immaculate 2000 model for under $40,000 landed and complied?

Originally posted by J-Spec Imports

1999+ model RX7's (series 8) have just been passed for compliance recently - we can now start importing them again and prices have never been cheaper .. how about an immaculate 2000 model for under $40,000 landed and complied?

what, what WHAT??? Immac 1999 under $40K ... that's gold!!!!! So compliance isn't like 7-8 g's anymore???

man, that's certainly rethinking the GT-T route...

thanks for the update!!

super sex cars.... :drooling:

rx-7's actually have one of the fastest 0-100 times for a jap RWD car... 5.9sec, not to mention they also have perfect weight balance on all four wheels making them handle lithey are on rails. They would give a GTR a very hard time indeed. Only loses on the 1/4 in sdtock trim by about a car length due to its gearing making it better for accellaration. Also wise idea not to by anything 93 or less as they had a gearbox problem and overall bugs from their release. Best was the 94 as they went to extra length to stamp out the problems and added extras to gain public interest after the problems.

yay, my favourite thread.

posted the following on PF a while ago, but I'll repost it here as a point of reference:

FWIW, just checked out an old bestmotoring vid (may 96) from my collection - it's a comparison of JDM cars of 95 (a big update year).

For those who keep saying X car is better than Y car - this shows just how bloody close these cars are (at least stock vs stock - and these cars were all 100% stock).

Anyway, scribbled down some notes -

* RX7 RS - 1280kg - 265ps. (4.83kg/ps). Standard sports model. RWD.

* RX7 RZ - 1250kg (recaro racing seats, no rear seats) - 265ps. (4.72kg/ps). Top line car (but only mildly upgraded). RWD.

* Supra RZ-S - 1490kg - 280ps. (5.32kg/ps). RWD.

* GTO MR (3000GT) - 1610kg - 280ps. (6.6kg/ps). 4WD.

* NSX-R - 1230kg - 280ps. (4.39kg/ps). RWD.

* NSX - 1350kg - 280ps. (4.82kg/ps). RWD.

* R33 GTR V-spec - 1530kg - 280ps. (5.5kg/ps). Atessa 4WD.

- 0-400m -

* R33 GTR V-spec: 12.978 (used a couple of times in the comparison - other times: 13.06/13.31/13.01)

* NSX-R: 13.276

* RX7 RZ: 13.386

* GTO MR: 13.395

* RX7 RS: 13.566

* NSX: 13.636

* Supra RZ-S: 13.982

- Autokhana -

hairpin/chicane section:

* NSX-R: 9.96sec

* RX7 RZ: 10.01sec

* R33 GTR V-spec: 10.14sec

* NSX: 10.28sec

* RX7 RS: 10.30sec

* Supra RZ-S: 10.33sec

* GTO MR: 10.50sec

laptimes:

* R33 GTR V-spec: 36.25sec

* RX7 RZ: 36.28sec

* NSX-R: 36.33sec

* NSX: 37.14sec

* RX7 RS: 37.30sec

* GTO MR: 37.33sec

* Supra RZ-S: 37.58sec

(note: the following two are fairly meaningless without the full description, but is a ranking of sorts)

handling rating (out of 10)

* R33 GTR V-spec: 9.2

* NSX-R: 9.5

* RX7 RS: 9.0

* RX7 RZ: 8.8

* Supra RZ-S: 8.5

* NSX: 7.8

* GTO MR: 7.0

engine/transmission rating (out of 10)

* NSX-R: 10

* RX7 RZ: 9.2

* NSX: 9.2

* R33 GTR V-spec: 9.0

* RX7 RS: 8.8

* GTO MR: 8.8

* Supra RZ-S: 8.5

- Tsukuba Circuit Race -

(5 laps)

(note: the grid was set with a handicap penalty - but I'm not sure what that was based on)

Grid:

1: Supra RZ-S/RX7 RS

2: RX7 RZ/GTO MR

3: NSX/R33 GTR V-spec

4. NSX-R

Finishing Order:

1. NSX-R

2. RX7 RZ

3. R33 GTR V-spec

4. GTO MR

5. Supra RZ-S

6. NSX