SAU Community

Big Turbo Post

RB SANDY

All those earlier ones that pump water or whatever...i reckon they still qualify.

Just cause the pump water instead of air doesn't mean the aint turbines.

Turbos are just small turbines anyway.

that being said....i wanna find a pic of the one on a diesel powered cruise ship!

dude they are different, a turbo is a centrifugal compressor (ie increases the pressure of a compressible fluid - a gas) and is powered by exhaust gases to improve the power/efficiency of an internal combustion engine

sure the compressor side looks similar to centrifugal pumps but a pump can be powered by anything and pump just about any fluid - a silly comparison - one is helping the propulsion of a vehicle like car or mentioned cruise ship and the other sits there pumping fluid through pipes on a chemical or hydro plant

but yeh bring on the cruise ship turbos >_<

I wonder what K&N would charge for a pod filter for one of those bad boys, if they actually were turbo's.

An engine that size wouldnt exactly be spinning at enogh revs to spool a turbo, id think...

Well this T88-34D is pretty big, and its on the floor of my room... not hanging off a power station... pumping water...

haha and for $2500 it could be on the floor of YOUR room!!

Whats with the rest of the ebay stuff >_<

Downfall ++

I could post turbo pics until the cows came home :wub:

sure the compressor side looks similar to centrifugal pumps but a pump can be powered by anything and pump just about any fluid - a silly comparison - one is helping the propulsion of a vehicle like car or mentioned cruise ship and the other sits there pumping fluid through pipes on a chemical or hydro plant

I guess we could discuss the theories of this till the cows come home and maybe should start a new thread but I still say the are the same, well the basics anyway.

BUT, saying one is used to propel a car and the other pumps water isn't a fair comparison.

One pumps air, one pumps water is more like it and in that case i say 'the same'

I'm only thinking of one side of the 'car' turbo at a time mind you. Not as 1 powering the other.

...besides, if you had just the compressor side of the turbo removed and somehow powered up and water feed into it, i bet it would pump water for as long as it was powered. Maybe not very well but it would.

Get Sydney Kid to try it! HAHA ! >_<

Really, the big ones are really just the impellor side of a turbo. The water takes the place of exhaust fumes, and the generator that it spins to make electricity takes the place of the compressor side.

Still, turbines, not turbos.

Ok then, lets make it... post turbos that you OWN... haha

• 2 weeks later...

turbobbchev1.jpg

Psycho01.jpg

farkin%20big%20turbos.jpg

This would have to be one of the largest I've seen fitted to a car, particularly one without a lot of cubes to push it:

supra1.jpg

supra2.jpg

And, for intricate pipework:

diablott.jpg

The turbo on the right is mine

Nice :P