SAU Community

Conflicting Info On Greddy T517z Turbos

Sayajin

Hey guys. I am in the process now of deciding between three different turbo options. The 2530's which everyone uses, the HKS RS turbos, and the Greddy T517Z's w/ .8cm housing.

After doing much research and deliberation I had decided on the T517Z's for a few reasons. While I realize they are oil cooled and not water cooled, with a proper oil cooling setup, you should not have any issues with them. Also not being ball bearing you eliminate turbo shuffle, can maintain the low mount manifold, and have a bit more power than the 2530s. Anyway, my goal is 600WHP or 448KW, whichever measurement you use.

When reading up on the UK boards about the Greddy T517Z's the guys over there are making an EASY 600+WHP with the proper supporting mods. However reading the AU boards I see guys struggling to get into the 530+ WHP range. I am just trying to figure out why the discrepancy? I mean they are the same turbos, so why the drastic difference. Also let me say I am not talking about 1 or 2 guys, I mean the majority of the people using the Greddy T517Z's. Hell in the UK they look at these things like they are the truth, superior to the HKS 2530s.

I am just trying to find out what the real deal is before I invest in a turbo setup that will not get me to my goals. Any information you guys can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thx.

-Sayajin

There are 2 different sized T517z's on the market(10cm2 and a 8cm2)...maybe thats why the power difference in the articles you saw...i had the smaller of the two on my previous GTR and it made a easy 340awkw @ only 15psi and was a torque monster...it had amazing mid range torque and great low boost qualities

I was looking at buying an R34 with these turbos fitted, and when out on a test drive in it the thing hauled absolute ass. It was making a little over 300kw at all four wheels on very low boost, but the amount of torque it had was phenomenal. It felt a lot quicker with more low and mid range punch than my R32 which has 2530's and making ~340kw at the time.

As for the power differences, I cant really explain. Maybe more of them are using the 10cm2 versions as opposed to the 8's.

Edited by Amaru

Id really be checking up that they are talking WHP... I know a lot of britts n yanks use BHP which would be WHP minus 12ish% due to the usual losses... which would bring a 600BHP car to somewhere around the quoted 540WHP... dont get the two confused. (if thats a really obvious thing to you I apologize if it makes you sound silly)

Also I would definitely be checking up on those trim sizes.

2530s do not need aftermarket manifolds. they can use stock ones too. i'm not sure what relationship bearing type has with turbo shufle either. that is usualy a result of turbos being able to flow more air than the engine can injest and certain rpm points/throttle openings etc.