SAU Community

Transfer Of Registration And Ownership To Sa

Hella Flush

hey guys

looking at a car in qld... its stock so no mods... complianced and rego over there...

want to buy it and bring it back here... however so many myths go on about transferring it into SA rego and into my name... trips to regency blah blah

can anyone give a straight deffinate answer?

I did this 18 months ago. (Qld to SA)

Just take it down to Sturt St? Inspection station for a Vin check, then drop the papers and Qld plates off at your local motor reg office and collect your new plates and a rego sticker.

Sturt St Inspection station are much better than regency, just make sure obvious defects are removed (tyres etc) but if its stock you shouldnt have too many problems there.

I did this 18 months ago. (Qld to SA)

Just take it down to Sturt St? Inspection station for a Vin check, then drop the papers and Qld plates off at your local motor reg office and collect your new plates and a rego sticker.

Sturt St Inspection station are much better than regency, just make sure obvious defects are removed (tyres etc) but if its stock you shouldnt have too many problems there.

It depends where you live. I tried to do the sturt st inspection as everyone said it was easier to get through there, but they told me due to where i live it had to go to regency park. This is no biggy tho! it doesnt go to the "pits" for a simple state rego change. They have a new warehouse building you just roll your car through, they do engine number and VIN checks to make sure nothings stolen and everything checks out. Obviously you cant roll through there with a big highmount, but if the car is stock you will have no problems whatsoever.

I took my perth registered GTR through there with Z32 AFM's, HKS turbo's, and Power FC. All i did was bolt a stock exhaust on and it was stock height. They checked the numbers, had a quick look at the tyres and that was it. All they looked at inside was the odometer. None of this kickpanel off business you get through the pits.

You'll have no problems at all, the whole process took maybe an hour, most of which was waiting for my turn, then you take the papers they give you to the office next to the pits and get your new plates. The car inspection took all of 5 minutes, then another 5mins as he went to run the numbers.

the other way to do it, is if you can get it regoed in your name in qld (use a relatives address etc) then all you have to do is take your qld rego papers with your name in to transport office anywhere and they transfer it straight over, thats how i got my car done when i moved here, because it was already regoed in my name and still had current rego they just transfer it across didnt even need to see the car. But since yours has no mods then i wouldnt worry bout it...

Edited by sinistagtst

Just did it yesterday myself. All you do is go into the transport office, fill in the paper work and bam, that's it. That is providing the car is in your name so you don't have to go over the pits or anything >_<