SAU Community

is this a load of bull?

rb26dett

hey guys, i came across this website that says drifting is the fastest way through a corner, as opposed to proper entry, apex and exit. i think it's all a load of bull, cept for the drift techniques, which he probably ripped off from some other website. he also says heel and toe is not for corner entry, rather it is used IN the corner to hold the line and for exit speed.

have a read and tell me what u think.

www.geocities.com/go2iddrift

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I often wondered how the speed would compare around a small windy track.

Even though i have been told countless times its way slower to drift.

I seen some D1 cars pull 100 - 200 k's around corners on vids. Gotta wonder how a simlur car would go turning the bend.

But then if it was fast, they would race cars, rather than judge them.

Sorry, its crap. Drift is only spectacular, not fast.

A fast lap might have a *small* amount of under or oversteer, but not full on sideways. You do certainly use different techniques (trail brake, left foot brake, lift off, throttle etc) to alter the attitude of the car between the two, but the aim is to retain maximum grip, not to slide.

Only possible example where sliding is faster is in motorkhana, in very tight 1st & 2nd gear turns where flicking the tail round can help.

Obviously a different story on dirt/snow etc, where you'd have to go so damn slow to keep traction that its quicker to slide

Some classic quotes from that site:

"a good opponent that is using the drifting style will enter a corner at a much higher speed"

sure, but the whole point is that they'll leave the corner so much slower that on average they'll be slower. Corner entry speed makes little difference to lap times, its about mid corner speed, and most of all exit speed (since the additional speed is carried along the next straight).

"You cannot drift in a skyline, it produces too much torque and is virtually impossible to handle if you throw it into a drift, so unless you want to spin out and die, use the grip driving technique. "

I guess the author hasn't seen that lunatic fatz...and of course torque helps you spin the wheels.

"Jump Drift

In this technique the rear tire on the inside of a turn or apex is bounced over a curb to lose traction resulting in over steer. "

This description is 100% wrong. Its a handy technique in front driver car, you can hook the front tyre over the far side of the kerb to reduce/stop understeer. Won't create oversteer though.

But this is the scarey one, from his description of heel/toeing:

"While exiting the corner you will come out at a much faster rate because you have raised the RPM which slowly drops while going around the corner when you are not stepping on the gas."

He's suggesting that heel/toeing lets you keep revs up in the same gear you started with. In fact, it is simply to get the correct revs for a lower gear when you downshift. This means that the change down is smooth, minimising the chance of loosing traction due to locked driving wheels.

exactly my thoughts. i was thinking heel toe was for entry to stop the car from jerking due to the downshifts. i was wondering how he was gonna control his car with the clutch in...seems like if someone tries out these techniques they might write off their car.

and all this time I thought the slow in fast out was the go...

think i'll put sprintcar wings on the M spec for Targa and back it in... better still forward this to Glenney Whitey Garwood Richards and Co.... that way us mortals wont look so slow

Later

I remember the Kart technique...some kid once said

"just dive on the brakes as late as possible and flick the bastard as quick as you can and gas her up. Aim for the ripple strips, hit them at the apex and gun it." Man karts ruled.... KT100J's ruled....

Son of Sydneykid

Guest DrDrift

Heel and toe is used when entering corners, dropping to lower gear so that the engine revv of the lower gear can match the higher speed of the wheel and this can prevent rear wheel lock up. Shift lock is the exact opposite, shocking the gears so that the revv cannot match with speed resulting in rear wheel lock up...just another way to go sidewaysssss.

Hey im kidna new here and dont realy know much bout racing a car round a drift track isnt drifting corner's faster then brakeing and and lining up the corner and all Plus i think the guy is talknig about jap drifting tracks that are flowing that would allow higher speed while drifting???

But that's my opinion (spelling????)

If drifting is faster then F1 driver will be going sideways. From what I think, drifting is good in a race if you wanna take different line through the corners and these lines are not the fastest. In most bends or corners, the quickest way to get through them is not the shortest possible line, it should be the straightest line where you can bring speed through it.

Drift entry can be fast but not exit and drifting is not about racing and who comes in first.

What- you're saying that f1 cars can't stand to rev? Last I heard the BMW was turning 19000 rpm so yeah I guess so....... If drift was quick then they would set f1 cars v8 supercars indycars etc up to drift. These guys know how to go fast and it aint drift . AS butters says if it was fast they would race and not judge them for style. Let's face it, it's a Japanese invention, and while they can build cars they ain't so good at pedalling them. (who was the last Japanese world champ in any 4 wheelled motorsport ?) (they CAN ride bikes though)

rb26dett, Just been to that site it's pretty interesting. Have a look at the Wayne Gardner interview. He recons he reached the top in Australian touring cars quickly but found the standard of driving too low not challenging enough! Did he even finish a race? Must have missed it.