SAU Community

Clutch Fan Replacement

CeJay

Have a few question, I have an rb25 in my r32, would like to know if I can replace it with an rb20 clutch fan? Current one has some cracks in it. Had a serach for this but couldn't find anything.

is it just the fan you are after, or the motor and all?

if it is just the fan, it is only 4 bolts. and i'm pretty sure the rb20 and 25 use the same fan, but not 100%sure on that.

Just the fan, reason being, saw an rb20 one on ebay, wanted to see if it was an option.

I cracked mine in my r33 and the replacement part was $250 as you couldn't buy just the fan, you had to buy the motor aswell... so as it wasn't going anywhere, I left it.

But having said that, I sold the one off my SR20 for $30, so no doubt you'll be able to pick one up on the forums second hand.

It's also just a case of taking out the radiator and undoing the 4 bolts on the fan and it just slides off.

Cheers

Liz.

motor?

do u mean the fan clutch?

or the fan blades?

blades are interchangeable, and some say the rb25 one is better.

the cutches are swappable too. I bought a craig davies new one from sprints for $130, put my fan on it and bolted it in,

Edited by Bl4cK32

pretty sure the fan on my rb25 is a rb20 one.

It will fit, but the rb25 has more blades, and seems flows a lot more air (I tested this once when I had my rb20 - you can tell by putting your hand in front of both to compare).. so a fair bit better.

I reckon you'd be better off with a 3rd party one if it does the trick.

• 3 weeks later...

sorry to bring up a old thread but

i've found my clutch fan seems to be on the way out? its making a slight screeching sound.. would replacing the clutch fan with another one solve this issue?

does anyone have a guide as to how to replace the clutch fan?

With the engine running drip some water onto the belts. If the noise goes away its the belts. Without the clutch locked up try spining the fan to see if it makes any noise. Clutch will lock up when its hot enough. More than likely a squeaking belt.

Deren

• 2 weeks later...

i read somewhere on these forums recently how to test if your clutch is buggered but cant find it now..

if you spin the fan by hand when the car is cold it should normally only spin freely for a half turn or something to that effect...

can anyone confirm or correct me please?

cheers

i read somewhere on these forums recently how to test if your clutch is buggered but cant find it now..

if you spin the fan by hand when the car is cold it should normally only spin freely for a half turn or something to that effect...

can anyone confirm or correct me please?

cheers

Edited by 95SKY