SAU Community

The Real Fix For Dodgy Coils (misfire At High Rpm)

SECURITY

my addvice is to dump the factory coils for a set of vn/vp or mitsubishi ones

i fitted a set of vp coils to an rb30 about a week ago and it was running fine till the fuel pump packed up

and today a fitted a set of Mitsubishi Diamante v6 coils to my rb20 and it ran mint started much quicker and ran smoother more tourque and it runs the same gapped sparks as the rb coils

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my addvice is to dump the factory coils for a set of vn/vp or mitsubishi ones

i fitted a set of vp coils to an rb30 about a week ago and it was running fine till the fuel pump packed up

and today a fitted a set of Mitsubishi Diamante v6 coils to my rb20 and it ran mint started much quicker and ran smoother more tourque and it runs the same gapped sparks as the rb coils

What sort of power/boost are you making on these after market coils?

If its near stock or still stock turbo on measly 15psi boost then we can't tell if it will work once the combustion pressures are considerably higher.

+ the non-stock look. For $520 delivered splitfires are the way to go.

What sort of power/boost are you making on these after market coils?

If its near stock or still stock turbo on measly 15psi boost then we can't tell if it will work once the combustion pressures are considerably higher.

+ the non-stock look. For $520 delivered splitfires are the way to go.

where abouts can u get em for $520? Autobarn almost called the medics when they told me a new set of spitfires would cost over $1500 (cause i wasn't expecting more than $500~$600).

i got the exact same problem as you guys. gotta get this fixed up soon :)

$520.

Buy from Nengun (~2-3week wait), Perfectrun (~7day wait). (Japan)

You'd have to be silly to buy from auto barn and the likes. If you must buy a set in Aus grab a set from Slide. He sells them for $589 + postage.

has anyone tried my fix at all?

i just bought myself some sandpaper whilst getting new spark plugs. there cleaned and all, just havent started the car. btw my coils are silver and it doesnt come up copper like yours..whats the go there? coilpacks themselves have already been sealed with that silicon 401 i did a while back as well. so will get back with results tomorrow.

i just bought myself some sandpaper whilst getting new spark plugs. there cleaned and all, just havent started the car. btw my coils are silver and it doesnt come up copper like yours..whats the go there? coilpacks themselves have already been sealed with that silicon 401 i did a while back as well. so will get back with results tomorrow.

no idea on why theyre different. could be a series 1.5 or 2 thing.

if yours is neither then i wouldnt have a clue mate :)

• 1 month later...
I have r33 GTS4 NON-TURBO and got a misfire as well, what should be the spark plug gap for my one? is it still 0.8mm?

ive got no idea about the n/a's mate. do a search in naturally aspirated performance.

Pulled my coils out and they look brand new but i still have a miss!

your plugs look pretty shagged mate. close your gap to .8 and throw some new ones in.

• 1 month later...
does the rubber boot connecting to spark plug just pull off?

i had the missing problem 2 at 4500rpm and did the whole tape em up trick and u beauty, not a problem!

in the last couple of weeks, since we have had this hot weather, one coil seems 2 be playing up when the car is at peak operating temp

u will be driving, and all of a sudden it feels it drops a cylinder

u put ur foot flat 2 the floor and it clears it self up, and then when at normal revs u can hear the miss again

by looking at the coil there are a few hairline cracks but ive already taped them and still doin it when at normal operating temp?? any1 had this drama??