SAU Community

Hi Flow Turbo Without Aftermarket Ecu?

tuitahi

I currently have a RB25/VG30 Hybrid GCG Hiflow Turbo sitting on my desk to go on my R33 gtst. (Been sitting there for 6 months now :laugh: )

I have a dilemna...

I cant afford to buy an ECU and injectors for quite a while it seems, and I'm wanting to do a whole lot more trackdays. I'd like to put the turbo on so I don't blow the ceramic stocker (1. so I can still drive it and 2. so I can sell it as a working turbo)

I will eventually get the ECU and injectors, but in the meantime...

Can I do it?

I know its not the ideal solution, but?

How/can I run less than stock boost? Will I need to?

What will I ned to run the turbo, I was thinking of the following;

Tomei/Nismo Adjustable FPR

HKS Adjustable Actuator (GCG has 10psi R32 on it, maybe I should use the 7psi stocker)

Currently I have;

Rechipped ECU (By Toshi, more agressive timing and richer I think... and no speed cut) Pretty similar to Jap chipped ones I guess.

TBE

ARC SMIC

Splitfires

Bosch 044 pump

Will be adding an oil cooler shortly also.

Feedback???? Please

Seems to me if you flow the same amount of air through the donk it'll use the same amount of juice and run ok on the existing ECU. So I reckon you'd be ok as long as you don't up the boost over what you're currently running. Mind you I'm not an expert.

^^ Thats my thinking also, I just don't know how much more air the turbo is gonna flow at the stock psi. Wanna know if someone else has done it and their results, surely some of the auto guys have done this without an safc or the like?

^^^ How much more air CAN it flow at stock psi? Think about it. If the manifold pressure is the same the amount of oxygen in the manifold will be the same,as long as there's no change in temperature. If the temperature drops due to the new turbo being more efficient then yes there will be an increase in charge density. I think you should call GCG on Monday. Surely they could give you an answer.

MAte you shouldn't have a problem

I have the GCG Hiflow with my stock ecu and its running fine.. the only thing is if i run more than 10 PSI i think it's either hitting boost cut or R&R, but your car will run fine otherwise.

Also with the hiflow i found my car revs much smoother.

I was in the same boat as you.. couldn't afford PFC and tune yet so but had time off work to remove old turbo and put in GCG hiflow and was conerned about the sma ething.. but mine runs fine and better than before except hitting R&R high in the rev range when i gun it.. but i'm sure you can take it easy until you get your PFC i drive my car to work everyday.. no problems

Yeah, I'll definately get it on a dyno straight away to make sure the a/f ratios are safe. Not really fussed about the power, just need it to be safe.

My main concern was the turbo flowing too much and maxing the injectors. I guess I can only give it a go.

you will be running extremely rich and will definately need some sort of tunable management... maybe Toshi can remap it again to allow for the increased airflow? you won't have to worry about R&R as Toshi would have removed it? and as long as your not making over about 220rwkw (give or take) you should be fine with fuel supply... not sure how the SMIC will hold up with that power out on the track but you will see hey!

how come your getting the oil cooler? I did about 12 flying laps last weekend and didn't have any problems with oil temp... have you had some overheating at the track?

re the oil cooler, no overheating as yet... just being cautious. A little peace of mind I guess. (Ironic I know as I'm gonna try and run the hi-flow without an ecu, will check the ratios though)

The SMIC is pretty beefy, supposed to be good for 240rwkw or so.

Toshi said the tune should be good for 1 bar, not that the stocker would do much at that pressure, but I'm guessing the stock turbo would flow alot less than the gcg at 10psi.

My mate put a highflow on his NEO with stock ecu. Runs 10 psi without a hint of a problem.

It will flow more air at the same boost but I think what you have will allow for it.

Put it on. Take it to a dyno and wind boost into it until it stops being happy. That's not a slap dash approach, it's really what you should do.

I would suggest a 2nd hand AVC-R will help more than a FPR because you can monitor your injector duty cycle and increase the boost in a controlled manner.

Maybe a rising rate reg with a higher ratio if you can find the cash. This way you wont make it run like a rich arse pig off boost.