SAU Community

Turbo Making Weirrrrdd Noises...

rami

hey guys.. heres the scenario.. last night i was taking my car to my mates carwash (i know it was raining) driving normally... when all of a sudden after i gave it a lil squirt.. i hear my turbo whining its tits off!.. its still boosting normal.. it just makes a real high pitched screech.. everything is still running the same my turbo isnt downboosting or anything like that. what would it be?

cheers

rami

hey guys.. heres the scenario.. last night i was taking my car to my mates carwash (i know it was raining) driving normally... when all of a sudden after i gave it a lil squirt.. i hear my turbo whining its tits off!.. its still boosting normal.. it just makes a real high pitched screech.. everything is still running the same my turbo isnt downboosting or anything like that. what would it be?

cheers

rami

Probably exhaust manifold Gasket.

I had a very similar problem recently where my turbo was making a really high pitched squeel whenever it got above 11psi, I checked the bolts holding it to the manifold and I could literally undo them with my fingers! Did them up nice and tight and now the noise has gone away completely so check your bolts and gaskets first :)

thanks for all the replies... i am running stock boost.. and once i put my foot down the noise goes n comes.. but as it is building boost it makes a bit of noise.. AND this only happens when the cars fully warmed up....

my computers been stuffed and ive had no time to take it to a mechanic.. hope its nothing major.. ;) i doubt it would be the turbo manifold with a hole.. i replaced it not long ago.. maybe the exhaust manifold?

Its probably your gasket between the turbo and the exhaust, I had the same problem. i thought it was my turbo so I went and bought a stock turbo. I found out that my old turbo was ok but the gasket was worn out and the turbo housing had cracks.. :(

I am getting a high pitched whirring noise near max boost (10psi) as well.. was thinking about posting a question about it so this saved me i guess. I guess I'll be checking the turbo - manifold gasket and maybe its worth researching a new turbo at the same time.

Does anyone have some rough prices for some of the various turbos for an R33 GTST? GT-RS, GT2530 etc?

just thought it'd save me some time. I'd be looking for something of similar size to the standard one.. the less lag the better. I may just even get a standard one I'm not looking for max power figures.

Any info greatly appreciated

Cheers