SAU Community

Rb26 Gt-ss Turbos - When Should Boost Kick In?

Duty setting? For the life of me i cant see how ppl get it SO wrong as to affect the response of the motor like experienced here. Im not saying anyone is right or wrong, just pointing out that its very surprising that its the settting of the EBC. Without even knowing what i was doing i got my AVCR almost spot on. After reading the manual i was able to get it spot on...and have since helped a few friends out with getting theirs to work top notch. They were all singles though so that could be the reason????

Interesting :P

quite easy to get incorrect setting...the car i fiddled with at the dyno day only had to have duty adjusted by 5 or so i.e. from 55 to say 60. Id say in Justins case it was a little more than this. Roy sometimes people don't do the simple things right....reading the instructions, finding out and understanding how a product actually operates goes by the wayside.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK we found the boost controller unable to keep up with the rpm's, something like that. It also had a hard time holding consistent boost.

Re-checked cam timing. All good.

We've ripped out the AVCR and put in a Blitz boost controller. Will be more testing and tuning tomorrow and will report back!

good stuff. the blitz controllers are very good. but I still have a soft spot for the profec BII. check out my boost curve on page 4... they really are good value for $$.

can't wait to hear the results. :(

edit: now you can sell the AVCR to Roy. He loves em.

well they only go up to EVC 4, but for some reason americans call them EVC5. (nfi why). "Blitz" runs one in his built and tuned 33 GTR and it seems to be pretty good. It's pretty well accepted that the Blitz SBC ID III is #1 with HKS EVC IV a close second, or in some peoples eyes it's the other way around with the EVC IV on top.

but I would try and 100% establish what your problem is before running out to buy another EBC.

OK EVERYONE HERE'S THE UPDATE!!!

Took the car to HITMAN (Matt) today. Super cool guy! First thing he did was just a dyno run and guess what? We got 321kw at the wheels with Indy's tune.

OK, hitman's dyno is a 2WD dyno, Indy's (IS Motor Racing) is a 4WD. It looks like there's the reasoning behind the power figure difference.

After a lot of playing around with the cam timing we brought the power down to 293kw at the rear wheels but the power is coming on a whole lot earlier. Lots of mid now, a lot more like BeerBarron's dynograph, also with a very very stable boost line too.

I took the car straight to Indy's dyno again after hitman, same day and we dyno ran a 266kw at all fours! So that 293 on hitmans is 266 on Indy's.

So, go figure? Car feels damn amazing now though, so much response WHOO HOO!

I don't care too much for the power up top, but I'm loving all this power in the mid range. Perfect.

OK EVERYONE HERE'S THE UPDATE!!!

Took the car to HITMAN (Matt) today. Super cool guy! First thing he did was just a dyno run and guess what? We got 321kw at the wheels with Indy's tune.

OK, hitman's dyno is a 2WD dyno, Indy's (IS Motor Racing) is a 4WD. It looks like there's the reasoning behind the power figure difference.

After a lot of playing around with the cam timing we brought the power down to 293kw at the rear wheels but the power is coming on a whole lot earlier. Lots of mid now, a lot more like BeerBarron's dynograph, also with a very very stable boost line too.

I took the car straight to Indy's dyno again after hitman, same day and we dyno ran a 266kw at all fours! So that 293 on hitmans is 266 on Indy's.

So, go figure? Car feels damn amazing now though, so much response WHOO HOO!

I don't care too much for the power up top, but I'm loving all this power in the mid range. Perfect.

So to you have 2 main problems at the end of the day

1/cam timing

2/boost controller

is this correct?

The dyno figures make sence as one is 4wd and one 2wd and you will always have more losses on the 4wd dyno (if you run it in 4wd that is)

Can i ask what the cam setting were and where you moved them to as i have been pushing guys to tune cam on the dyno for a number of year as you can really unlock some real power doing so and i think you have done the right thing in tuning for mid range as it make it a nice car to drive and alot of fun

Great work enjoy

pete

Hey Pete,

I ain't sure of the cam timing values. I'm not that technically minded!!! But yes it was all the cam timing. I don't think it was the boost controller at all as hitman says he likes AVCR's.

I've ripped mine out though so will be selling it asap.

Hey Pete,

I ain't sure of the cam timing values. I'm not that technically minded!!! But yes it was all the cam timing. I don't think it was the boost controller at all as hitman says he likes AVCR's.

I've ripped mine out though so will be selling it asap.

oh ok well let me know what you want for it as need one for my second project (drift car)

Glad you found the problem and i thought in my first post it was cam timing as it has a hugh influence on the motor characteristics.

pete

Feels a bit scary now in all honesty. Will wait for a track day, got done for 3 points today in the EVO. Damn it. Time to slow down and see the year out :laugh:

Less talk, more GRAPH!!! :)

bummer about the points loss. definately need to watch it over the christmas break as they will all be out clocking up overtime and need the fine revenue to justify it.

• 1 month later...
Will not be posting the graph in a hurry dude. It's in my car which is in a workshop getting some trust rear pods painted and fitted >_<

Wondering if you had a chance to get that dyno graph mate, interested to see the power curve you got there

Here you go:

dyno2.jpg

dyno1.jpg

Amazing difference, it's a whole new car. Amazing at Eastern Creek last week. I did a 1.54 without even trying and that was in traffic too. Very happy with the power now and amoutn of mid range, just needs suspension tuning now as my brakes are going on too! SO MUCH POTENTIAL!!!

Awesome result Justin! I think youve just confirmed which turbos i'll be looking at in the near future, comes on early and yet has 250kw + from 130 to 200 kmh. Thats alot of area under the curve = fast car :D

What brakes are puting on by the way (just curious)?