SAU Community

Sliding Performance Hiflow Picks And Installationon Rb20det

CEF11E

Ok.

The turbo is now in and running. Getting the stock turbo off took me 50min and was an easy task. When looking at the oil feed line I decided it was best left to a hose doctor So off to pirtek and I had this made up.

100_1185.jpg

100_1184.jpg

Speedflow fittings and braided stainless was used and all up coost less than $80. The internal diameter of the line and fittings are 6mm! perfect ;) Also had to drill out the restrictor in the bolt from the block to the oil line.

With the new line made up, a handfull of new copper washers, 6 hi tensile new turbo to dump bolts, an oil filter and motul turbo light 4100 I headded home.

First issue I expected and that was the RB25 turbo does not have a nipple for boost pressure so I tapped one into the piping.

Test fitted the turbo to find the compressor housing needed to be rotated about 1cm as it was fowling on the exhaust manifold heat shield. once that was sorted it was a bolt on operation as you'd expect once all back together and oil and water changed, I started the car and let it idle for 10 min as per Aarons instructions.

Here are some comparison photos showing a stock RB20 turbo compared to the hiflow. Do you like the nice caked on oil? mmm dirty turbo

100_1188.jpg

100_1187.jpg

100_1186.jpg

I warmed the car up and drove for 20km with no boost and with the actuator set to 7psi and haven't driven it hard yet as it needs the injectors put in and the tune done. Injectors will go in tomorrow and tune on wednesday.

So far happy with the results. it is quite laggy at the moment. starts boosting at 2400 rpm and 7psi at 3800. keep in mind this is without tune. I am hoping to run 17psi and have full boost by around 4000rpm.

Will keep you all updated :rofl:

Edited by CEF11E

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i went out to mallala last night for drift prac with the new turbo on my 32 4 door. I have to say its pretty bloody good, its got a fair wack of power in 3rd gear right where i want it. However i was experiencing some lag issues.

All in all im pretty impressed with the turbo, with a propper tune on the dyno, i reckon i can get some more responce, earlier spooling and even more power.

Few questions for you simon.

Where is your usable power band in 2nd and 3rd Simon?. Also what is your "seat of the pants dyno" tell you.

Did you have any problem getting a seal on the oil supply to the turbo. You know how the surface of the carteridge has been machined and has slight striations on the surface? The copper washers I am using are sealing but these is a really tiny leak of about 3 drops of oil beading around the edge of the washer.

Took the car out thus morning but it was wet so couldnt give it any stick.

I was going to put the gtr injectors in and road tune it today but I don't have a wideband here and its too wet for road tune :)

Do you have a copy of the map you are currently using? can I have a look at it :/. What are your supporting mods?

Cheers :P

Hey mate!

powerband is from 4000 rpm til limiter, turbo takes a little while to spool but once its up to around 4000 it hammers from then on. Seat of the pants tells me around 190-200 rwkw's using my ceffy as a comparison, that had 200 rwkw and feels the same.

Copper washer's were hard to seal yes, i should have got some new ones from my work but the didnt have any that size. so i reused the old ones and did the bolt up tight, ran the car and it started leaking so while it was idling i tightened it up until it stopped leaking (this was 1/4 of a turn more thenw hat i had)

Jeff from the speed lab did my tune and he has my map as a copy, however this is my cefiro remap and is not suited to this turbo, it was mapped for my KKR. they are not the same really. Im getting a full tune sometime soon!

I have exhaust, cooler, and.. thats it :) 210-220 rwkw is my aim.

Thanks Simon.

Yep same for me with the oil line, just tightened it and its now fine. just tighter than usual.

boost seems to be starting around 2400rpm and possibly full noise at 4000rpm butI am not keen to give it a boot yet.

Also, Cefiro's use 27C128 eproms and Skylines use 27C256. did you just put the cefiro eprom in the skyline ecu or did you stack it and write it to a 27C256? or are you using the crff ecu in the R32?

Carefull.. there are some differences between R32's and cefiros :) AFM's are different and the temp sender is in a different location in the eprom :/

Edited by CEF11E

i am using the cefiro map burnt onto a R32 ecu eprom.

Cubes: yeah i ordered tghe rb25 highflow with the stage 3 wheel. My understanding is that the smaller comp cover wont fit the larger wheels used hence the need for the 25 covers, even then they are machined out.

less resonsive then the KKR atm, thats because mines not yet tuned for it. So once its properly tuned we'll see how it goes.however it makes a stack more top end!

Yep I am using the RB25 hiflow too. The only thing retained are the housings. the rest is all new.

The rb20 hiflow would be a bit quicker to spool but my logic was I can get 190rwkw from a stock rb25 turbo and that is close to what the rb20 hiflow would put out so I didn't really see it as much of an upgrade.

so I decided to go for the RB25 hiflow. driving normally is fine. It does not feel completly dead like a rb20 usually does with a huge turbo as these it posative manifold pressure from 2400rpm so most of the time boost is just a tap away.

Looking forward to getting the car to the drags as soon as its all tuned.

I took the original oil line and banjo bolts and asked them to modify the line. The guy told me that it wouldn't cost that much to make up a stainless one with the same banjos.

They are speedflow fittings and can be found everywhere that stocks speedflow. there are 2 parts to each end. A hose tail with female threadded insert and a banjo with male threadded insert.

The hose it braided stainless and comes on a roll and is just cut to size. then you slide the collett and olive over the braid and then push the tail of the fitting between the stainless braid and the inner line. then screw it all together. It took the guy about 5 min to match all the fittings and about 5 to screw it all together. no brazing or anything involved and it is rated to over 1000psi and hundreds of degrees

If you get all the bits from pirtek you don't get charged labour. so it will only cost you about $80. plus they have all different types of tail ends to suit any turbo.

So far happy with the results. it is quite laggy at the moment. starts boosting at 2400 rpm and 7psi at 3800. keep in mind this is without tune. I am hoping to run 17psi and have full boost by around 4000rpm.

I dont think you will be able to pick up an extra 10psi in a 200rpm jump even with a really good tune.

Anway good luck with it looks very nice.