SAU Community

Car Wont Start! Stranded In Town...help!

george.bryant

Hey guys,

I got drift_orcon's 4door r30 yesterday. Ran excellent from Christchurch back to Nelson...But now:

Travelled 30 km this morning to drop my gf off at a friends, travelled 30km back and visited my father. Went to start the car and it started but very rough.

I tried for 2 hours to sort it out, I tried another dizzy, AFM, bought a new ignition coil lead, reset ecu by removing battery terminals and pumping brake pedal a few times...but it help anything.

Me and my Dad couldnt figure it out, it was getting a strong spark, getting air and the fuel pump was priming so i'm assuming it was staging. We towed it to his friends son-inlaw's Auto Electrican company and they had the same problem then all of a sudden it started fine (they hadnt done anything to get it to start). I thought all was good and I drove back to town around 5km away), got to town and felt like i had 1% power. So I pulled into a carpark and went for a hour long walk. came back to the car and it started when I tried, i got about 400m down the road and it died at the traffic lights so these guys helped me push it outta the way.

I went for another walk and then came abck and tried to start it but it wouldnt go, it turns over and it sparks but it just doesnt start.

Then I walked home and talked to stagefumer11 on msn and he said he had the same problem and it was the ecu. So I grabbed a handfull of the ecus i have (5 in total), drove down in my Mum's car and tried to start it but no go, so then I started trying each ecu but I had the same problem. I can hear the fuel pump, im getting spark but its not starting! I've tried another AFM but no luck with taht either. I'm starting to get a real headache and really frustrated by this, plus im really worried about it sitting in town.

Does anyone have any suggestions that may help? Anything please I need help!!!

THANKS

P.S. the ppl i'm referring to are SDU users and stagefumer is on this forum :rofl:

simple way to test the fuel pump is pull the fuel line off of the fuel filter and turn the key and see if fuel squirts out but it sounds to me like its possible fuel pump or maybe a stuffed spark plug or plug lead

Ok I will try that test with the fuel pump. I'm thinking now that maybe the filter is blocked??

Even if a spark plug or lead was stuffed the car would still run wouldnt it?

Ok I will try that test with the fuel pump. I'm thinking now that maybe the filter is blocked??

Even if a spark plug or lead was stuffed the car would still run wouldnt it?

Yeah your right, it would but albeit very roughly...im assuming you've checked spark?? Maybe try listening to the fuel pump whilst trying to start the car see if it keeps pumping??? Check filter as well if all else fails, althought it'd have to be pretty blocked for no fuel to get through i'd rekon!!!

Yeah your right, it would but albeit very roughly...im assuming you've checked spark?? Maybe try listening to the fuel pump whilst trying to start the car see if it keeps pumping??? Check filter as well if all else fails, althought it'd have to be pretty blocked for no fuel to get through i'd rekon!!!

The auto electrician checked for spark and it was strong. I've never heard the fuel pump keep pumping whilst starting....i've heard it pump for 5 seconds but then stop (did that in my old r30).

Yeh I thought that about the fuel filter too, maybe Ill pull the hose off the filter that goes to the fuel rail and see if fuel spits out.

i know all to well about the pain of coping something in the eye ive coped a valve spring in the eye i was useing a dogey home made spring compressor (aka a G-clamp) and was leaning over it very close and had just got the second collet off and bang a spring operated eylid lol.

so dose fuel come out when you turn the key also you should dissconnect it after the fuel filter as well as before that way u can test the filter as well but when you disconnected the fuel line and got shit in your eyes was it before the fuel filter that u disconected it cos if it was and there was enough pressure to spray every where then it sounds like a verry blocked fuel filter if the fuel filter is blocked then every time u start the car the fuel pump it just putting more and more pressure in the line and that would also explain why it would go then stop because it would be getting blocked a bit and then the block would clear and it would go again

so my money is on a blocked fuel caused by dirty fuel but i could be wrong

I was thinking it may be the fuel pump, the previous owner seems to have thought that it overheated oneday?

Yeh petrol reallly hurts your eyebrows as weird as it may sound, my right eye is all red and my eye lid is numb...

The fuel filter was still on, i pulled the hose off the top of it (i was very stupid not to take the fuel cap off first to remove the pressure).

After that I didn't even turn on the car, i raced home and had a shower because i didnt wanna go blind or anything and i only had a 500ml bottle of water to rinse it off. I'll be going back down there tomorrow morning so i better goto bed so I can get there before work.

By the way here is the SDU link (not trying to make it confusing, its just some people may be interested in what others are saying: http://www.skylinesdownunder.com/forums/sh...ead.php?t=53472

Edited by george.bryant

My old R32 did something similar and it had good spark, so i thought it was the fuel pump. changed the fuel pump still the same, Ran the ECU in to diagnostic mode found the AFM had failed

i think he said he tried a new afm

could it be the spark plaug hole? like in my commo it did the same sort of stuff and then found out it was only the thread had cross threaded when the guy before changed spark plugs everytime i'd go over a bump it would wriggle loose, but i thought you could run a 6 cyl on 5 cylinders its worth a look coz after i got it rethreaded perfectly fine never turned itself off since starts everytime now

Cheers Paul.

My call is 1 of 2 things.

Timing? you say you have great spark at cold and nothing at hot?

It's my guess your IC Unit is stuffed.

There isn't much else it can be. You have spark & fuel, it has to be the timing or how it's getting the spark.

Cheers, D

My call is 1 of 2 things.

Timing? you say you have great spark at cold and nothing at hot?

It's my guess your IC Unit is stuffed.

There isn't much else it can be. You have spark & fuel, it has to be the timing or how it's getting the spark.

Cheers, D

Are you referring to Ignition timing (dizzy) or cam timing?

What do you mean by IC unit?

Ignition Timing, .

Ignition Control unit, or crank angle sensor, for want of another terminology.

The black box on the side of the distributor.

And you have a PM too.

Cheers, D.

I dont' have anything like that on the side of my distributor...

I've tried two distributors now and have the same problem.

Edited by george.bryant

You got me!

THere has to be compression, spark, fuel to make it go and you have it all.

Is there an air leak in the system? but that shouldn't be an intermittent effect, it should be constant.

I'm surprised the auto sparks couldn't fix it.

There has to be some control on the system, an CAS or similar. I have just searched the manual for a result, but I'm sure you would have gone through that check list, coz they say things like cold start sensor, air leaks, fuel pump etc etc .

I could understand a run rough under load, but not simply nothing.

Sorry!

D