SAU Community

Time for a new clutch!

I know it's been asked before, I did a search. But I couldn't find the answer I was looking for.

My clutch is now slipping, and every time I go for a drive all I can smell is burning clutch!

I have a stock R33. I want to get more power out of it over time, but for now it's stock. I want a clutch that allows me to drive normaly (not the whole "on/off" thing) but withstand a few more burnouts and draging then the standard clutch. Mine got stuffed the other night when a line lock went wrong and the clutch smoked instead of the tyres! :P

Justjap are advertising a "performance clutch" for around $500. Does anyone know much about that?

Do'h... :P

Not good..

I think there are two basic ways you can go for the power upto 200rwkw - 240ish.....

First is to go a full faced organic or ceramic clutch with a heavy presure plate, and second would be a 5 or 6 puck brass button clutch.

The full faced heavy presure plate will bite a little quicker that a factory one, hold more power, and give your left leg the Arnie look :)

The 5 or 6 puck clutch is very light (same as factory) and bites very quick and will hold more power.

Me and James (you know the other James) ahve put two 6 puck clutches in his and a mates car and both are holding great. While mine has a heavy presure plate type (car came with it).

If you don't mind a heavy peddal I'd go with the one I have, but it it would really pi$$ you off, then go with the 6 puck.

I think James got his 6 puck for $500 exchange or something like that.

If you want to compare the two, just let me know and we'll go for a spin out to James place so you can feel his, and feel mine - clutch that is !!!!

J

I went a Heavy Duty with 30% more clamping pressure ORGANIC Clutch.

At first I was happy with it but soon realised after a really hard launch at High RPM's the Organic compound would fade and cause second gear to slip with a hard change.

Go for a Kevlar based clutch with at least 30% extra clamping force. 30% isn't that much more noticible and still allows you to sit at the lights without you leg shaking.

Don't go Organic. Really depends on how much grip you are getting. If I launch at 4200-4500rpm it will fade the clutch. Organic has a higher fade degree so it can handle it.

When I say launch I don't mean dump the clutch, I mean ride it out at 4200-4500rpm to minimise wheel spin while the turbo is at max power.

This allows IF you run low tyre pressures and a decent set of tyres to get no wheel spin in first and allows you to sit next to a 4wd Launch and even bog you down if you give it to little revs. Depends on road surface also.

Don't waste your time with Organic. If I remember on SDU GTRBen or previously GTS4Ben used to use a Kevlar clutch and could ride the hell out of it yet it still would not slip or burn.

I run a 9 puck ceramic cushion button single plate with a 1016kg pressure plate (had it tested). Heavy on the leg - yep! I needed to get both master & slave cylinders full reco'ed to handle it! Driveable - easy as pie. Doesn't mind a you giving it a bit of slippage. Hasn't slipped on me yet.

Clutch kit cost - $720

The stock GTS25t pressure plate is supposed to be rated @ 800kg according to a few local websites. I've since been told this is incorrect & it is actually 650kg!? If so 1000-1100kg is a decent upgrade!

I have a similar problem to CanberraR33, but only get the burning smell after a hard launch (lasts for a few days) and it is definitely slipping on full power at high revs. Don't want a button clutch as it is a "daily driver". Jay95R33 and -Joel- , where did you get your clutches from? Anyone else suggest where I can get a good R34 GTR clutch?

whatsisname.. $720.. is that all for a 9puck?!?

I would probably go that over a kevlar standard when this clutch dies.

Do a search on SDU as GTRBen or GTS4Ben = same person... used to use the Kevlar's. I havn't used one only a organic that like a standard set of brake pads fade hence slip.

So Matt.. we will soon see a change of those best ET's in your sig soon.. :P Good Luck.

Joel,

I got a good price :P But they don't retail for much more anyway. This is basically the same kit - http://www.horsepowerinabox.com/mall/ck06.asp

Ring ACS/Xtreme & get a quote for the 1050kg pressure plate kit.

I'm hoping the ET will come down by @ least 0.1sec :)