SAU Community

Repairable Write-off

pablo101

Hey dude yea this is full on...

I had one done myself and i took a Faxed copy down to the joint when i was getting the VIV done and he didn't accept it.

I had to drive out and get an Original receipt for him to look at... even though he then went and copied it him self the original had to be viewed.

If you think that it's not a fair thing the decision made for the car id be tempted to speak to someone about it regarding the issue, as getting a VIV can be a pain in the ass..

If they are suspect of the repairs they will make you go to a professional and get them to say yes the work is fine..

Just a heads up..

[ iam repairing a r33 as it was a repairable ride off and its at the mechanics now getting engine in.... i was goin to repair it myself coz iam a painter by trade but coz of the viv i took it to a genuine panel shop so if they do pull me up on the repairs it goes back to the panel shop and then they can deal with it...the only thing iam doin is changing the colour..... havnt gone for the viv just yet ... but yeah ive been told it is a pain in the ass and iam not looking forward to it. anyways good luck with that. :P

32's and 33's are so cheap now-a-days that it is more expensive to get repaired professionaly than it is to replace, unless you have a high agreed value on it,

yes and no.... i got the car of a mate and coz iam in the trade :P this r33 has turned out good .... for me to buy a r33 in good nic lets say 15000?? then a couple of mods maybe a respray let alone change colour id be up for big bucks .. but now i have a great car show condition custom paint and on road for 11 and a half with wheels ... isnt that ok? :P

What if I the mechanic gives a road worthy certificate? Does VIV still need to test it and charge me?

yeah .. the viv isnt about the road worthy... its really to c if the car is repaird proply and not with a welder in your back yard on a friday night with a couple of cans and some mates........ i wish we could do that.

yes and no.... i got the car of a mate and coz iam in the trade :mad: this r33 has turned out good .... for me to buy a r33 in good nic lets say 15000?? then a couple of mods maybe a respray let alone change colour id be up for big bucks .. but now i have a great car show condition custom paint and on road for 11 and a half with wheels ... isnt that ok? :P

That's great, but you only proved my point :P These cars are sooooo cheap that it is cheaper to replace than repair. If you have not specified an agreed value on your insurance policy, they will sooner write off the car than repair and repaint.

So VIV ONLY look at what damage was caused due to the accident and whether it has been repared properly and/or by a professional???

Because I have some things which might not be road worthy ...ie loud exhaust, small sports steering wheel etc.

some one help me out !!

So VIV ONLY look at what damage was caused due to the accident and whether it has been repared properly and/or by a professional???

Because I have some things which might not be road worthy ...ie loud exhaust, small sports steering wheel etc.

some one help me out !!

yep they should only be looking at what was repaired and the repaire or panel shop has to fill out some form stating what was fixed and where they got the parts from....

you can do most of the work your self to save a bit of cash but let them do thye biggies like new towers and rails....

But after the viv you will then need a proper RWC so there goes your steering wheel and exhaust, id do this before you go to viv , try to make it look stock as a rock...... i wouldnt take any chances .. its scary stuff :D

yep they should only be looking at what was repaired and the repaire or panel shop has to fill out some form stating what was fixed and where they got the parts from....

you can do most of the work your self to save a bit of cash but let them do thye biggies like new towers and rails....

But after the viv you will then need a proper RWC so there goes your steering wheel and exhaust, id do this before you go to viv , try to make it look stock as a rock...... i wouldnt take any chances .. its scary stuff :D

thanks mate, good advice

That's great, but you only proved my point :D These cars are sooooo cheap that it is cheaper to replace than repair. If you have not specified an agreed value on your insurance policy, they will sooner write off the car than repair and repaint.

This is true logically speaking.

If something breaks down, and it's cheaper to replace than to fix, it's generally wiser to get a new one.

However, I know that I am rather attached to my car.

If my car was a repairable write off, it'd be smart to part it out and buy a new one, but part of me wouldn't want to see my pride and joy slowly become a skeleton picked at day by day. If I could repair it, I would.

So it's always personal choice.

If it's just transport, ditch it and get a newie.

If it's a source of pride and freedom, consider a repair.

Mate you will prob find you have to get the RWC then get the VIV done.

I know with mine i had to issue a graph off the rack to show that the car was straight.. it had to be within 2mm or it would fail the viv..

My panel beater is a gun at had it spot on :D..

Mate you will prob find you have to get the RWC then get the VIV done.

I know with mine i had to issue a graph off the rack to show that the car was straight.. it had to be within 2mm or it would fail the viv..

My panel beater is a gun at had it spot on >_<..

what did you you mean you had to get a graph off the rack? do you mean the panels must be straight?

Edited by pablo101