SAU Community

R32 Gts-t Universal Intercooler Install

sky20det

this thread is basically for all those who are or who are thinking of self installing a universal front mount intercooler kit on their skyline r32 gts-t (dont think there would be too much difference for a gtr, but dont quote me)

i dont know too much about cars, only a little more than the average joe. i dont even know how to hook up my mechanical boost controller yet! basically what im trying to say is that it IS NOT A HARD job to do.

and for all you guys thinking you have to cut the re-enforcement (reo) bar, WRONG! most people make the mistake of thinking you HAVE TO mount the cooler dead vertical. the cooler kit was designed to be mounted on an angle. if you are stressing about best air flow, probaly you should mount it vertical. i personally dont mind. after installing it, and taking it for a spin, mounting it on an angle didnt seem to make a difference as the cooler was dead cold after a drive anyway.

the only drama that i had was getting the pipe on the left (one under the battery tray) to fit. i had to trim off a section off it (you can see it in the pic with the BLACK hose connecting the pipe back together). i also had to trim a bit off the top of it to get it to connect back to the crossover pipe. generally i think this is because they designed the kit to fit 32's, 33's and 34 gts-ts/gtts.

i had minimal tools. got my hands on an angle grinder and thats about it. i mounted to cooler parralel with the bonnet catch hinge (basically closest i could get to the frame). this proved the only option anyway as the pipe coming off the turbo fitted exactly onto the end tank. there was no room for play there. i also had to cut the section that seperated the two standard intercooler pipes off to create a long oval hole.

as for cutting the hole under the battery, i learnt that using a cheap hole saw designed for wood didnt work. it just went blunt! so i ended up using the angle grinder to cut a square hole. bunnings wanted around $90 for a good quality 3" hole saw with adaptor. i couldnt justify buying it simply for one hole. so i made do without.

as you can see from the pictures, i didnt have to cut an inch off the reo bar, NOTHING! i believe you can get into some trouble in the event of an accident if you trim the reo bar from your insurance company. you cant see it, but i used the included long brackets to secure the cooler to the under body of my car. just the top frame wont hold it. i had to drill two little holes down there to secure it. as for the top frame, i bought a square alumininum pipe and an L shaped hinge (also from bunnings). measured where i had to drill holes, and drilled!

the angle grinder i used to cut the plastic front bar went through it like butter! i also did that cutting by free hand :mellow:

tools i used:

screwdrivers

drill

angle grinder

socket wrenches

spanners

to conclude, it took me the good of one day from morning to afternoon to get the front bar off, mount the cooler and pipes, cut the holes and put the bar back on. before i started, i couldnt find any real deep info on this universal intercooler kit installation. i hope these pictures and info helps you guys out.

post-26919-1164466512.jpg post-26919-1164466590.jpg post-26919-1164466627.jpg post-26919-1164466642.jpg

post-26919-1164466666.jpg post-26919-1164466683.jpg post-26919-1164466698.jpg post-26919-1164466711.jpg

post-26919-1164466728.jpg post-26919-1164466743.jpg post-26919-1164466756.jpg post-26919-1164466769.jpg

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
thank you, feel free to pm me or email me any questions you guys may have.. im more than happy to help.

Hey there, i am just new to the site.I am from Sydney Nova Scotia.Nice job on the tubing work there. I am doing the same thing to my 91 r32 gts-t as we speak.i am only boosting 10 psi and want to go to about 15psi and was told to upgrade my intercooler because the stock intercooler is to small to hold over 11psi.and i was wondering how i was going to plumb the driver side over to the stock charge pipes and seeing that you went under the battery location.do you have more pics showing what you cut or did under there.My email is [email protected] if you could send them to there.Thanks so much.here is what we have done so far.

P1080633.jpg

P1080640.jpg

Finished my tubing today.Can you tell me the most boost I can add with a aftermarket intercooler, cuz i don't want to add to much and harm any thing. would you say 15 psi of boost is safe? my car is a 91 gts-t thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

i did my intercooler install onto my 91 r32 gtst lastnight with a mate; took "only" 7 hours.. was an aftermarket Hypergear Turbo kit.

didnt have to cut the reo bar, just moved the horns from the vertical reo bar to the top latch. its sitting there freely, all i need to do is just use one of the mount brackets and secure teh intercooler onto the bottom of the chassis and its set.

havent realised much difference in boost but a fair bit in gain and overall power.

i went from having no clue as to how to install one, to installing it completely with a mate who hadnt done it before either.

very easy install and this tutorial did help a fair bit! didnt need to use that cross bar to OP used, its just sitting there freely, nice and tight, on a slight slant. :D

A+!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

hey mate did all the pipng, brackets, hoses etc come with the core as a kit? Im asking because I want to buy a kit for a 32 which means the pipes are probably shaped with the intention to cut holes, reo bar, etc and just need to consider how much modding to the pipes or whatever ill need to do. Actually looking at your guide probably not a lot?

Cheers mate.

• 4 years later...